ZJ 97 ZJ Restoration (Bulletproof 5.9) Advice Appreciated

I'm restoring my 97 ZJ.

My primary goal is durability and reliability.

It will eventually transition into a much more adventurous rig as my children get old
    enough to enjoy helping me build it.

Parts List:

---------BOTTOM END---------
    [ ]Block--OEM 5.9L
    ----Hot Tank
    ----Magnaflux
    ----Bore
    ----Hone
    ----Surface/Deck
    ----Align Hone
    ----Thread Cleaning
    [ ]Crank Assembly--Eagle B20107 (alt. B20507)
    ----Crank--Eagle 4340 Forged Steel 3.580 in. Stroke
    ----Rods--Eagle 4340 Forged Steel 6.123 in.
    ----Rod Fasteners--ARP Pro Series Wave-Loc 2000 Alloy
    ----Pistons--Mahle Forged -5cc
    ----Connecting Pins--Mahle
    ----Piston Rings--Mahle
    ----Rod Bearings--ACL
    ----Main Bearings--ACL
    [ ]Oil Pump--Melling High Volume
    [X]Oil Pan--OEM
    [X]Oil Pickup Tube--OEM
    [ ]Oil Filter--K&N
    [X]Water Pump--OEM
    [ ]Timing Chain--Mopar Perf.
    [ ]Main Studs--ARP 140-5402
    [ ]Oil Pan Gasket--
    [ ]Oil Filter Adapter Plate--OEM
    [ ]Rear Main Seal--OEM

-----------TOP END---------

[ ]Heads--EQ Iron Ram
    ----2.02 Port Job
    ----General Cleanup Machining
    [ ]Valve Covers--Edelrock 4295 (Tall Profile - No Logo)
    [ ]Head Studs--ARP 144-4001
    [ ]Valves--
    [ ]Push Rods--
    [ ]Lifters--
    [ ]Valve Springs--
    [ ]Stud Seals--
    [ ]Cam--
    [ ]Rocker Arms--
    [ ]Intake Manifold--Two Barrel M1
    [ ]Exhaust Manifold--Doug Thorley Headers
    [ ]Intake--K&N FIPK Cold Air 57-1506-2
    [ ]OEM Air Filter--K&N 33-2048
    [ ]Throttle Body--Fastman 52mm
    [ ]Head Gasket--
    [ ]Intake Manifold Gasket--
    [ ]Exhaust Manifold Gaskets--

-----------Tuning----------

[ ]Ignition Wires--Magnecor KV85 85219
    [ ]Cap--
    [ ]Rotor--
    [ ]Coil--
    [ ]Fuel Injectgors--
    [ ]Spark Plugs--
    [ ]SCT Tuner--
    [ ]Tune--

-----------Fluids----------

[ ]Engine Oil (Break-in)--Royal Purple Break-In
    [ ]Engine Oil--Royal Puple 10w30
    [ ]Transmission Fluid--Valvoline ATF+4
    [ ]Trans. Fluid Additive--Lucas
    [ ]Coolant--
    [ ]Brake Fluid--
    [ ]Power Steering Fluid--
    [ ]Transfer Case Oil--Valvoline ATF+4
    [ ]Differentials Gear Oil--

-----------Other----------

[ ]Radiator--OEM
    [ ]Radiator Hoses--OEM
    [ ]Transmission Cooler--OEM

--------Drivetrain--------

[ ]Transmission--Martin Saine 46RE HD Off-road trans package
    [ ]Transfer Case--NP242 from Donor Vehicle
    [X]Front Differential--OEM
    [X]Rear Differential--OEM

--------SUSPENSION--------
    [ ]Rims--
    [ ]Tires--
    [X]Shocks--Bilstein HD
    [ ]Control Arms--
    [ ]Springs--
    [ ]--

Contributing Links:

Intake Manifold Comparisons: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html
    Vacuum Pressure Troubleshooting: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm
    VIC Repair: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c.../topics/175207
    IAC Count Reset:http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?6017-Setting-IAC-Counts
    Throttle Body Size Theory: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t977...nd_torque.html

-
    - - Updated - - -

The table above will be updated as I progress through the part selection and build process.
    Last edited by Deanlm90; 03-12-2015 at 07:17 AM.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Have you reached out to, or verified availability of the parts you are looking for? I have read recently that Martin Saine has gone MIA, so may want a back up for the trans rebuild.

Spark plug go with NGK's.
    - Sandy

I'm not an expert, but I am struggling through my first 5.9 rebuild... Some things worth noting:

• R3 block is discontinued. A brand new one popped up on eBay a couple months ago and sold for north of $4,000.
    • Just because a part says "Mopar," it's not necessarily better. Cloyes and Progear double roller timing chain/gear sets are both very popular alternatives
    • You don't need a timing chain tensioner. A decent gear/chain set is sufficient.
    • An OEM 5.2 HB and flex plate won't work if you're building an external balance 5.9. I know the crank you listed is internally balanced, but if you end up not using it, that's something to keep in mind.
    • EQ Iron Ram heads can be had, ported to outflow the Eddie aluminum heads, for a fraction of the price.
    • All the cool kids run NGK spark plugs.
    • The Air Gap intake manifold is the most expensive aftermarket intake, and the least beneficial for the price. It's comparable to a 2bbl M1, but the M1 (2 and 4bbl) are much more popular. Some light reading
      http://www.allpar.com/mopar/performance/manifolds.html
    • Holly TBs are, again, the most expensive and not the best performing. Depending on your performance goals, look into a ported stock TB done professionally. Mine was half the price of the Holly. If you want to go bigger, F&B is a popular option.
    • Kolak might be a god among men on other forums, but it's worth pointing out that there are other options. You can get the DT headers anywhere else for cheaper, and you might even get them shipped in less than three months. Do NOT go through him for tuning; the dude that writes tunes for him has a less than spectacular reputation and track history. Pretty much everything you put "Kolak" next to can be had for less money with faster shipping. I've dealt with him enough times to not do it again. Your experience may vary.
    • And the valve train geometry is totally up to you. There's not really a "best" cam/rocker/pushrod/valvespring/lifter combination. There are definitely "right" and "wrong" combinations, but no "best." Engine Quest will work with you if you send them your cam profile.

Oh yeah, welcome to the crazy house!
    Last edited by McCloudsZJ; 02-20-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    I have read recently that Martin Saine has gone MIA.
    I very much hope that is not the case. I spoke with Martin in late December and everything seemed normal. I hope he's ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    Oh yeah, welcome to the crazy house!
    Crazy house indeed. Thank you for your input it was very helpful. A lot of it is information which I have heard and is just not reflected in my spreadsheet but some was new. I'll keep updating things. I'm going to be pulling and keeping the eintire 5.9 from whatever donor car I find with low mileage at one of the local yards. That way if I go internal balanced or external I have both bases covered since my current rig is the 5.2. My internals are still up in the air. I want to save money but I NEED STRONG parts with maximum reliability so I'm leaning towards the forged internally balanced sets.

Ill have to double check the IM selection. I swore I found the air gap cheaper than the M1 though I honestly prefer the M1 based on my readings. Thank you for that link! I'm definitely going to read it... right now. I assume afterwards my mind will be made up.

You had me worried BoostinChick

~~

Quote from Mr. Saine:

I've not fallen off the grid. Still building away.
    I have been extremely busy, but not off the grid.

Where did you hear the rumors from?

Thanks,
    Martin

~~

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I will have to update our FB group as a couple members have reported they have been trying to purchase/get in contact with him and have had no luck. Good to know he is still around because I will want a trans build eventually!
    - Sandy

Martin just posted up, so that's a good thing.

For SCT tuning, go with flyinryan in our vendors section. You won't regret it.
    Pretty sure he recommends the M1 too, but check with him. BLKDAK in our vendor section sells bigger TBs at great prices but not sure if he has the size you'll end up needing. I'd bounce some of this stuff (cam choice, intake, TB, etc) off Ryan if he's going to be doing the tune.
    He can make the proper recommendations to keep you within the Emissions range you need to be in.

What Logan said ^ about the internal/external balance thing, too. lol.

You can buy aftermarket HBs for either way you build it, even SFI approved ones. From what I've seen no one makes an aftermarket flexplate for our motors - at least, not the type with the window wheel you need to work with our EFI

Still no word from flyinryan. I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want to do on the top end of things. I know I want the bottom end to be perfect but I can't afford to go all out on the top end. From what I read it may be better/more reliable for me to reinforce the valve guides and use mostly stock components rather than upgrade the components and not do any machine work on the heads... I wish I wasn't so clueless in regards to the heads. I've not had nearly the time necessary to educate myself lately.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    In my experience, Ryan prefers a phone call if it's going to be a long conversation.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    In my experience, Ryan prefers a phone call if it's going to be a long conversation.
    I'm the same way. I need his number first though ... ... I'm not in a HUGE rush... just trying to fill in the blanks on my build spreadsheet so I can prepare my wife for the e$timate

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    He is a vendor on this forum, and many others...

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...DCX-X3-pricing
    - Sandy

Thanks, I'll get in touch with him.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what oil I would be using for the break-in process and whether or not to then switch to something different and at what point that would best be done.

I'm thinking Royal Purple Break-in Oil followed by their HPS.

I'm still researching proper break-in protocol but it looks like there will be a higher frequency of changes during the first 2500 miles then working its way towards the standard 3k using the HPS.
    Last edited by Deanlm90; 03-03-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Where are you located there is a niner here for 700 but pretty beat only 144k....

Thanks but that's quite a bit out my way. I've got something like six 5.9L Magnum blocks at any given time in the junk yard by my house.