sfn's lonely vajay jay

PCV System with Baffled Canister on Valve Cover

Seems like a pretty neat idea automatically draining back into the engine! Very clean set up, I may pick one up as soon as they are released.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    I’ve been working on a setup that will be a properly operating PCV system without sucking oil into the intake manifold, especially with the low vacuum signal produced by a performance camshaft, with greater overlap and a lower LSA. It is intended to utilize a PCV valve that is calibrated for a lower vacuum signal, and close enough at idle to prevent excessive amounts of oil from being drawn into the intake.

I tried using only valve cover breathers, and the problem is that the blow-by fumes and oil ends up being pushed out into the engine compartment, especially under WOT of a performance engine. I am also trying to avoid using an oil separator that requires periodic draining.

This is what I have come up with to test on my truck. The prototype canister is something I machined out of scrap aluminum and welded together. It is a system of baffles where the oil is to coalesce and passively drain back into the engine before it gets drawn into the intake manifold.

It looks kind of funny with such small air cleaners but I’ll get around to a more substantial air cleaner in the future. For now, I just want to see how this works out. The system consists of the following: The prototype PCV baffled canister, a PCV valve for an older muscle car with a racy camshaft that operates at a lower vacuum signal, and a filtered breather on the driver’s side going to the air cleaner to handle the excess blow-by gases at WOT, when the PCV valve alone can’t keep up with the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by 98Dak408 View Post
    This closed PCV system has been working very well, and as my daily driver, it’s seen constant use since installation. I no longer have oil pushing out of the valve cover gaskets and grommets, like I did when I was running two breathers, one on each valve cover. It is handling the blow-by from continual WOT pulls. The PCV canister is not collecting oil, and I don’t have oil accumulating in the intake manifold. The system has substantially reduced oil vapor from passing through. It works very well with the filtered breather that feeds into the air cleaner. So far I am very happy with it.

Source: http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showth...ffled-Canister
    - Sandy

I just want the dual intake.... gigity. But the PCV works to.

RallyJeep GO
    What the heck intake manifold is that!?
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

Quote Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
    Mod man with a dual 2 plate?

Mod man with a dual 2 plate?

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, that's gotta be it. My motor is sadly nowhere near hardcore enough for that manifold, lol.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

That looks like a pretty cool idea.

Ya Mod Man makes some pretty nice stuff.

Its an interesting idea, but I would rather use a catch can. If you have a catch can and you looked at the fluid that is trapped in there it isn't just oil. It is a mixture of oil, fuel, and a little water. Fuel and water in the crank case isn't good.
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    This set up is a closed system. It's handling the blow-by from WOT pulls. I would not think there would be water mixed in there in this case. And if there was water, I would assume it would separate from the oil in the filtration system and evaporate.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    This set up is a closed system. It's handling the blow-by from WOT pulls. I would not think there would be water mixed in there in this case. And if there was water, I would assume it would separate from the oil in the filtration system and evaporate.

Its not quite a closed system because of the tube that goes from the one valve cover to the air filter tube. There is moisture in the air, so as the engine cools air will get pulled into the engine through the breather line that is connected to the air filter tube. Water collects inside the motor, a small amount each time it cools down. Once the engine is up to operating temperature it would normally evaporate and get sucked out the PCV. So with this little device the water could stay inside the motor, because it would condense in the devise just like the oil and fuel vapor. The oil filter won't filter out water.

360 Stroker, 408c.i.

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by JGC403 View Post
    Its not quite a closed system because of the tube that goes from the one valve cover to the air filter tube. There is moisture in the air, so as the engine cools air will get pulled into the engine through the breather line that is connected to the air filter tube. Water collects inside the motor, a small amount each time it cools down. Once the engine is up to operating temperature it would normally evaporate and get sucked out the PCV. So with this little device the water could stay inside the motor, because it would condense in the devise just like the oil and fuel vapor. The oil filter won't filter out water.
    Water will still evaporate out of the oil just like the stock PCV setup. The catch can just traps it and lets it condense rather than blowing into the intake as water vapor.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Water will still evaporate out of the oil just like the stock PCV setup. The catch can just traps it and lets it condense rather than blowing into the intake as water vapor.
    That was my thinking as well...
    - Sandy

The catch can is to keep excess blow-by crud from crudding up your TB, intake manifold, heads, valves, etc., and degrading their performance over time - not really to keep it from getting into the crank case oil. You change your supercharged oil more frequently to deal with that.
    Still... catch can good.

Yes a catch can would collect the water, and keep it in the can. But where is the water going to go with the baffled PCV thing that this thread is about. It will condense in it and drain back into the engine just like the oil vapor does.

360 Stroker, 408c.i.

Are you expecting the catch can to "catch" so much oil under boost that it'd be significant enough to warrant draining back in to the engine immediately? I have a catch can and only get about a teaspoon of oil in it between oil changes (but I'm N/A, so...).

It's a neat idea for sure, but... I think this might just be an excuse to add more shiny things under the hood.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    No - more of I am too lazy to empty a catch can. I am hoping the full length baffles under the valve cover will help with any blow by that creeps up from the grommets.
    - Sandy

I'm too lazy to put that much though into emptying a catch can... My 30 second, $2.99 solution.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    For those of you who (like me) have the savvy to install a catch can, but lack the mental wherewithal to get one with a drain petcock or to put the can in a spot that's easy to get to, I came up with a $2.99 solution to emptying it quickly and painlessly. Get a siphon pump from Harbor freight... Pop it in the can... Pump it a couple times... Profit. Not exactly rocket surgery or brain science, but I thought it was a nifty solution to a particular pain in my ass.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Link me to close up pics on how you mounted that sucker?
    - Sandy

^^ Mounting bracket to one of the PCM screws. ^^
    I did the one on our friend's 5.9L the same way, but since we take ours (hers) off-road, I wanted a more stable location, which is much less elegant and not photo-worthy.

This thread did prompt me to check the catch-can though, and to my pleasant surprise, it was 1/2-way to the "full" mark I put on the inspection tube. I hadn't really checked it since I put it in.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Just stinks not ALL PCV catch cans come with that type of mounting bracket. So many different styles and most are up top. I am a fan of the baffled catch can types.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Just stinks not ALL PCV catch cans come with that type of mounting bracket. So many different styles and most are up top. I am a fan of the baffled catch can types.
    You just have to get creative.

I repurposed my unused cruise control bracket.

All you have to do is IMAGINEER it!