Thread: Battery options

Battery options

I'm getting all fancy with my SC install, and need more room to install a heat exchanger for my intercooler behind the battery when I do the battery relocate to the driver side... so I need a smaller battery, and want to make up for it by getting a better one. I know some relocate to the cargo area, but I use my cargo area!

At this point I'm looking at the Odyssey PC1100 http://www.odysseybattery.com/extrem...ery_specs.aspx , which is 9.8"x3.8"x8.1", for a little over 200 clams. That 3.8" number is what I like. I want to maximize the size while keeping the width small, but I don't want it to be so underpowered as to cause starting problems.

Has anyone had any experience with Odyssey batteries, or any other ones I should consider, or outside-the-box ideas?

Just put the battery in the Jeep? Ironically, in a box?

Odyssey has a good reputation. 500 cca seems a bit low to me though.
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

Seems under powered especially if you run the soundbar and ac. Is the build street or off road oriented?

Street- only occasional rough forest roads, but no serious off road. All power goodies, 1200 watts of amps and a real 5 farad cap (none of that LED crap!), but nothing's on when it's not running, so that's all alternator.
    I'm not so worried about CCA - it doesn't get that cold in Seattle - just want reliable starting power.

I did come up with another option: use two Optima 6 volt batteries in series, to be mounted horizontally in custom boxes underneath in the open channels between the running boards and frame. These are essentially half of a standard 12v Optima, so wouldn't hang down too far.
    I like this option because it gets all the battery weight low and centered, and gives more room for a bigger heat exchanger, and no question about battery power.

I was also wondering if there's enough room for a battery under the plastic panel behind the spare tire... anyone had this panel off?

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    ..... I was also wondering if there's enough room for a battery under the plastic panel behind the spare tire... anyone had this panel off?
    Not much room there on the ZJs.

Other side.....

I don't know much about the two battery idea, but if it would work it might help with the hot start problem a lot of the trunk mount ZJs seem to have. Hell, even my "stock" 93 5.9 with the rear mount batt isn't happy with hot starts.

You could run the pos from the closest terminal right to the starter and it would be a pretty short run - that might help.

I don't have better pics of that area, but there's not a lot of room to the outside of the frame rail, especially on the pass side with the exhaust and all. Maybe inboard of the rail and relocate the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Not much room there on the ZJs.
    I don't know much about the two battery idea, but if it would work it might help with the hot start problem a lot of the trunk mount ZJs seem to have. Hell, even my "stock" 93 5.9 with the rear mount batt isn't happy with hot starts.

You could run the pos from the closest terminal right to the starter and it would be a pretty short run - that might help.

I don't have better pics of that area, but there's not a lot of room to the outside of the frame rail, especially on the pass side with the exhaust and all. Maybe inboard of the rail and relocate the amp?
    Those pics are a big help... thanks! What's going on with that Jeep?

Are you running exhaust outside of the frame rails?... side dump? With the normal exhaust location there's plenty of room outside the frame rails for a 6V Optima battery on its side.
    My plan is now to put one 6v battery on each side, far forward, and run the series connecting cable inside the cross-member that supports the transmission mount from left + to right - .
    Like you said, this will put the positive terminal closer to the starter and power distribution box than mounting a battery on the driver side in the engine compartment for better starting power. It may be even closer to the starter than the factory location.
    It's no problem running two 6V batteries in series to get your 12v - you don't even need to use an isolator as you would running two 12v in parallel.

Under the rear seats would work too... except I already have massive 6-channel amps there on both sides that fill the space... had to do the jack-delete for that. What good would a jack do me after I already did the spare delete?

I opted for function over form for this. Big battery. In the back. Big wire. Marine box. Done.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Do you have a picture example of what you are doing? I am not understanding/visualizing how a heat exchanger for your intercooler would reach all the way to the relocated driver's side battery when the piping on the Vortech kit is on the passenger side.
    - Sandy

It will be air-water, so the intercooler will be on the passenger side in place of the charge tube, with two water hoses running to a pump and the heat exchanger on the driver side.
    Hope that helps... I'm pretty far from having photos of the project!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    MSPaint! Get creative lol

If you are dead set on this set up, then battery relocation to the hatch is the way to go. I would tuck it more towards the cubby on the passenger side if I had to. Maybe make a tool box out of it so it's dual purpose.
    - Sandy

I am dead set on not putting the battery inside the rear cargo area. Subwoofer on the passenger side, and there's barely enough room between the wheel wells for the way I use it. I'm just not willing to sacrifice cargo space for the battery relocate.
    I will investigate the possibility of cutting a battery hatch inside the enlarged wheel well on the rear driver side, but even if that could work, I think that would actually be more difficult, and not as good as my 2 6v battery under the floor boards solution.

Anyway... when I get started on whatever I decide, there will be a write-up, there will be photos, and it will be epic. Ok... unique.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Saw this in another thread. Interested concept - http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...l=1#post110022
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Saw this in another thread. Interested concept - http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...l=1#post110022
    Well, I hadn't thought of that! Gotta respect Aussie ingenuity. I just got under my niner to determine the elongated wheel well on the driver side houses the fuel tank hoses, so that's out - now I have to go back under there to check this option. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Those pics are a big help... thanks! What's going on with that Jeep?

With the normal exhaust location there's plenty of room outside the frame rails for a 6V Optima battery on its side.

Under the rear seats would work too... except I already have massive 6-channel amps there on both sides that fill the space... had to do the jack-delete for that. What good would a jack do me after I already did the spare delete?

For some reason I was thinking you meant mounting them through the floorboards under the rear seating area - although looking back, you didn't say that. lol.

So, dry batteries I guess so they can go on their side? Interesting...

I like what bergsi did, but with normal bumpers on that could possibly be a PITA

Not related to the battery thing but re the spare delete, I carry a tire plug kit, fix-a-flat, and a small but decent compressor.

That Jeep....

That's a slate 98 5.2 I parted out. If you look close at the passenger side wheel well and the cargo floor area around it you can see how hard it got hit, lol
    When I was done with it the only things left on the bare shell were the windshield, side glass and a damaged door.

In a roundabout way that part-out ended up being the inspiration for my lightweight build.

On one of the numerous posts on "the bad site" asking about weight reduction, I jokingly posted a picture of the bare interior shell and said "Do this, then only put back what it needs to run"
    A short while later I got a $1K niner for parts ....started thinking about that idea - and the lightweight was born. I might even get it running in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    For some reason I was thinking you meant mounting them through the floorboards under the rear seating area - although looking back, you didn't say that. lol.

So, dry batteries I guess so they can go on their side? Interesting...

I like what bergsi did, but with normal bumpers on that could possibly be a PITA

Not related to the battery thing but re the spare delete, I carry a tire plug kit, fix-a-flat, and a small but decent compressor.

That Jeep....

That's a slate 98 5.2 I parted out. If you look close at the passenger side wheel well and the cargo floor area around it you can see how hard it got hit, lol
    When I was done with it the only things left on the bare shell were the windshield, side glass and a damaged door.

In a roundabout way that part-out ended up being the inspiration for my lightweight build.

On one of the numerous posts on "the bad site" asking about weight reduction, I jokingly posted a picture of the bare interior shell and said "Do this, then only put back what it needs to run"
    A short while later I got a $1K niner for parts ....started thinking about that idea - and the lightweight was born. I might even get it running in 2015
    Yes... dry batteries. Optima makes a 6V that's basically their red-top cut in half, so I just need two with a cable in between to put them electrically back together. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to do.
    Anyone making a lightweight build, or willing to forego amps, could put the same setup under the rear seats more easily than under the floor... and that would get the batteries closer to the starter than in the back, not to mention lower and more centered weight.
    Can't wait to see your 'delete' list on your lightweight build- or maybe your 'kept' list would be shorter, and take less time to read!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    BTW - with the cargo box idea here is a picture on what I was thinking of doing if I moved the battery to the back. There is a guy who makes cargo boxes for the XJ's that lives an hour or so from me. I was going to see if this box would fit the general dimensions of the ZJ cargo area, then give it to my fab guy to have it better fit the wheel arch area.

But, you see the plastic cubby part? I would trim that to the size of a full battery, then tuck it in there. Dual purpose enclosed/locked storage and battery box and you wouldn't lose a lot of cargo space. Sorta stealing the concept from the Euro folks.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 03-14-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    - Sandy

Make sure y'all are venting your wet cell batteries. The outgases can't be good for you. If it's dry cell, no worries.

You could go this route for Water to Air,,,,, then I have pump by existing windsheld washer tank.

And the Heat Exchanger in the front skid plate. I am next going to try two small 7" fans on this plate too.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Platinum - 408 SC Sleeper ( 7.49 / 11.? )
    2012 RAM - Tow Vehicle
    2007 GC SRT8 Daily Driver
    2003 TJ Rubicon Inca Gold - Trail blaster
    1973 Trumph GT6 MK III
    20 Ft Enclosed Car Hauler

Tim do you have any pics of how you readjusted the PDC bracket?

Ah... the old heat exchanger in the skidplate trick. Not a bad idea, though it tends to be a pretty dirty spot. Also, I yanked mine some time ago because I didn't realize it was actually good for something, and I may have recycled it.

My backup exchanger location is in between the hole where a foglight used to be and the front left wheel well, where the evap canister is (which would have to be relocated). It would be a good spot, but the exchanger would have to be smaller than what I could fit in place of the factory air filter box, or yours in the skid plate, but would probably be big enough.