P0582 Code AND no speedometer

Hey everyone...I took the jeep out this weekend for its first run and it did awesome.

On my way home, I made a stop and when I got in and started up the jeep I had a CEL on and the speedometer was no longer working.

I pulled the code: P0582 (Speed Control Vacuum Solenoid Condition)

I thought I saw something in my research about a brake light being out could cause this but I am not sure how true that is. I did crack my taillight so once that is fixed I can rule that out.

Anyone have any idea what could cause this? As well as my speedo not working?

Brake lights have nothing to do with CELs. How's the wiring look for the VSS? Any cuts, breaks, or shorts?

Take a look at you vacuum lines that go to the cruise servo. If there is a leak in that part of the system it could pop that code.

Seems odd you have no code for the speedo but you have one for cruise control. Are you by any chance using an SCT to read the codes?
    The SCTs aren't good for reading the Mopar codes. (at least that was the case with the early SCT handheld. New one might be better, maybe?)

Other than that - what they said ^. Check speedo wiring, Check for vac leaks and wiring near the cruise bellows.

Thanks guys, I will definitely check out the vac lines at the cruise control.

I am using a SCT to pull the codes so I'll hook up my regular code reader when I get home just to verify.

I also have a few np231's in the garage so I'm going to try to swap the VSS and see if that is the issue as well. It's just so strange that they went at the same time.

Thanks to Z, I used my regular code reader and it was a P0500 - speedometer related. I pulled the VSS and it was destroyed. I think I was off a mark when I installed it a few days ago. I swapped out the gear with another one I had in the garage and properly clocked it. Code is gone and my speedo is back.

Good on you!