Valve stem heights not the same - ???

Hi,

My heads came back from the machine shop and I put a machinist's measuring block across the top of the valve stems. (No rockers are installed.)

The valve stems are not all the same height! In the largest gap I can get a 0.007 feeler guage between the straight edge and the top of the stem. (i.e. 0.007 shorter than the adjacent stems.)

Do I need to worry about this?

Surely the hydraulic lifters will nicely handle this variation?

Thanks

]Paul

valvestem.jpg

I'd check with the shop. Doesn't sound right but I haven't done that stuff in decades, lol.

Is that head yellow? I like yellow!

While not 100% perfect, that little bit is nothing to worry about. The difference comes from how much each seat needed to be cut to clean up and/or if the valve tips need some clean up. The valve tips can be cut to even them all out, but on our engines it is not necessary and going too deep can damage the valve tip. Also, keep in mind that it is at the valve. Due to the rocker arm ratio the lifter will only see .004375".

Quote Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
    While not 100% perfect, that little bit is nothing to worry about. The difference comes from how much each seat needed to be cut to clean up and/or if the valve tips need some clean up. The valve tips can be cut to even them all out, but on our engines it is not necessary and going too deep can damage the valve tip. Also, keep in mind that it is at the valve. Due to the rocker arm ratio the lifter will only see .004375".

ok, great

every time i discover a "problem" like this my blood pressure goes through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsheer View Post
    ok, great

every time i discover a "problem" like this my blood pressure goes through the roof.
    Lol, qft