High Power LED's

I just got a pair of these for reverse light replacement bulbs:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/301182272605

These are serious quality LED bulbs with 12 Cree XB-D 5W emitters, 4 behind a projector lens on the end pointed straight out, and 8 encased in a glass cylinder all around the sides. The construction quality looks better in person than in the photos on the ebay ad.

Reverse 2.jpgReverse 3.jpgReverse 1.jpgReverse 5.jpgReverse 4.jpg

I installed just one at first so I could do a direct comparison, and as you can see there was no comparison. The LED bulb is far brighter with wider dispersion. I also had a 35 watt halogen flood light that plugs in the trailer plug (which I don't need anymore), and this thing is far brighter than the stock bulb and halogen put together. It's nice to finally be able to see backing up.

My only complaint is I would prefer a warmer color. They are rated at 6000 k - not stupid ricer blue, but it's pretty obvious it's not 'natural' light. I would prefer 4500-5000 k, just so it doesn't shout "look at me! I have LED's!". Other white LED's are available in warm white, but I couldn't find any comparable to these.

Boring technical bits:
    Of course they aren't really 60 watts (60W is the rated maximum 5W per emitter for 12 emitters per bulb) - they are current limited to something below the maximum to extend life. In bench testing they drew 3.55 amps at 12 volts - 43 watts each. BTW - there are also 80 watt versions with 4 more emitters around the perimiter, but at double the stock wattage (assuming 54 actual watts) I'd be concerned about the contacts getting hot, and it's just not needed.

Even though they draw 15 watts more than stock bulbs, they are significantly cooler. I let them run for about 5 minutes, and they only got up to 125* F and stabilized - pretty warm to the touch, but won't burn. Certainly won't melt the housings or sockets, as they're far cooler than stock incandescent bulbs.

I have no bulb-out warnings on the VIC that you get with cheap-ass weak-ass LED bulbs without load resistors - I'm guessing it's because they are close to stock wattage.

The same bulb is also available as what's called a 'switchback' bulb, and I want to try a pair for the front bumper/turn signal lights. In this bulb half the emitters are white and half are amber, so when the turn signal is off they are white, and when they are flashing they flash amber. Pretty cool, unless you have euro amber bumber light housings (also cool). Since only half the emitters are lit at a time, they would be half the power of the white only or amber only versions... which is good since turn signals don't need to be as bright as reverse lights.

I also have on order 30 watt (probly 22 measured) red LED bulbs to try. They look the same, but have half the emitters, and they're wired to run full power braking, and lower power 'dim' mode for parking lights, like normal dual filament brake bulbs (not all LED's will do this). I'm curious to see if they will trigger the VIC bulb out warning - if not I'll also try single filament mode amber ones for the turn signals.

I'm also going to try the latest LED H4 headlight bulbs from Cyclops, in the name of science. If I lose my nice e-code beam pattern and sharp cutoff I'll return them and post the write-up here.

And then it's on to the interior lights... no more dead battery from leaving the dome light on!

Update: Oh, the shame. Something made me suspicious of my own power measurements, and sure enough, I must have misread the ammeter scale - they don't draw 3.55 amps at 12 volts, they draw .355 amps (a little over .5 amps at 13V). This does not change the fact that they are far brighter than the stock 27 watt bulbs, even though they are drawing less than 1/4 the power. Turns out the limiting factor in these things is the LED driver that's built into the base of the bulb, and without being externally mounted just can't be big enough to regulate anything above about .5 amps, no matter how many LED's it's driving.

I'm not sure why they bothered using a driver, or current limiter, or whatever, you could just wire them in series/parallel combination to get the target current per emitter - maybe I'll dissect one and try it. As bright as these are, if I got the emitters up to their rated (not maximum) power, at about 10 times what they are now, I better put my welding goggles on before testing them! I predict they will be bright as ****.

Should have known better... I would still recommend them, and I would buy them again, but duh - a single 43 watt LED bulb should be much brighter than two 55 watt halogen headlights.

Also, apparently the reverse lights are not tied into the bulb-out warning system- plugged one into a brake light to see what would happen, and got the lamp-out message.
    Last edited by carlmon; 03-16-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Boner

Great write up! I'm going with a roof basket mounted 20" Cree light bar with an override switch that will let me flash asswipe tailgaters.

Might have to get a set for my Dakota also. Pitiful back up lights.

looks nice!
    i need something to put in my back up lights too beacuse i'm backing up on faith!
    are those plug and play or do you need some modifications to install them?
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    looks nice!
    i need something to put in my back up lights too beacuse i'm backing up on faith!
    are those plug and play or do you need some modifications to install them?
    Backing up on faith! - that's exactly what it was like.

Yes, they're plug-n-play. Only hitch is they are polarity sensitive, which means they only work plugged in one way (like most LED's). Plug them in and try before inserting in the housings; if they don't work rotate in the socket 180*. Done.

Will do, thanks a lot
    i only have to check out the shipping cost.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

Mark buy them for cheap from China!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60W-B...5-074bc03afdf8

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Mark buy them for cheap from China!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/60W-B...5-074bc03afdf8
    thanks for the link, are they exactly the same ones?
    my channel

thanks for the link, are they exactly the same ones?
    Mark you have both links. Bring them both up in your browser side by side and compare the specifications. Give that a try.

They do look very close Tony, but they aren't the same. There are different color temperatures of white XB-D emitters, and the ones you posted are 8000 Kelvin, vs. the 6000 kelvin from ebay. In my opinion, even lower than 6000 would be better, and 8000 is too blue to be acceptable. If you find some 4500K ones let me know!

Also, look at the first photo showing the 4 emitters on the end behind the lens; the China ones are mounted out at the edges, while the ones from California are clustered closer to the center, which would give better distance projection. The devil is in the details! I would not recommend the Ali Express ones. It's just not worth saving a few bucks on an inferior product, even if it's similar.

Hopefully the ebay guy will ship to Italy. He should be able to ship for under $15 USPS First Class, if he's willing. Let me know how it works out Mark.

That's why I asked, I noticed the temperature difference, but I did not see the other things until Carl pointed them out.

edit: leds are illegal here, but i think i could get away with them since they are not always functioning...hoping nobody notiece it.
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 03-09-2016 at 03:12 AM.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    For something like reverse lights, I'd expect they're less likely to care. A lot of times, the criteria for those is just "they exist and they work".
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

edit: leds are illegal here, but i think i could get away with them since they are not always functioning...hoping nobody notiece it.
    Just don't back up in front of cops!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Those are cute...lol love the Aurora lights.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Those are cute...lol love the Aurora lights.
    Good one Sandy! I like the Aurora lights too. I was going to do it, but was hesitant to cut into my tailgate. Even though I don't need more reverse illumination now (thanks to these cute LEDs), I think the Aurora conversion just looks better than stock, and may still do it some day if I run out of other projects. What bulbs to those take?

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    3157, I think?
    - Sandy

So in the end I did not buy the LEDs bulbs. I bought 2 LEDs lights, I'm planning to weld them to n45 protection bar. Will post pictures
    my channel

couple of pics,
    as usual it will take me months to get them installed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my channel

hi guys,
    i installed the back up lights, check these pics
    IMG_0583.jpgIMG_0584.jpgIMG_0617.jpgIMG_0618.jpgIMG_0619.jpg
    i don't like the way they look, but it's way safer to back up now.
    my channel

Nice. And I don't think the placement of them looks bad at all.

I can't believe you have that bumper sticker. I ROFLd at that.

With all the problems you have with cops over there, they don't give you a hard time about that? Or do the cops over there 'no read-a de anglais'?

thanks,
    i've been having that sticker since 2011, coming from Williams Arizona!

keep in mind that the average italian speeks english way worse than me, the average cop is probably even worse lol
    my channel