IAT sensor relocation

I'm about to relocate IAT sensor from intake manifold to the other location.
    I have two options:
    1. before the blower into the air filter pipe. (cold air from the atmosphere)
    2. after the blower into discharge tube. ( warm or hot compressed air from the blower)
    What's better

DSCN1002.JPG DSCN1004.JPG DSCN1005.JPG
    Last edited by MonaDeRio; 03-06-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    SCT X3. Custom cam. Crane gold race roller rockers. Fully ported 2.02 R/T heads.. Mike Leach Headers. Full 3" cat back exhaust. Custom full return fuel system. Aeromotive 340 in-tank fuel pump. Aeromotive dual port adjustable fuel regulator. Holley 2 x 52mm TB. High stall torque converter 2800 . 24# Bosch Ford Racing injectors. MSD ignition box and coil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RallyJeep GO
    With boost, you absolutely need to have the sensor after the blower (and after the intercooler if you have one). It needs to read the temp of the air being fed into the motor, otherwise the IAT based timing retard (for high intake temps) becomes useless.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I got it, thank you.
    SCT X3. Custom cam. Crane gold race roller rockers. Fully ported 2.02 R/T heads.. Mike Leach Headers. Full 3" cat back exhaust. Custom full return fuel system. Aeromotive 340 in-tank fuel pump. Aeromotive dual port adjustable fuel regulator. Holley 2 x 52mm TB. High stall torque converter 2800 . 24# Bosch Ford Racing injectors. MSD ignition box and coil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What he said ^^^ Definitely after the compressor.

The IAT relocate is to avoid the heat-soak problems associated with the IAT location in the stock keg intake. I don't know where it installs on the M1, but due to the air-gap design, relocating to a colder place is not going to give much if any benefit. If it's not close to the head, I'd leave it where it is. The whole idea is to get accurate air temp feedback, not to get artificially cold sensor readings.

Also, since you just had yours tuned for the stock location, it might be a bad idea to move it... I'd ask Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    What he said ^^^ Definitely after the compressor.

The IAT relocate is to avoid the heat-soak problems associated with the IAT location in the stock keg intake. I don't know where it installs on the M1, but due to the air-gap design, relocating to a colder place is not going to give much if any benefit. If it's not close to the head, I'd leave it where it is. The whole idea is to get accurate air temp feedback, not to get artificially cold sensor readings.

Also, since you just had yours tuned for the stock location, it might be a bad idea to move it... I'd ask Ryan.
    Ryan told me to do that while we did the tuning.. He knows about it. He also gave me some recommendations to improve my setup.
    The adapter for the IAT sensor is on its way to my place. I'll relocate the IAT sensor asap.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I don't know where it installs on the M1, but due to the air-gap design, relocating to a colder place is not going to give much if any benefit. If it's not close to the head, I'd leave it where it is. The whole idea is to get accurate air temp feedback, not to get artificially cold sensor readings.
    IIRC, the IAT is under the MAP sensor mount location where the throttle body meets the M1 intake.

On my other boosted set up, I actually have my IAT sensor on my charge pipe after the throttle body pre-bypass valve. Some folks install it after the bypass valve. Not much of a difference when logs are compared, so it's really preference.
    - Sandy

That's kind of what I thought... right under the TB seems like a pretty good place for the IAT sensor to me. It's pretty far from the heads and pretty far from the compressor- it also sees all the air going into the engine (instead of just one runner on top of the head like the keg). I don't see how there could be a better place to put it. I'd just leave it right where it is.

RallyJeep GO
    Mine sits a lot like Sandy's does. It's in one of the extra threaded ports on the large plenum side of my airgap.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

I'll compare the data after relocation and let you know what place is better.

Boost.... that intake is looking so clean....

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Sorry guys, forgot to post that is NOT my intake. Just found a picture on Google images to show placement of the IAT. But, I plan on getting mine ceramic coated to help with the heat.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Sorry guys, forgot to post that is NOT my intake. Just found a picture on Google images to show placement of the IAT. But, I plan on getting mine ceramic coated to help with the heat.
    I'm not sure ceramic coating is a good idea with supercharging. I think the ceramic would hold the heat of the charged air in, which is often hotter than engine compartment air... Don't you want to conduct and radiate the compressed air heat out, kind of like those discharge tubes with heat sink fins do? Ceramic does the opposite.

Good thing to make a custom discharge tube http://www.frozenboost.com/front-mou...ipe-p-225.html

Quote Originally Posted by MonaDeRio View Post
    Good thing to make a custom discharge tube http://www.frozenboost.com/front-mou...ipe-p-225.html

Hrm... If it works, why don't more people use it? I'm not 100% convinced on the thermodynamics

I'm not totally convinced myself... but it is a good question. You would need to measure actual temps of the charge and surrounding air. If the charge air is hotter than the surrounding air, there will be heat transfer, and the bigger the temp difference the more the transfer. In casual driving with low RPM the charge air might be colder (assuming a good CAI). Also, throw a good intercooler on and it would make the ceramic coating sound like a better idea.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I'm not sure ceramic coating is a good idea with supercharging. I think the ceramic would hold the heat of the charged air in, which is often hotter than engine compartment air... Don't you want to conduct and radiate the compressed air heat out, kind of like those discharge tubes with heat sink fins do? Ceramic does the opposite.
    I am not ceramic coating the inside, just the outside. It would be fine.
    - Sandy

I'm not totally convinced myself... but it is a good question. You would need to measure actual temps of the charge and surrounding air. If the charge air is hotter than the surrounding air, there will be heat transfer, and the bigger the temp difference the more the transfer.
    Let me rephrase... At idle, the air will spend less than 0.015 seconds in the "cooling" tube. Even with a significant dT--and there will be a significant dT; that's the nature of compression--the tube would be totally useless. At WOT, assuming ~1000CFM, the air will be in the cooling tube a 0.002 seconds. We won't even get into the actual thermodynamics... It's a goofy idea and a waste of money.

Maybe if the inside was full of fins or tubes (like every commercial cooler ever), the outside was coated in dry ice, and the whole thing was 10ft long...