Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsheer View Post
    - Re-flashing of the ECU to Mopar performance version by sykedecutuning.com -- requires 92 octane.
    Hold on here. These guys are actually tuning Chrysler OBD-I PCM???? What can they change? Air/Fuel table, Timing tables, Rev limiter????

From my understanding with the OBD-I PCM, it can't really be "re-flashed" they actually would have to replace a chip on one of the boards inside the PCM. There was another company that was doing this I can't remember the name right now. But they were expensive and it seemed that they were only tuning OBD-I PCMs when they felt like it.
    Last edited by JGC403; 04-26-2015 at 06:06 PM.
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

Hi montelibre,

How were the main bearings installed "wrong". I'd like to avoid such a problem! :-)
    Last edited by paulsheer; 04-26-2015 at 06:54 PM.

JGC403: Hold on here. These guys are actually tuning Chrysler OBD-I PCM????

Errr... not exactly.

The performance ECU for the '93 ZJ is Mopar P5249518. You can't get these for love or money.

Kevin from sykedecutuning.com is going to flash my stock 56028011 ECU with the P5249518 ROM/EEPROM image so that it becomes a P5249518 bit-for-bit-identical. I hope it works out -- he just got my ECU in the mail, and says working on it at this very moment.

This seems like the best I'm going to get out of my Jeep --- so I'm extremely grateful for this.

Perhaps in the future he will be able to map out the image and then custom tune it. Until then, I'll be sticking with stock cam timings.

(BTW I did order the 1.7 harlem rockers from John Mercedes of southeastrt.com. If you send him a check you can get the best price on harland sharp 1.7 rockers.)

Hi montelibre,

How were the main bearings installed "wrong". I'd like to avoid such a problem! :-)

Easy, the oil hole was mounted where the engine didn't had the hole and the other halves was closing the oil pass....
    1998 Jeep 5.2, in progress...

Quote Originally Posted by JGC403 View Post
    Hold on here. These guys are actually tuning Chrysler OBD-I PCM????

There was another company that was doing this I can't remember the name right now. But they were expensive and it seemed that they were only tuning OBD-I PCMs when they felt like it.

That was B&G (Chrysler or Performance? Forget which)

But ya that's the way I heard it. Kind of a 'maybe' as to if and when they do OBD1.

I wonder why Syked Tuning doesn't mention this service on their site?

About your 392 -- was this with stock Magnum heads of the 5.2L?
    Did you use the Hughes kit?
    Did you change anything on the valve train / injectors?
    I measured my stock heads combustion volume at 62cc. This would give a compression ratio that is pretty high -- too high I think -- what do you think about this? Did you run high octane?
    Did you tweak the quench height?

My jeep was made with a 392 ci stroker kit from Campbell. The heads are aluminum Edelbrock, Crane camshaft and adjustable 1.6 roller rockers, 1008 head gasket from Summit Racing
    The CR is about 9.8/1 and deck about 0.04 to 0.14 mm.
    It runs with 95 IO RON, without detonation, with stock ignition system.

I have bought the last Crank and rods from Hughes.

- - - Updated - - -

The engine last weekend...
    20150422_193406_resized.jpg
    1998 Jeep 5.2, in progress...

Hi,

Answer: No, LOL :-)

I decided the 4" stroker was way to far off on the fringe for me.

I did the following:

- Silvo-O-lite 1278 +.030" pistons
    - Scat 3.58" Crank
    - Re-used stock con-rods.
    - Machined reliefs into the pistons on my Lathe to bring the compression ratio down to 9.6:1 (the pistons are really meant for heads with a larger chamber)
    - Re-flashing of the ECU to Mopar performance version by sykedecutuning.com -- requires 92 octane.
    - 24lb injectors @+- $120.

Sent the crank for balancing today.

This brings the ZJ from a stock 5.2L to a 5.7L. Which is cool enough for me.

The crank was under $400 and the pistons I got on E-Bay for $130. The balancing will be $200 and the ECU $100.

So it sounds really cheep right? No no -- I've spent $3100 on tools/materials and $4400 on parts so far. All the little things really add up -- engine sensors, new distributor, oil pump, water pump, 242 tc, hoses, grommets, etc. etc.. Admittedly those figures are inclusive of $860 for a lathe and $500 for lathe-tools/add-ons. But I've always wanted a lathe and I can't see how anyone can work on cars without one.

When I'm done the drive-train will be all-new or as good as one can get to all-new.

]Paul

- - - Updated - - -

Oh -- the $4400 is inclusive of the $500 I paid for the car! :-)
    Post up a photo of your shop. I'm drooling.