Throttle Sticking

So I'm having a rather scary problem. When I stomp on the gas in my truck, the throttle gets stuck. If I shut the truck off and turn it back on, it 99 times out of 100 unsticks itself. I replaced my throttle cable, and I've also pulled up the gas pedal when it happens, and the pedal always moves freely. Any ideas? I have a 99DakRT ported throttle body.

Replaced the throttle cable after the problem? Or before?

If the pedal is moving freely then it must be the cable or possibly the throttle body linkage.

What happens if you open the throttle on the tb by hand?

I replaced the throttle cable after the issue started. I've moved the throttle by hand and it doesn't get stuck.

RallyJeep GO
    If it's sticking some, but not sticking at WOT, it's probably a sticky TPS. If it thinks you've still got the throttle open some, it'll pin the IAC wide open. And being cured by a shutdown / restart makes sense in that case, as it'll learn around the artificially high TPS value at closed throttle.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy 2.02 heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
    ....What happens if you open the throttle on the tb by hand?

That ^

I'd get under there (engine off) and see if I could duplicate the problem by hand. Maybe take off the air hat, even.

I assume you mean 1999BLKDAKRT? don't have one of his TBs (I've been meaning to get one. lol.) so I don't know this - is the blade 'rest' adjustment open for adjusting or does he leave it sealed? Maybe it needs a tweak? If it's not open I wouldn't touch it until you talk to him first...

Did you get it right from him or did you buy it used from someone else?
    Reason I'm asking is, if you didn't get it directly from him - is there any chance you could have gotten the wrong year TB for your Jeep? I believe there were 3 models used on ZJs. I'd have to check a picture again but I believe the most (only?) apparent difference being the attaching point/positioning for the throttle cable (maybe TV cable too?) attaching point, and I think the way the cable cams are situated.
    If it was the wrong year maybe something is hanging up? I'd assume if you got it directly from him it's the right year though. If not, you should be able to compare it to your old one and see if it's the right model.

Did you get the new throttle cable because of the problem, or did the problem start after you got the new cable? Did you compare the lengths?

Either way, I'd say the first thing to do would be to contact him and see what he says.
    If you got it from someone else, maybe throw in a pic of yours in case it's different.

Found this........

I got it directly from him and have had it for about a year. I don't think it has anything to do with his work, just wanted to put all of the variables out there. I'm going to replace the TPS I think and see if that fixes it.

ok, if you got it right from him the model isn't the problem.

Doesn't sound right that you can't duplicate it by hand though. You should be able to, even if it feels like it takes giving it a tad more force than you should (like your foot could do)

Is it definitely sticking wide open, and does the pedal not come back up from the floor when this is happening?

How is it unsticking itself? Like, does the pedal actually come back up after you shut it off? I

Would be nice if you could duplicate that somewhere that it was safe to shut it off and coast to a stop where you could look at it - of course that doesn't help if it's resetting itself.

Just wondering if the IAC could be screwing up but I think you'd know the difference as that would probably only be a real high idle and not wide open - at least I think that's the way it works, lol. Not sure how high the RPMS can get off the IAC by itself.

I'd suggest checking the other cables, TV and cruise. Make sure it's not those hanging up somehow. You could just disconnect the cruise cable right off the TB for testing.

Also, go underneath and take a look at the travel of the TV cable. Make sure there's nothing interfering with it down there. Maybe have someone doing the pedal while you look.

I'd still bounce it off BLKDAK as he may have some suggestions to check
    Last edited by Z88Z; 04-13-2015 at 07:27 AM.

Pedal doesn't pop up per se. I'll be lifting up on it and it moves freely. I'm going to try disconnecting the cruise, and if not, I'll replace the TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    If it's sticking some, but not sticking at WOT, it's probably a sticky TPS. If it thinks you've still got the throttle open some, it'll pin the IAC wide open. And being cured by a shutdown / restart makes sense in that case, as it'll learn around the artificially high TPS value at closed throttle.
    I still don't have a good picture of what's happening. You're accelerating at WOT and let off the pedal - does it keep accelerating at WOT power, or does the power reduce but stay on way higher than idle?