Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    RallyJeep GO
    Yeah, you can convert CALI to FED emissions with SCT.

As far as adding pins to the connector, yeah, I should be able to do it without full disassembly. I just have to drill out the back part of the connector where they insert through, the un-used spots are solid and not drilled in my harness.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

RallyJeep GO
    I did some wiring today and got the e-fan stuff hooked up to the PCM. After about 7 attempts to figure out the fan settings in the SCT software, I have working PCM-based low speed e-fan control. High speed isn't working at the moment, not really sure why. I'll dig into it when I get a chance and hopefully hit on a simple fix.
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods

High idle for better heat and charging?

I assume the PCM is providing grounds to turn on the fans, yes?

Do you have the high speed wired to the Ignition Relay - or are you just checking for grounds at the PCM pins at this point?

Maybe duplicate a really high temp input at the CTS? I don't know exactly how you'd do that, lol - a resistor or something? I don't know if straight across jumping it would be healthy for the PCM.

If you had a spare CTS, you could plug it in and stick it in a pan of water that was heated to above normal hot engine temp.

RallyJeep GO
    The high speed is wired to the ignition relay, as stock. The ECU is providing ground just like the stock thermoswitches did as far as the fan relays are concerned.

I unplugged the low speed fan and let the motor heat up a couple degrees past my high speed turn on setting, it never kicked on (so I kicked it on with the manual switch to cool things back down).

I also just discovered a quirk with fan operation while moving, now that it's hot out today. Just tweaked a few things in the SCT software, we'll find out if that takes care of it.

RallyJeep GO
    Due to issues with the fan relay cycling constantly for no reason and some other quirks with the PCM based fan control, I ended up ditching it. I'm now running a Dakota Digital PAC-2750 fan controller and it works great.

I threw a temp sensor for it in the un-used port in my airgap manifold, so I can ditch the t-fittings at some point now. I set it up for low speed on at 215*, off at 211* (comes on at about 212* according to the ECU) and high speed on at 220*, off at 216*.

With it idling and the A/C off (A/C still triggers the fan as stock), the temp gauge sits pretty much at 210* (just on the top edge of the mark when the fan kicks on low, just on the bottom edge when it kicks off). Basically perfect in my book. And the 4* temp spread seems pretty much perfect, keeps the temperature swings as the fan cycles pretty small.

I mounted the controller way up under the driver's side dash (had to basically stand on my head in the footwell to configure it) and ran the wires into the engine bay.

That one sensor does both?

RallyJeep GO
    Yeah. It's not just a thermoswitch like the stock stuff, it's a sensor with a controller. The controller has low and high speed outputs, so it can drive both speed based on 1 temp sensor and the temperatures set on the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    That one sensor does both?
    It's a temp sensor with fan controller... the stock system uses thermal switches instead of sensors. So yes, the system does both with one sensor and electronic controller where stock uses two switches and no controller.

"temp gauge sits pretty much at 210*"
    Why come you picked such high temps... trying to get better mileage?

RallyJeep GO
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    It's a temp sensor with fan controller... the stock system uses thermal switches instead of sensors. So yes, the system does both with one sensor and electronic controller where stock uses two switches and no controller.

"temp gauge sits pretty much at 210*"
    Why come you picked such high temps... trying to get better mileage?
    A 195* t-stat isn't fully open until 210 - 215, so that's a pretty reasonable range for the fan to operate in. It'll stay down around 200* cruising down the road, but it's not helping anything to have the fan running constantly to fight to keep the temps at 200* in 90* weather in the middle of summer. Plus, setting it lower leads the fan being on constantly climbing any long, steep hill on the highway in hot weather with the A/C on, even though the fan being on isn't really helping anything (there's plenty of airflow already at highway speed).

So did you come to the conclusion that it actually wasn't do-able through just the PCM, or was it just too much hassle or what?

I'm guessing the Airgap had the extra port for the temp gauge sensor on OBD1 applications? ...and the temp sensor you used came with the DD kit and fit the spare port exactly? Nice find!

IIRC the boss for that 2nd sensor is still there on our OBD2s kegs but it would have to be drilled and tapped - or convert to the OBD1 keg and get a block-off plate for the EGR port.

Either way - nice find Rob!

That's one more step that can be done in the cleanup/customization of our engine compartments!

RallyJeep GO
    I did buy the sender separately from the controller, as the sensors they offer as an accessory are just a re-branded VDO sender with a few extra $$$ tacked on. And yeah, the port is there for OBDI stuff, I think. It takes a 1/8-27 NPT sender (same size as the stock coolant temp sensor).

The fan did work through the PCM, but I didn't like how it behaved with the A/C on, and I would have needed to add a pull-down resistor to avoid current leakage through the PCM causing the fan relays to chatter when off. And I never got the high speed to work either. Basically, it became a bigger pain than it was worth.

- - - Updated - - -

Only downside is the Dakota Digital controller isn't waterproof, so it has to go in the cabin, rather than the engine bay.