Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: track day ;)

track day ;)

Hi guys,
    on the 24th of may a friend of mine is organizing a track day in the Marzaglia racetrack,
    this is a link for it: http://www.autodromodimodena.it/insi...e=29&element=1
    i know that is in italian, but the you can see the pics of the track.
    i'm going IF i get the new ring and pinion before that date.
    the idea is to take off like a bat out of hell while doing a burnout and doing a couple of laps without killing it with my gf in the car. After that i'd like to let my gf out of the car and try some laps with the foot on the floor alone in the car.
    i'd really like to get the jeep back home in one piece lol
    assuming i'll get the diff fixed...do you guys have any advices?
    thanks
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Keep the rubber side down!
    What a beautiful facility! Is it a bunch of Jeep guys, or an open day?

Wow that is a beautiful place Mark!

Hope you get the Jeep fixed in time

hi guys,
    thanks yeah...
    btw this last year even, only american cars
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNsXXILkRXA
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel

hi guys, i think i won't be able to get the new ring and pinion for the 44a before the event. So i'm thinkin to go with the jeep as it is right now.
    i have a couple of question:
    1) will it help to run in 4wd full time instead of 2wd?
    2) will it help to get as lightweight as possible?

new plan is to do 3 laps easily, and after that to do 1 more lap with the foot to the floor.
    my channel

got some serious weight reducion today, removed back seats and a lot of other stuff
    see my build thread
    my channel

hi guys,
    checked all fluids today, looking good
    i really hope to not break anything tomorrow...wish me luck
    my channel

Good luck!

Let us know how you make out

thanks

that's for sure
    my channel

hi guys,
    here i am, i took the z back home in one piece, wich is an awesome thing
    i did not break the rear end, i was very worryed about that.
    i started the first lap light on the gas, the second one little heavier and the plan was to run every lap faster, but it didn't work out because my brakes faded away at the beginning of the third lap.

a couple of reflections:
    1) brakes did not perform well, at the beginning of the third lap (as i was saying) they gave up. i had to push the pedal almost to the floor with poor braking performance...i even have drilled front rotors.
    my guess is that the right front rotor and pad are dead because of the troubles i had a while ago (if you remember, i locked the front caliper on the highway and i throw water on it because it was smoking like crazy...) so the left one was doing all the work. In effect when i parked the car the left one was very very hot and smelling very very bad (i tought some damages happened but now it looks cool).

2)still not fast enough

3)suspensions are defenetly not for the track, it's too high (it's stiff, but it's too high), and it should be at least 2 inches wider...but alloy wheels with some serious backspace seem impossible to be found.

having said this i had a ton of fun anyway, i'll try to post some pics, vid will arrive as soon as possible.

edit: opinions? advices? just let me know
    my channel

Looks like an all American track day!
    Performance Friction carbon metallic brake pads are the easiest and cheapest upgrade for your brakes. They simply don't fade - they actually brake harder when they get hot, so would be good for the track. Part no. 477.20 front, 666.20 rear. Got my last set off ebay - seller's ID is staralt - I think he didn't have the rear ones listed, but had them available when I asked.
    You could always use wheel spacers on your wheels. They might give a little rollover prevention, but can't really make up for a 2" lift.

Glad you had a good time Mark.

It's nice to see that there's appreciation for American cars in Italy, home of the supercars!

more pics, my license plate is for you, read post #2 lol

yeah, it was all american because it was organized by an american car club.

thanks for the input on the pads, will sure do as soon as i destroy completely the ones i'm running now.

about wheel spacers...i can't run them here, because they are illegal like all the other mods. But there are a bunch of mods that are "more illegal then others", wich are: bigger tires, wheel spacers, headlights mods, leds, air dams...all the flashy things because cops spot them more easily.
    this is why i'm looking for wheels with a wider backspace...but i can't find them.
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 05-26-2015 at 06:16 AM.
    my channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    more pics, my license plate is for you, read post #2 lol
    Nice! That expression came from my collegiate bicycle racing days, but works for Jeeps too. My favorite one from the same team was "Campagnolo doesn't heal" - meaning when you crash you sacrifice your body to hold your bike up to protect the expensive parts from damage, because your body will heal! Don't think I ever actually did that though... too busy trying to grab the pavement to stop sliding sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    about wheel spacers...i can't run them here...this is why i'm looking for wheels with a wider backspace...but i can't find them.
    Just want to make sure you're clear on the difference between backspacing and offset - backspacing is the distance from the inside tire mounting flange to the hub mounting surface, while offset is the center rim to the hub mounting surface. Wider wheels have larger offset by necessity, and if the backspacing is exactly the same a wider wheel will have a larger offset - moving the outside of the wheel further outside.
    It's actually better to have a wider wheel with factory backspace which gives higher offset, so you're really looking for higher offset with close to factory backspacing, and you'll find it on wider rims.

Looking forward to the video! What car was the fastest? I'm not a big Mustang fan, but those two in the last photo look pretty capable.
    Last edited by carlmon; 05-26-2015 at 04:10 PM.

RallyJeep GO
    Stock offset is +13mm on ZJ wheels. Depending on how wide you go in terms of tires, you could probably go down to around 0 before fender clearance becomes an issue, maybe a bit further.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

yeah guys, i was confusing offset and backspace.
    just to make things clear:
    i have 3 set of wheels:
    1)stock alloy wheels wich are 7x16 with +13mm (i tought it was +25??). i use these for burnouts;
    2)steel daytona 7x16s with -12mm of offest (yes it's minus, negative). i use these for offroad. i install them the day before the offroad meeting;
    3)alloy arcasting 7,5x16 with 0mm of offset. i use these regulary on the street. they are about 1/2 kg heavier than the stock ones.

i have no idea of the backspacing on any of those wheels.
    the daytona ones have the perfect offset, because they fit perfectly with the body of the car. they don't stick out, they don't stick in. they have just the perfect offset...too bad they are as heavy as hell, so they are absolutly useless on the street and even more useless at the racetrack.
    the arcasting ones are 1/2 kg heavier than the stock ones and they don't fit that good as the daytona ones because they stick in a little bit.
    i would be very happy to find some 7x16 lightweight alloy wheels with -12 offset...but it seems like i have no luck with them.

about the vid: i'll upload it as soon as my gf makes it because i'm not able to edit videos

i'll ask for the fastest car and i'll let you know
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 05-27-2015 at 05:46 AM.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Backspacing can be calculated based on width and offset. http://www.customwheeloffset.com/tir...et-calculators

FWIW, my summer wheels are 17x8, +10mm offset with 255/60R17s on them. They fit beautifully. They could sit a little further out (lower offset) and still clear the fenders, but my 255s run fairly wide, so they fill things out quite nicely as-is (just a hair in from flush).
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

thanks for the link
    https://www.customwheeloffset.com/ti...et-calculators
    so i need a 7x16 alloy wheel with 3.53 of backspace
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah. Why not go wider in terms of wheels and tires for track use?

ah...stupid italian laws, same thing as above...i can't run with tires that have different size than stock ones.
    my channel

me and my gf made the video with our clips (the ones coming from the gopro strapped on the rear bumper, and the ones coming from my cellphone strapped on my seat). i asked the guy who organized the event to give me his clips, so now i'm waiting.
    my channel

hi guys, just completed the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWEf...ature=youtu.be
    i'd be glad if you subscribe to my channel
    vid is waht it is, shot vid a gopro on my bumper, a cellphone on my seat and a camera from the outside....not the best video, sorry.

what do you think?
    my channel

couple more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my channel

Hi guys,
    on the 24th of april (next sunday) is been organized another track day event, same location as last year.
    i'm not sure 100% that i'll go because i'm having some issues with the transfer case (as you probably know). But, i'm asking just in case:
    is there any way to stiffen my rig (reduce body roll) for cheap (right now i can't afford both addco sways...).?? any way to make the spring to not compress or extend? tieing them? or putting some kind of spacers between the body and the axles??

thanks
    Last edited by Mark 318 ita; 04-16-2016 at 05:35 AM.
    my channel

RallyJeep GO
    No quick/easy/cheap way of stiffening it up while still letting the suspension do its job of keeping the tires on the ground, unfortunately.

Also, being basically RWD, you really don't want to run a bigger rear sway bar on a ZJ. Good setup should be big front bar, stock rear bar and springs to get the balance right (with shocks to match). On the last round of changes to my setup, I actually ended up with no rear bar at all.