Thread: Jeep ZJ owners

tedstar

Cool Jeep ZJ owners

Hi guy's, I am looking for jeep ZJ rear window lift complete so i can put it on my jeep ZG 1999. Ok i guess you wondering "what the hell" yes its a jeep ZG 1999 model and we have them so many here in Australia....."yes" Aussie. But what we don't have is what you guy's got, that is the rear window flipper. now I am staring to collect them and show this Aussie jeepers what i wonderful jeep i have with all the ZJ factory option from the USA. So guy's let me know what you have on factory option for ZJ. thanks

Welcome to TSF! I don't believe that a ZJ 1996-1998 hatch window will fit the 1999 (WJ) unless there is a different kind of 1999 down under.

If it's a ZG it's the same body style as ZJ... made in Austria I think. Maybe some '98s were imported in Australia in 99?
    If no ZGs have flipper windows, it might not be as easy as getting the parts - there could be differences in the tailgate sheet metal and lock mechanisms to accommodate the flipper. I believe the pre-1996 US ZJs did not have the flipper, and I suspect the ZGs stuck with the original body panel tooling and single lock mechanism of the fixed tailgate window, in which case it would take extensive customization or a whole ZJ tailgate. I should emphasize that I don't know if this is the case - it's just a suspicion.
    Plus, a lot of us are driving around with flippers that don't flip because of a lock sensor switch that wears out... and is no longer made.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know of potential problems you should consider.
    I don't know what other options ZJs have that ZGs don't, but ZGs have some nice things we don't, like better lights and speed sensitive steering.

Post some ZG down-under pics!

Welcome to the site!

Was 99 the last year for the ZGs down there, and was it considered an actual 99 model year, not a leftover 98?

Was the flip glass hatch not available at all down there, or only on certain models? And BTW what model is yours. Limited. Laredo, TSI, etc?

Ted, does yours still have the power antenna?

Carl, the flipglass became optional sometime in 95, or possible even 94, and that might have lasted even into 96 (as an option) but like you said sometime around 96 or 97 they became standard.

Like Carlmon said - others have talked about wanting to do that that conversion but AFAIK no one's ever actually tried it.

I'd guess it's got a different sealing area and different structure around the hinge and latching area - but like Carl said, more of a guess.

I converted my 93 to flipglass, but I did it by swapping the whole hatch. If anything I'd like to convert back for the (very subtle) difference in smoothness. I'm going for smooth on that one - no roof rack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I converted my 93 to flipglass, but I did it by swapping the whole hatch. If anything I'd like to convert back for the (very subtle) difference in smoothness. I'm going for smooth on that one - no roof rack, etc.
    Ahh... more secrets on the light build emerge!

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Ahh... more secrets on the light build emerge!
    No, the lightweight is (was, lol) a regular 98 5.9.

yellowjacket is just a 93 but with a 5.9/44RE/D44A....

tedstar
    yes mate with power antenna, ok this is what i found. my zg til gate as normal as any zg/zj but when i open he panels and interior rear panels, i found that this tail gate was for flip window as it has all the fittment for the hatch and the struts brackets and the latch in the middle and also it has the looms ready for the release button.

- - - Updated - - -

not in Aussie we don't have this flip rear window but mine has its existing holes for all the necessary fitment for the flip glass. My rear tail seem like its already there but never to installed the equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

zg 99 was the last they brought over to Australia and compliance it on that year 1999 Australia. You guy's must aware that we Aussie do not build this vehicle...you guy's do and export them to Australia on the body structure only and in Aussie we do the finishing touch for the assembly (internal and running gear for Aussie standard regulation of transport.)
    Mine zg in a limited model with overhead console with fuel management control indicator.

- - - Updated - - -

z88z, when i received the flip window and convert mine to it, i will take photo every step on the installation of the unit. how's that sound to you

Wow! It has all that stuff but the flip glass was never an option there?

I guess that make sense. Our ZJs were still drilled for the mounting bracket for power antennas through 98, even though they ceased to be an option in 95 or 96....

Sounds like you know what you're talking about with the brackets etc, but here's a pic or two that might help.

Early fixed glass hatch from a 93

Flip glass hatch - from a 96 I think

Does your interior trim have this bulge for the wiper motor and latch?