Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

tuning an euro spec pcm with SCT

hi guys,
    as you probably saw, there's an SF member who's selling some stuff.
    as i already writtend, i'm interested in the sct tuner.
    question is: assuming the tuner isn't locked, can i tune my euro spec pcm without having issues (like the check engine light)?
    thanks

edit, forgot to ask: if buy the tuner and an american pcm would i solve the problem? any issues running an american pcm on an european zg?

thanks again
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 10-14-2015 at 02:11 AM.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

RallyJeep GO
    SCT can tune the Euro PCMs just fine. The hardware is the same. Euro vs US is just a setting in the tune (which SCT allows changing), so as long as you get a tune that's set for Euro, it'll work great. I'm not sure what actually changes when that setting is changed, so it's possible a tune set for US would work without issues, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

ok thanks for the help,
    since i'm buying a used tuner i don't think it has a setting for euro...hopefully Flying Ryan will see this. If he doesn't see i'll send him an email.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, the tunes already on it won't be set for the Euro stuff. You could always try it and see if anything acts funny or causes a CEL and then get a revised tune if it's an issue.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    ok thanks for the help,
    since i'm buying a used tuner i don't think it has a setting for euro...hopefully Flying Ryan will see this. If he doesn't see i'll send him an email.
    Ryan Hogan is no longer a member here. It would be best to write to him directly.

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Ryan Hogan is no longer a member here. It would be best to write to him directly.
    He jumped ship on the 5.9 facebook group too. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    He jumped ship on the 5.9 facebook group too. Not sure why.
    He stated that he's moving on to concentrate on tuning other vehicles. His experience on our platform has not been rewarding for him. He will however continue tunes for his established Jeep customers. I contacted him because I have an unlimited tunes package and was concerned. I told Ryan I would most likely need just one more tune after I put my ride back together again. That made him happy. When I said I needed to provide him with data log files due to my Ford injector swap he suggested that I put the OEMs back in because data log tunes are far more complex. I understand his point.

RallyJeep GO
    Ah. That makes sense. After tuning one of these, I'm not sure I'd want to do another without the vehicle sitting in front of me. You can get it close from the data logs, but it's never 100% until you can see and feel what it's doing and how it reacts in a bunch of situations.

So now that Ryan's out of the picture for new customers, who do you guys recommend using? I was looking for a different guy anyway because I suspected he was too busy with other things - and apparently I was right. Any experiences with Sean@hemifever or Chris@christuned?

The only one I found locally that does both SCT and Mopar is http://www.themustangshop.com/dyno.cfm - but I'm not sure if local service trumps Mopar Magnum specific experience when it comes to tuning.

RallyJeep GO
    I've had no experience with Chris personally, but Sean has been tuning JTECs for a while. He's not necessarily the best regarded tuner out there, but I ran one of his tunes (basically a tweaked canned tune, not datalogged) for a while and it ran pretty decently.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    So now that Ryan's out of the picture for new customers, who do you guys recommend using? I was looking for a different guy anyway because I suspected he was too busy with other things - and apparently I was right. Any experiences with Sean@hemifever or Chris@christuned?

The only one I found locally that does both SCT and Mopar is http://www.themustangshop.com/dyno.cfm - but I'm not sure if local service trumps Mopar Magnum specific experience when it comes to tuning.
    I wouldn't want to say Ryan is out of the picture. It would be best to write to him with your particular needs. My choice would always be Ryan over Sean due to his attention to detail.

RallyJeep GO
    There's also the option of buying the SCT Pro Racer Package and tuning it yourself. I attribute it mostly to having the Jeep in front of me while tuning and being able to test out lots of little tweaks easily, but I can say the tune I've done for my ZJ is better (IMO) than what either Sean or Ryan had for it. I'm probably not making any more power than either of their tunes, but I have gotten some extra mpg out of it and the general driveability is definitely better.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    There's also the option of buying the SCT Pro Racer Package and tuning it yourself. I attribute it mostly to having the Jeep in front of me while tuning and being able to test out lots of little tweaks easily, but I can say the tune I've done for my ZJ is better (IMO) than what either Sean or Ryan had for it. I'm probably not making any more power than either of their tunes, but I have gotten some extra mpg out of it and the general driveability is definitely better.
    That kind of makes sense... It's going to cost me more than the software purchase price for tuning at a dyno-tuner, but for my first time doing EFI tuning, I think it's worth it to have it done professionally... especially since it will be tuning for supercharger, heads, etc. I'm guessing there's a big advantage to tuning in person rather than by email, which is why I'm leaning toward the local dyno-tuner. I would think being able to test while tuning would make it much easier to nail it.

For email tuners it looks like Chris is the guy of choice on Dakota and other Dodge groups. I've seen lots of rave reviews, and no complaints.

RallyJeep GO
    Sounds like a plan to me. This was my first vehicle I've tuned with EFI, but I had an idea of the basics from a few friends and from a bit of work with carbs. Plus, I'm not boosted, so it's a little simpler on mine (and a little more margin for error).

my channel

i sent a email to Ryan, but i got no answer yet.
    do you know if he still answers to this email addres?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my channel

hey mark i couldnt find the other thread with track pics, but i have tons of mine from yesterday when i went racing, once i figure out how to upload them using my phone i will

Hi,
    thanks, if you want this is the link where i was asking
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...082#post155082
    my channel

SCT Tuning Guru
    Someone pointed me in the direction of this thread, and this will more than likely be my last post on this topic and on this forum.

I have withdrawn from the FB groups and most of the forums for a few reasons.
    For one, the Jeep V8 crowd in general seems to be the most difficult to deal with- either refusing to follow basic instructions, refusing to listen to sound and dyno/street data that dictates a certain course of action is best to achieve the results they're looking for.
    Tuning these, isn't rocket science. Yet this community continues to insist on reinventing the wheel, and failing to improve on it.
    This community also seems to fail to grasp that I have a life outside of tuning- to the point where I have had to block people because of being harassed because of either not giving out a ton of free tech, or not answering their questions right away. There are limits to both my time and patience.
    I would much rather spend my time focusing on tuning vehicles, than arguing with some armchair hotrodder on a internet forum that somehow knows better. The latter is a colossal waste of my time, and accomplishes nothing for anyone.
    I'm not the end-all be-all to tuning- After ~500 vehicles, I am still learning- but I would argue I know these engines from a tuning standpoint better than most. The numbers do not lie.
    I am also very tired of the moaning and groaning I get from this crowd on pricing- it is borderline insulting- I don't think any paying customer can make the argument that they didn't get their money's worth. I am still cheaper than most dynotuners, and consistently produce better drivability, mileage, and power. My last 2 dynotunes that I had previously done email tuning on were within ~5whp (That's a 1.5% difference on a 330 whp truck) and 1* timing away from best power on the dyno. One of those made 15-20 whp more than the previous highest HP stock shortblock NA 360 Magnum.
    I am still actively taking on Jeep/JTEC Customers, however, I am using my new schedule and my time previously spent on forums, and dedicating it to R&D on newer platforms.

I'm not sorry I am focusing on my work instead of BSing and arguing. I'm happy to provide tech and consultation, it will however now be done within the confines of email/phone-based/in-person and my tuning FAQ.
    Always outmanned...Never outgunned

Hi guys,
    bringing this back!

if everything goes as planned, on monday i'll receive the sct tuner and and american spec pcm.

the guy who sold them to me (who's been very cool so far) advices me to try to install the american spec pcm into my zg and tune the american spec pcm itself, before trying to tune my euro spec pcm.

i'm concerned about this for 3 reasons:

1) i'm not sure the american spec pcm and the euro one are swappable, do they serve exactly the same functions?

2) emissions! here in italy every 2 years we have to do an emissions test, do you guys have exactly the same emissions standards?
    (honestly i don't even know the italian parameters)

3) i do a lot of mudding (that's the only thing about offroad that i truly enjoy lol), so removing a pcm full of shi* and installing another one means getting both pcms dirty.

what do you guys think?

Ps a friend of mine is running a wg 4.7 ho with a superchip with no problems.
    thanks
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 01-28-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    my channel

The PCMs are sealed units. The connectors are sealed as well I believe. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't go spraying the thing down with pressurized water.
    Last edited by csouers; 01-28-2016 at 04:19 PM.

RallyJeep GO
    AFAIK, the only differences between the US and Euro PCMs are in software. So it shouldn't matter too much which one you use once it's tuned.

10.4 thanks
    btw a friend of mine just told me that he had no issues with his zg niner tuned with the sct handheld tuner.
    my channel

Our emissions vary widely from state to state Mark.

Some states don't even have emissions testing, some require it every year. In a lot of states like Massachusetts the vehicles become exempt after 15 years, some places like Cali have it for a lot longer than that (or possibly forever?) I believe.

For 2WD vehicles I think they plug it in plus they put it on a roller table (like a dyno, but just so the wheels can turn in drive) but very few places had AWD roller tables so for stuff like ours it was just a plug in test through the OBD2 port, and I think they ran the idle up to 1500 or 2000rpm for a bit.
    Probably best if you don't tell them it has a Tcase that allows 2WD, LOL

I'd ask your testing guy how they do it. Depending on how they check it, you might also have to drive it for a bit to get it to pass, even if it runs fine and there's no CELs. Once the battery or PCM has been disconnected the PCM has to go through a few cycles of on/off/driving to get all it's "ready" statuses for all the systems the PCM checks.
    In MA when we had emissions most of the systems had to show "ready" or it would fail by default just because there wasn't enough info in the system.

About the only problem that might come up is if the US PCM is a CALI PCM and your Jeep is FED (as in US federal) - but I believe Europe had stricter emissions requirements (?) so your ZG is probably CALI.
    If the PCM is CALI and the Jeep is FED, it will have a CEL because it can't find the Leak Detection Pump valve it's looking for.
    If it's FED the PCM isn't looking for that, so it doesn't matter if the Jeep has it or not. (Unless the emissions machine is looking for it in particular)

You should be able to tell by whether there's one connector or two plugged in at the EVAP thingy on the inner fender by your air cleaner.

RallyJeep GO
    The settings for Fed / Cali and such can all be changed in the tune anyway, so it should be possible to get it all working just fine. It just might take a few tweaks to the tune.