Need to place Ms. Plat on jack stands

Hey people, I want to place my ride on jack stands. I don't want to lift her by the axles. I would like to place the jack stands in the safest place on the frame and let the suspension sag. Where is the best place to put 4 jack stands? This may be long term Thanks.

Tony: On the front I placed them on the area that the control arm goers into the frame on the back I placed them on the frame just in front of the rear tires. This was on the 5.9 and it was up for almost 2 weeks. I did this when I changed shocks R & R the springs replaced lower front control arms and bump stops. I am sure there are other ways to do this, I am just telling you how I did it. As always I hope this helps. Roger
    Note: I just sent you a PM.

^ That sounds about right.

Also depends on what you're doing it for. There may be advantages to having the weight on or off the axles.

If for any reason it needs the weight to be on the axles, On the rear axle I don't jack under the pumpkin either. I do one side at a time with the jack under the control arm bracket - although you have to plan for where the stands are going to end up, lol. It can be a PITA if you have big stands! If you want it real high you might even have to do it in two steps, a side at a time.

Just be careful! If you're going to be under there - especially with the tires off or whatever - I usually give it a couple of shoves or hip-checks (hockey! lol) once it's up just to make sure it's completely stable. Ross lost one of his Mustang forum buddies when his car came off the stands

Two reasons for the stand setup. Presently Ms. Plat is sporting TJs wheels and I want to swap them back. The other reason is that I need to raise the Nine enough so that I can work underneath her a bit more comfortably. And yes I am concerned about working unnder a car on just stands. Maybe it would be a better idea to raise her, place the stands and at least for the time being remount the tires so that if there is a mishap she'll fall on the tires giving me a better chance of surviving.

Yes Tony, that's what I'd do.

Lots more room for error with the tires on it.

As it turns out I placed the stands under the axles raising the 30" tires about 2" off the floor. It was my only options due to the lift limit of my puny floor jack. Looks like I have enough room to maneuver this old carcass of mine on a creeper. Its a bitch getting old.

I ditched the creeper.

I grab large corrugated cardboard boxes and cut them up and use that instead. Lots more clearance, I don't constantly move in the wrong direction, lol - plus works way better when applying lots of torque.

I'll never go back!

I agree with both of you, specifically the getting old part and then add in health issues and it is doubled. I really agree with the cardboard part, I do the same and just did all the exhaust work with it on the tires. Cardboard is the best creeper of all. Roger Tony:Can you let me know how you stripped your gauge needles, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE the gauge panel is the next thing to get worked on. Roger

If the stands have more height capacity than the jack you can do a two stage lift. Lift to max jack height, set on stands, reset jack with block of wood on top or lower jack point, jack to full height again. i have worked under vehicles on stands with no wheels on but like John mentioned above, I make darn sure that neither the vehicle or the stand will move. Wheels on gives you a shot at not getting totally squashed.

Unfortunately this old body has a difficult time shimmying around on a piece of cardboard. If the creeper proves to be too tall I follow Duke's suggestion on a two stage jack up. Thanks all.

As an aside is the starter visible without removing the plastic gravel shield? I haven't made the trip under the Jeep yet.

Ever swap an axle? Half the time im under there im imagining getting smashed lol

Back when I had my 44a out, but the 8.8 wasnt in yet, we had a decent earthquake. After calming down the dog and girlfriend, i went outside and was glad to see the jeep still on the jackstands.

It was one of those, "wouldnt it suck to have an earthquake right now..." then it happened lol

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    ....As an aside is the starter visible without removing the plastic gravel shield? ....

Yes. You gotta get under there a good ways, but there's nothing in the way of seeing it.

If you're removing it just remember to disco the battery to avoid sparkys

Quote Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
    .... Half the time im under there im imagining getting smashed lol....
    ditto!

I usually try to make some kind of "anti-getting my ass crushed" barrier when I go under there, even if it's just putting the rims/tires under the frame rail or something
    Last edited by Z88Z; 04-26-2015 at 06:00 AM.

Most excellent! Thanks John.