Moog track bar problem.. too long

I recently had to change the front track bar due to it being worn. So I purchased a Moog. Got the old one out without issue. I went to install the Moog and the mounts weren't lining up. Not uncommon so I brought out the ratchet strap to get the axle lined up. As I was tightening the strap I though I had to move the axle too much... especially since the suspension is mostly stock(UC springs, WJ LCAs) and the bushings should have taken a set and minimal movement necessary. I stopped, took out the Moog bar and compared it to the stock one. The Moog was 1/4" longer. Thinking it was just a defect I went back to the Advance that I purchased the bar from. They didn't have another Moog in stock, but they did have their house brand. It was the correct length, but the ball joint on it was very small. They said the Advance store in the next town had a Moog in stock. I went there and both Moogs were the same length, so the Moog wouldn't work. I then went to Autozone and looked at their house brand. Same thing, a 1/4" too long. Since the Autozone, Advance and Oriellys are very close to each other in that town I then went to Oriellys. They didn't have their brand in stock, but the store that was near the original Advance had one in stock. Now I was scratching my head. I went back to storage where the ZJ was and installed the stock bar then the Moog and took measurements from the body to the axle on both. Sure enough the Moog was too long. I went to Orielly's and finally I had a bar that had a decent sized joint and the correct length. A project that should have taken an hour took the better part of the day.

tl;dr: Moog track bar too long, Orielly's was brand the correct length. Check parts before installing.

RallyJeep GO
    I went through this too. The Moog track bar is definitely too long up front (would work for ~2" lift, I think). I'm running the shortest of the Rusty's adjustables up front now and it works nicely.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I had wanted to go with IRO's double shear bar & mount, but I found it is for 3"+ of lift. I had wanted to get away from the TRE end, but had I known about this fiasco I would have entertained Rusty's bar.

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, the double shear setups usually don't fit at stock height. The Rusty's bar I'm running still has a TRE, but it's pretty beefy. It's also lighter than the stock or Moog bar, being hollow tube (larger diameter than the stock solid stuff) and it's got a poly bushing at the axle end instead of rubber.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

It wouldn't surprise me if Moog has two track bars, and you got the one for lifted (which is probably more popular). I've never been disappointed with Moog product quality, but I have had to call them to find out which was the correct part because their literature is sometimes lacking on detail.

Moog only has one part number for the track bar for XJ, ZJ & TJ.

Yup. It's too long. In fact, it's causing a driver's side control arm tire rub. Too bad I already installed it some time ago. It wasn't a problem until I got new tires that actually had edges on them (and are 10mm wider than stock). I might get a different one and put this on the XJ. Until then, I'm gonna try to space out the steering stop a bit.

Edit: or just get a budget boost and say **** it.
    Last edited by csouers; 04-08-2015 at 09:33 AM.

2 years and the joint on the trackbar is done for. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty.