46RH/46RE stator bushing clearance

Hi

I am done rebuilding my transmission except for one problem:

After pressing in all the bushings I found the stator bushing (1.30" OD, 1.18" ID) could not fit the shaft. This is the bushing through which the input shaft goes through. I pulled it out and I ordered a few duplicates to try experiments with.

To make a long story short, after several attempts I now have a bushing with a clearance of 0.004"

Is this too large? Should I pull it out and try get a situation where it is smaller?

What is the optimum bushing clearance? I've read it should be 0.0005 through 0.003 with an absolute maximum of 0.004.

I've also read _not_ to make it too tight or it could bind to the shaft.

Assuming one has a perfect bore and journal, and you do no honing, what will the bushing clearance be? I'm using the Pioneer but-end bushing which I'm told is the only style still made.

Thanks
    Last edited by paulsheer; 06-24-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Here is an update:

The bore that the stator bushing goes into is out-of-round. I assume this is a common problem, because I read that there used to be a bushing that was too-large and needed to be reamed to the correct size after pressing.

So this makes sense considering that many people complain how difficult it is too fit. The 46RH bushing kit actually comes with two of the same bushing in case you mess up.

The procedure to get this right is as follows:

0. Buy a pack of five bushings. This is about 10 or 20 bucks from ctpowertrain on ebay.
    1. Remove the bushing using Chrysler bushing thread tool. If you don't have the tool or an appropriate blind bushing removal tool, than carefully bore the bushing out with a lathe.
    2. Fit one and check the clearance using the following method:

- remove the seals and try fit the shaft -- do not force the shaft in if it does not fit.
    - measure play at the spline (the spline that goes into the torque converter).
    - measure the play again at 90 degrees.
    - measure the distance (L) between the bushing center and the point on the spline where you measured the play.
    - measure the length of the journal and the bushing and take whichever is less. (u)
    - calculate f = 2 * L / u. Divide the play by f to get the clearance.

3. A good play is between 0.001 and 0.0025. If it is too large, buy a new stator. If it is too small, or you can't fit the shaft into the bushing at all, then proceed to step 4.
    4. Remove the bushing.
    5. Mount the stator on a lathe and use a dial indicator to center it to within 0.0005.
    6. Mount the Dremel power tool (or similar) onto the tool post.
    7. Very lightly grind the inside bore. For me, the Dremel took material from one side only because the bore was ovoid. It is easy to take too much material, so be conservative.
    8. Clean the stator and goto step 2.

I got my bushing clearance 0.0015 on one axis and 0.0025 on the other axis. So it is still out-of-round. Hope this is ok.

(When pressing the bushing, use a shop press. The bushing is but-join and slightly open, so wrap a thin strip of tape to hold the bushing closed. Once it has gone in a small amount, remove the tape.)
    Last edited by paulsheer; 06-24-2015 at 07:10 PM.