E-code lense adhesive failure

I was checking fluids on the ZJ this am and noticed the drivers side lense was leaning forward and fell off in my hand as I touched it. Glad I caught it before it fell off and shattered. The pass side lense is a replacement and it also is failing.

Anyone experienced this and have a suggestion on a good product to repair these?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yup. I pried mine off once to clean it out. The 'glue' that holds the glass in place is kind of like a putty that stays sticky. I removed all that, cleaned both sides of the sealing area thoroughly with alcohol, and sealed it back together with a bead of clear RTV silicone, but you have to let it dry at least a day before reinstalling. You want to make sure there's enough silicone that it squishes out slightly, but not so much that you end up with globs of goo inside (you can wipe globs from the outside easily). Mine has held for a couple years with no leaking.
    There are some clear roofing adhesives that stay sticky and might work even better, but might take even longer to set.

RallyJeep GO
    The Crown e-codes do this after a while. When mine started to go, I pulled the lenses, cleaned out the old goop and re-sealed them with some E6000 I had sitting around (it's an epoxy, stronger than RTV, but still flexible when it cures). Did that, let them cure for a few hours and put it back together. No issues since.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

UV6800 is the same thing with UV stabilizers in it. E6000 isn't rated for outdoor use, although in practice I'm sure it would last for years..

RallyJeep GO
    Huh. Didn't know that. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it for degradation then. I do know the stuff can take a beating though, I've used it to hold parts of a bumpstop setup on (and then pounded the crap out of them at a rallycross the next day) and had them hold up perfectly.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Huh. Didn't know that. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it for degradation then. I do know the stuff can take a beating though, I've used it to hold parts of a bumpstop setup on (and then pounded the crap out of them at a rallycross the next day) and had them hold up perfectly.
    Actually, I've never tried either - just researched E6000 since you mentioned it and noticed the UV thing- but I'll definitely find something to try the UV6800 on after your hardy recommendation.

Appreciate the input guys.. I decided to go with 3M Window Weld. Local autozone has it in stock, gonna go pick some up.

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...ne/464397_0_0/

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
    Appreciate the input guys.. I decided to go with 3M Window Weld. Local autozone has it in stock, gonna go pick some up.

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glu...ne/464397_0_0/
    Also handy for modding stock motor mounts to stiffen them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Also handy for modding stock motor mounts to stiffen them.
    I remember reading that, and a Google search for the Window Weld brought a few pics of just that..

I do need a set of mounts, i'll try that before I install them. Thanks for the reminder.

i cleaned mine up, used right stuff RTV on mine
    Slate 5.9 Limited 8"/ARB/IRO/KOR/OME/231
    White 5.9 Limited stock/231/30's
    93 ZJ SE-5.9 LTD clone