Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Modern art: turning Bambi into Landshark

Finally starting my build thread. Named my niner Bambi. A deer hit the front end of my 97 5.2 Limited; my insurance company totaled it, and I bought the niner with the proceeds, so the unfortunate young buck became my niner's namesake.
    P1010126.jpg(not this one!)
    In my mind, modern art isn't that pointless Andy Warhol crap, it's art in a modern medium - including customizing cars - so this thread is about my latest artistic effort.
    Got Bambi as a bone-stock Canadian platinum 5.9, in excellent condition with no rust anywhere. Bolts come out without PB Blaster. I'm terrible about taking 'before' photos, so my 'before' pics already have new wheels, tires, all exterior lights, sway bars, SS 3" exhaust, Thorley's, Bilsteins, Alpine, etc., etc. - but the best is yet to come.
    So- here's my canvas as it sits today, 18 months into the project (more to come shortly):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by carlmon; 05-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Nice! Reminds me of my Ms. Plat before she went out of commission and up on jack stands.

Love the look of the wheels. Where did you get them?

Thanks - I love the look of those wheels too... looks like they were born for the platinum 5.9 more than the stock niner wheels. They are Privat Kraftwerk 18". Offset was perfect without spacers. Didn't even have to paint them to match!

Hi,
    very cool z, i love those tail lights protections and those wheels

edit: what's the et on those?
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 05-12-2015 at 07:00 AM.
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Nice wheels, nice stance!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    Hi,
    very cool z, i love those tail lights protections and those wheels

edit: what's the et on those?
    What's "et"? - all I can think of is 'elapsed time'!

In case you're interested, the tail light covers are Tuff Covers V5024k - I think still available at Summit and others, but not sure. Had mine on my 97 for 15 years, painted and slapped them on Bambi, in case I decide to drive fast through brush backwards.

BTW- I didn't mention; the tires are Pirelli Scorpion ATR 255/60/18. When I burn all the rubber off those I have two sets of the same tire in 255/55/18, a discontinued size that's very close to stock OD. Bought 'em on closeout for under $500 for all 8! How could I not?

I meant the offset of the rims, i tought that ET=offset
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    I meant the offset of the rims, i tought that ET=offset
    And so it is... maybe a European designation. I think there was only one option for the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. If that's correct, it's 6.13" backspace, which works out to 35mm offset on an 8.5" rim.

I know I kind of obsessed over intake manifold options a little, but in the end it came down to what was actually available. Picked up this one from a fellow speedfreak. Some kind of alien fungus was growing on it, but after a thorough cleaning it came out OK.
    P1012542.jpg
    The SC bracket courtesy of Sandy cleaned up pretty good too!
    P1012545.jpg
    Last edited by carlmon; 05-12-2015 at 11:54 PM.

I haven't gotten around to cleaning these parts yet.
    P1012548.jpg
    Last edited by carlmon; 05-13-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    And so it is... maybe a European designation. I think there was only one option for the 5x4.5" bolt pattern. If that's correct, it's 6.13" backspace, which works out to 35mm offset on an 8.5" rim.

thanks
    my channel

ooh, shiny!

What are those parts for (the ones after the super charger bracket pic)?

Quote Originally Posted by dukefromthecave View Post
    ooh, shiny!
    Glad somebody noticed!
    Had no idea how much work I was in for, but once you start you can't go back to bare cast look. It makes me appreciate how small the upcharges are when parts come with a polished option - they must have them polished in China, and pay the polishers in rice.

For some reason i felt the need to polish my timing cover when it was off. Holy crap that took forever; and like you said, once you start you gotta finnish. At least you can see the intake...

Quote Originally Posted by NYNiner View Post
    What are those parts for (the ones after the super charger bracket pic)?
    What- no guesses? The two cylinders will be tensioner pulleys to maximize belt-wrap on the supercharger. The addition of an extra 3" pulley between the alternator and SC drive pulley increases the contact area with the 2.7" pulley by 25% over the original 3.125 Vortech drive pulley. This more than compensates for the additional torque on the smaller drive pulley. A 2" longer belt (106.5) is required - the closest shorter belt is 104.5, and 113 is the next longer, so you kind of have to engineer the pulley size to match the belt instead of the other way around.
    The other parts are for fuel rails.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    What- no guesses? The two cylinders will be tensioner pulleys to maximize belt-wrap on the supercharger. The addition of an extra 3" pulley between the alternator and SC drive pulley increases the contact area with the 2.7" pulley by 25% over the original 3.125 Vortech drive pulley. This more than compensates for the additional torque on the smaller drive pulley. A 2" longer belt (106.5) is required - the closest shorter belt is 104.5, and 113 is the next longer, so you kind of have to engineer the pulley size to match the belt instead of the other way around.
    The other parts are for fuel rails.
    Cool keep us posted! Want to sell me a couple of the tensioner pulleys? Really like the idea.

Cool keep us posted! Want to sell me a couple of the tensioner pulleys? Really like the idea.
    I wasn't first to think of it... Vortech makes something similar for other applications, and Eddie did something similar with a welded bracket. I think Eddie used a readily available March pulley, but I don't know what size, or what belt he ended up using - and that's the key since the longer belts have wide gaps between lengths.
    I won't be machining any pulleys to sell - I have non-CNC machines, so it takes forever to make things, but they work well for prototypes and one-off parts. However, I did design the pulleys and the bracket on a CNC program, so after I test fit mine and confirm it all works as expected, I may see if there's enough interest to make a small production run. The bracket I designed is billet aluminum, and mounts directly to the Vortech supercharger body, so there's no flex or misalignment possible.

More shiny stuff!
    P1012550.jpg
    P1012551.jpg
    Made the two 3" idler pulleys from billet bar stock on my ancient Logan lathe, with lightening holes bored on the back side. Total overkill built - upper pulley takes two 40x12x1/2" bearings, lower pulley two 40x12x16mm bearings, so though they use different axle diameters the pulleys are identical. Machined the bearing recesses with .0015 interference fit, so when pulleys are heated to 200 degrees bearings can slide in without a press, and secured with 3 button head cap screws.
    Drive pulley is 2.7" 7 rib from superchargerrebuild.com - of course I modified it to match the curved face of the idlers because I can!

HS 1.7 non-adjustable roller rockers are arriving tomorrow - bought them off the 5.9 facebook page (who knew facebook was actually good for something!), so stage 1 of the install portion will begin soon: RR's, valve covers, Intake manifold and 52mm TB.

Stage 2 will be test fitting the SC and intercooler, and installing all the SC accessories: heat exchanger (going in place of evap canister), routing cool air intake duct, remove oil pan and install Milodon windage tray, SC oil drain fitting, and Melling M72HV oil pump (nothing wrong with the original yet, but might as well upgrade while I'm in there!), and install new high volume fuel pump (ugh). And move the battery somewhere (still mulling my options there).

Stage 3 is fuel injectors, SC hook up and SCT tune, melt tires.

Stage 4 big brakes. Stage 5 aluminum heads. Stage 6 - something on the suspension... maybe lower, variable height coil-overs?? I'm not willing to make it a street only Jeep, but would like to do more to improve road handling beyond the sway bars and Bilsteins.

Today I'm performing the evap delete to make room for the intercooler heat exchanger. Was going to relocate the evap canister instead, but decided delete is easier, and saves several grams.

Might as well get a cam too. Please sell me a set of your pulleys!

Will you post more info about intercooler and heat exchanger like p/numbers pictures or links?
    Last edited by MonaDeRio; 06-01-2015 at 12:34 AM.
    SCT X3. Custom cam. Crane gold race roller rockers. Fully ported 2.02 R/T heads.. Mike Leach Headers. Full 3" cat back exhaust. Custom full return fuel system. Aeromotive 340 in-tank fuel pump. Aeromotive dual port adjustable fuel regulator. Holley 2 x 52mm TB. High stall torque converter 2800 . 24# Bosch Ford Racing injectors. MSD ignition box and coil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might as well get a cam too. Please sell me a set of your pulleys!
    Well, yes - SC specific cam when aluminum heads (with enlarged CC's) go in. Fixed RR's will be replaced then too... many small things unmentioned, like thermo-electric fuel rails, niner hole louvers, boost limiter valve, and gluing a small squirrel on it.
    Thanks for the compliment on the pulleys... seriously though, I'd have to charge hundreds a piece. The two took me three days to make - they might look simple, but it was a ton of high-precision work on an analog lathe. I'm sure there are other 75mm pulleys available. Once mine are test fit with the belt on the supercharger, I will see if there's enough interest in reproducing my bracket (designed, but not yet made) and pulley setup by a mixture of CNC and off the shelf parts. I would think there would be enough interest between here and various Dodge forums to make a small CNC production run cost effective. It usually takes about 20 pieces to get close to the lowest unit production prices - which would be less than 10% of what I would have to charge to make them on my analog equipment.
    Also, the truth is a cheap plastic pulley will actually perform better than my blingy aluminum ones because even though mine have niner lightening holes, plastic is still lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MonaDeRio View Post
    Will you post more info about intercooler and heaat exchanger like p/numbers pictures or links?
    Eddie- yes, but be warned I haven't confirmed either will fit yet, and both will require modification.
    Part of the reason I'm yanking my evap canister today is to test fit a cardboard mock up of the heat exchanger I want to use. It's a tight fit, and I want to make sure it will fit before ordering. With caveat, here's the one I hope will fit http://www.ebay.com/itm/271749324140 . I already know for certain the mounting tabs on the sides would have to be cut off, and a new mounting plate welded on with mounting holes on the front and back instead of the sides. With the evap canister gone, the inlet and outlet fittings will come up through the sheet metal the canister was mounted to, and the water lines will come out the same hole where the evap plumbing was (both below the driver's headlight).

I haven't bought the intercooler yet either, but the one I want will have to be customized since the inlet is 2" instead of 2.75 (the outlet is correct 3"), so I'm going to have a section of 2.75" tube welded in (I'm not set up to weld aluminum). I might make the new fitting with a built-in clamp so it can clamp directly to the SC outlet instead of using a silicone coupler, since there's not much length or lip on the outlet for a coupler to grab securely. This is the one I'm planning to customize: http://www.ebay.com/itm/250756019963 The nice thing about this one is I believe the length and offset are close to the dimensions of the original Vortech charge tube, with most of the core offset to the passenger side, where there's more room. All the other ones I've seen have the inlet centered on the core, so they can't be installed square. When I have the inlet welded, I'll also have the bypass flange welded on the inlet side and boost limiter bung on the outlet side, and there's lots of room on this intercooler to do it.

By the way - when you were running without your supercharger recently, what did you run for the accessory belt? I'm going to have to do this after I test fit my SC, brackets and pulleys, and it would be nice to know the correct length belt to have on hand so I can leave the brackets and tensioner in place.
    Last edited by carlmon; 05-31-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Follow up - the fit is too tight for comfort, so I think I'll go with my second choice for the heat exchanger: http://www.frozenboost.com/water-to-...cf49622de71138
    I noticed the one in the ebay ad is in China, so if the core width is even a hair more than the 11.4" listed then return would be difficult. Frozenboost already confirmed the width of the core on their type 114 is 11.25, so it will have a little margin for easy fit. Like the ebay one, the top mounting tabs will have to be cut off and another mounting plate attached... but at least I'm confident it will fit, and it's returnable just in case. It's a little shorter with 30 plates instead of 34. Overall I think it's the best option for that location.