Thread: Noob saying hi

Noob saying hi

Hi guys,

Noob here. I have a 4.7 WJ and intend to supercharge it with Paxton Novi 1000, 10-12 psi, water and meth cooled.

I am just about to start rebuilding the motor and I need all the help I can get, so please let me know where I'm going wrong here.

I intend to beef up the internals with SCAT rods, pistons 8:5:1,ARP studs, ATI Damper, Comp Cams racing cams, Solid Lash Adjusters, 2008 intake manifold, 72mm TB, Piggy back tuner, HO Crankshaft, new Mains and bearings.

question: where can I get a heavy duty flex plate?

Hi,
    sounds like an awesome build.
    i'm no jeep guru, so i cant' help you, but i think you'll be interested in this project
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...oject-overkill

keep up the works, and keep us updated
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Welcome to the site!

I don't think that's a common build so the information might be a bit sparse, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll find the info you need.

As far as the heavy duty flexplate, that might be a tough one.

I really don't know how the WJs pick up their CKPS (crank trigger) signal but if the CKPS and flexplate setup is anything like our Magnum motored ZJs you might be out of luck...

I've checked lots of sites and if there's a heavy duty SFI approved type flexplate for ours I haven't found it yet. You can get SFI flexplates for our motors, but they're the simpler old school kind like the LAs used.

You might be able to fab something up that will work, or you could possibly try to fab up a front mounted crank sensor - that's a load of work though. From what I've seen none of the aftermarket crank trigger wheels work with our PCMs. Not sure if that applies to the WJs too but I'm guessing it does

Thanks Mark, I will read that and ask some questions there too.

Z88Z, thanks man. Looks like I might have to add on a piece of 10 guage steel or something and balance it at a machine shop, maybe. I'll keep searching however..

Why do you need a heavy duty flex plate?

Quote Originally Posted by dukefromthecave View Post
    To handle to boost? Beefing up components? All that power and torque has to be transferred to the torque converter.
    Last edited by joyschtik; 04-26-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefromthecave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joyschtik View Post
    To handle to boost? Beefing up components? All that power and torque has to be transferred to the torque converter.

Once again, not familiar with WJs but I doubt that's going to be a problem.

There's lots of Magnum motored ZJs making SERIOUS horsepower: 408 strokers, SC'd and nitrous, etc. - and they must all be putting that through the factory flexplate (since I never found an SFI approved flexplate with window wheels for our Magnums...)

Is the 4.7 neutral/internal or external balance and/or are you changing that? It couldn't hurt to have them balance the flexplate. If it's off or weighted/external balance and you're changing that they'd just add some weights to balance it.

I'm Assuming (lol) the WJs use a flexplate with window wheels to orient the crank sensor like our ZJs, but I don't know that for a fact...

I cant seem to find any anyway, might have to go with factory.

Like John said, I think you would need to be making some truly amazing power before the flexplate becomes the weak link. Did you check out Richie's build linked above?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12HTh-Kj79I

I have a friend helping me build the motor. That's him with his 800hp motor, did 9.709 . He suggested a HD Flexplate, but if it is not available and I'm only hoping to make 350-450hp, I guess I won't be needing it. I'm hopeful however

Yes, I've read Richie's build. An awesome build but did he managed to fix the others problems, injectors, etc? I have PM'd him the same question but no reply as yet. Is he still around?

Nice vid!

Didn't realize you were from the land down under!

He is.