YellowJacket - the build

It's going to take a while to populate this with all the images, so bear with me. If I don't start it now I never will!

This is the build thread for YellowJacket, my 93 5.9/44RE/D44A

My first ZJ, a 93 5.2 Limited, bought in 2000. It got put away at my friend's folk's house when I got my first 5.9.

217k miles. Needed so much work it wasn't even worth trying to sell, but it ran okay and was pretty dependable so I decided to clean it up and fix a few things.

Went from this (around 2009)

Then back to this... ( This was a test fit with a 5.9 rack for someone that asked. Never installed it) Had K&N CAI, Kolak ignig kit and 3" catback at this point.

Now.... (need some better exterior shots, lol)

I know - too much yellow, and yet - not enough yellow! LOL

Valve covers should have been yellow, with black accented ribs. It's eventually going to get the cast Jeep VCs done up like that. Would really like the exhaust manifolds or eventual headers to be yellow, but not sure if powder coat can handle those temps (anyone know?)

I went with yellow because orange, red, and blue had been done, lol - plus I wanted a light color throughout the engine compartment so you could see the detail. That and I don't like how the stock ZJs tend to "swallow all light" to where you can't see down into it very far. You'll see just how visible it is down there as the pics progress

If I had it to do over again (and I will on YellowJacket V.2, lol) I might have left the fender aprons black and just gone with yellow from the frame rail in, to draw more attention to the motor itself....

FYI this is basically a fully functional 98 spec ZJ. The only actual delete I did was cruise control.

Probably the most radical thing going on here (besides it being OBD2) is the radical re-wiring job. If you'll notice - besides the battery relocate there's a whole lot less wiring and a lot of what's left is a lot less visible.
    The whole C144 connector by the right front corner of the motor is gone, as is most of the separate Efan harness there. That stuff has all been relocated and run through the C131/C132 connectors by the PCM, while the Ignition Relay and 5.9 AC line switch functions are handled by two relays I added into the PDC.

I didn't know about the VIC delete cubbies until I was mostly done with the wiring. If I had known about that I could have pulled a lot more out of the harness!

I have gawd only knows how many hours into that harness (40? 80? probably more like a hundred!) but I'm considering re-doing it to eliminate the VIC feeds and to go with more localized grounds throughout.

Interior wiring is pretty much stock, with the exception of the windshield washer reservoir squirter and level wiring being diverted to the cargo area where the W/W res now lives.

What about this for your interior trim?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-x-5ft-4D...p2054897.l4275

Looks clean, if that yellow was purple i would have said that it was the best lookin zj ever...too bad i don't like yellow lol
    just kiddin, very cool z
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap,dana30hp swap,aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos