Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need some headlights

Hi guys,
    i need some headlights (and fog lights work) because i can NOT see at night!
    to make an example, i can run on the road with fogs and hibeam switched on and not get flashed by incoming traffic!
    i can not bolt xeno or led because of the stupid italian laws.
    any advice on more powerful bulbs? any links?
    a friend of mine told me to swap H7, is it truly a good idea or is it bullshi*?
    thanks

ps: i writing this in performance modifications because obviously if i see the road better i can drive faster
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

RallyJeep GO
    Being a Euro ZG, you have the e-codes already. If they're that weak, then something is broken. They're pretty decent headlights already... Maybe add a relay harness with heavier gauge wiring and run better bulbs (55/100W H4s are nice, you get brighter high beams without the low beams standing out as modified).
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Yeah, they should be e-codes - but just to make sure, is the lens glass or plastic? Plastic ones are US DOT - and absolutely useless with a horrible beam pattern that lights everything but the road. I'm also very happy with my e-codes. US models come with HB1/9004, which have a measly 45 watt low beam. Combined with the piss-poor beam pattern it's dangerously dim.
    I think yours should come stock with HB2/9003 bulbs, which are interchangeable with H4 - which are available in just about every wattage combination you could imagine. I run 60 low, 80 high now, but I'm researching LED H4 bulbs from http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/ ... guess you can't do the LED swap in Italy though.

RallyJeep GO
    Carlmon, don't do drop-in LEDs. It's like putting an HID kit in there, they don't throw light anywhere near the same as a halogen filament, so they'll destroy the beam pattern of the housing.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I would never throw in just any drop-in LED... I'm just doing research at this point looking at these http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...00K_p_138.html
    - without the stupid blue filter of course. They mimic the width and position of the H4 filaments by having two emitters on either side, one pair in similar position to the low filament, and one pair for the high beam. They also encorporate a sharp low-beam cutoff. They use 4 Cree XML2 emitters, the latest available with maximum 10 watts and over 1000 lumens each. Assuming they're driven at 75% of maximum, that would still be approximately 50% higher lumens than a 65 watt halogen high-beam. Seems promising.
    I also looked at independent reviews, and I haven't found a negative review of the current generation ones. The ones they were making before 2015 had several negative reviews of the beam pattern, but it seems they dealt with those problems effectively. Here's one video review of last year's model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CR6WU-UbNw
    Check them out and let me know what you think.

Yeah i have the e-codes,
    i already changed the harness with realy, but got almost zero result.

a friend of mine gave me this link
    http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00EPLCP3U
    what to you think?

edit: i don't know why amazon says they do not fit on the zj...??
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 02-19-2016 at 01:32 AM.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

Go with one of logans retrofits
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    Go with one of logans retrofits
    He'll never pass inspection with them, they're too obviously non-stock.

Many of the Euro ZGs I have seen have up/down head light controls inside the cabin on the dash. If yours has that control I would check to see if it is functional and aiming the lights correctly. If this is not applicable to your Jeep then never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    Yeah i have the e-codes,
    i already changed the harness with realy, but got almost zero result.

a friend of mine gave me this link
    http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00EPLCP3U
    what to you think?

edit: i don't know why amazon says they do not fit on the zj...??
    Because Amazon doesn't know you have e-codes that take H-4. ZJ's take 9004's, ZG's take H4's (or the euro equivalent... HB2?).
    Those have pretty low power high beams - most are at least 65 watts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Many of the Euro ZGs I have seen have up/down head light controls inside the cabin on the dash. If yours has that control I would check to see if it is functional and aiming the lights correctly. If this is not applicable to your Jeep then never mind.
    You're smarter than you look Tony! If those have the headlight adjusting they might not be working right.
    Last edited by carlmon; 02-19-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Because race jeep.

RallyJeep GO
    If you've got a nicer harness already and it's got heavier than stock wiring, Hella sells some fairly inexpensive H4 100/55 bulbs (100w high beam, 55w low beam). I've got a set in my e-codes and have been happy with them. They also offer a 100/80 version, but the brighter low beams are more likely to stand out as being modified.

Here's a link to the 100/55 ones: http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H831.../dp/B000COBLJI

Definitely check the headlight adjusters. Any Euro ZG should have them.

@Ross, Rob is right, i'll never pass the inspection with the retrofits...sad but true

@Carl: understood thanks

@Rob: thanks for that link, i'll try to find out how much is the shipping to italy or if i can find them on ebay.it .

thanks

edit: i found these,
    http://www.ebay.it/itm/Hella-H4-100-...gAAOSwPhdVFlaY

same ones, right?

edit2: @Carl, i can not find 100/65...
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 02-20-2016 at 05:47 AM.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, those look like the same ones. Hella is a German company, so I'd expect they should be just as available over there as they are here.

Carl, i can not find 100/65...
    The ones you linked were 55/60 (low/high) - I was saying 55/65 is the standard most common one.
    There are several wattage combinations available for the H4 because it's probably the most used dual filament bulb.

ah, sorry, i was misunderstanding.

ok then i'll order these
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Carlmon, I'm pretty sure 60/55 is standard for H4.

I guess you're right... quick search yielded many more 55/60 than 55/65. Of course just about anything is available, up to 130 watt high.

RallyJeep GO
    130 watt high beams are just the biggest H4s you can find easily... You can find 170/100 bulbs (although most housings would probably self destruct from the heat).

ah, sorry, i was misunderstanding.

ok then i'll order these
    just placed the order
    took a little longer because i had some card issues...

btw,
    new questions:
    since i'm working on this subject, i'd also like to change bulbs in the fog lights.
    so...any links with some interesting bulbs?
    my channel

my channel

forgot to ask, are stock ones 55W?

thanks
    my channel

what do you guys think about these
    http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B00F...ilpage_o00_s00
    ?
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Those should at least be decent bulbs (almost definitely better than the stock ones). Keep in mind, the stock fogs are actually a true fog pattern, so if the weather is good, they won't do a lot to help you see. They're mostly useful for when the weather gets crappy (heavy rain, snow or fog).

thanks!
    btw i just placed the order from ebay,
    price was lower!
    i decided to give it a try.
    will keep you guys updated with a test in the fog!
    my channel

Already got the H3s , came in todayIMG_20160309_130543.jpg
    still waiting for those hellas...
    my channel