Another cylinder head question

So I bought a niner in the middle of March, right before I bought it, the people I got.it.from had just replaced the radiator the week before. Well the side tank just blew off the new one last week again. So I started digging as to why. Looks like the head gasket is popped or head is cracked. When I went to fill my n ew radiator, there were oil droplets on top of the coolant. Either way, I'm replacing the heads, my question is, the EQ heads I've read about seem.like what I'm going with, but are the 2.02s too much for keeping stock.? It's my wife's car and we really don't have the cash to go cam and all that right now. May do more in the distant future, but will come with full rebuild.
    1998 JGC 5.9
    NP 242 swap, 2" BB, Hughes 1.92 heads, and intake plenum. Hughes double roller chain.

RallyJeep GO
    No reason you can't do 2.02s with a stock cam.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

While I did not have the oil floating in the radiator. I was getting tremendous hot air into the system and once I pulled the heads it ended up being the gasket. I had a spare set of stock heads on standby though.

Well just got.off the phone with Engine quest, and they're out of stock until the end.of May or mid June. Damn it.
    1998 JGC 5.9
    NP 242 swap, 2" BB, Hughes 1.92 heads, and intake plenum. Hughes double roller chain.

RallyJeep GO
    Check if Hughes or Clearwater has any of those heads in stock. Hughes also sells another decent iron head, can't remember if it's more $$$ though.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I ran Hughes 2.02 heads with the stock cam, MP computer and a modded kegger for five years (just now got around to cam swap). I think performance gains from ONLY bigger intake valves are probably minimal, but if upcharge isn't much and you are pretty sure you will be modding further then I would do it.

A couple days ago I was able to find a link on Hughes website that had their Iron Ram's for $679 for the set, loaded. Now I can't find it for less than $999, am I missing something or is this it now?I'm already planning on ordering the plenum kit and double roller chain kits from them, so getting the heads there to wouldn't be too bad a deal.
    1998 JGC 5.9

Well, I just ordered my Iron Ram's for the Jeep. Along with the plenum kit and double roller chain kits from Hughes. Would've gotten the cam too, but was out of my budget and I couldn't squeeze it in. Hopefully we'll have this thing going again next week.
    1998 JGC 5.9

Quote Originally Posted by Audioguy1 View Post
    Well, I just ordered my Iron Ram's for the Jeep. Along with the plenum kit and double roller chain kits from Hughes. Would've gotten the cam too, but was out of my budget and I couldn't squeeze it in. Hopefully we'll have this thing going again next week.
    Did you find the $679 link, or did you have to pony up $999?

Nope. $999 was it.
    1998 JGC 5.9

Ok so I got my jeep back yesterday and before I got home it threw a CEL saying it was a P1391 code loss of camshaft crank. It ran fine the rest of the way home but on our way to church this morning it started running like crap missing real bad. Any idsas?

- - - Updated - - -

I had a timing chain done at the same time as the hesds
    1998 JGC 5.9

Did you do anything inside the distrib when it was out?

Did you have the fuel sync reset? I don't know if it being "off" would throw that code though.

Other than that check the CPS and CKPS wiring, see if anything got pinched, chafed, damaged, etc.

If it just happens to be a coincidental fault that just came up, I believe it's a lot more common for the CKPSs to go bad than the CPS - although of course anything is possible. Figures, since they're more of a PITA to change, lol

Hooked it to a scanner and timing was jumping up to 40* advanced at 1500 rpm. Taking the Hughes timing set off and putting the factory style name go on. My guy says that timing is digital and can be adjusted with his scanner but it's too far out of whack with this set. Will know more by the end of the weekend.
    1998 JGC 5.9

So, dumb question but did you start out with your distributor body installed in roughly the correct orientation?

I don't know if that would cause the timing issue you're talking about though

Never pulled the distributor out. Got it figured out on Tuesday. The timing chain needed adjusted by moving the cam gear. It runs great now.
    1998 JGC 5.9