Lights not so fast zj

Hey guys! here is my build log! hope your site likes img links...or else this is going to look like shit and im going to be modifying it for awhile.

Going To tell my jeeps story from beginning to now, so hope you like scrolling! Got quite a few pictures

I got my jeep, a 98 zj laredo with the 4.0 when i first got my licence, got it from my mom when she got a new car, as a family we have owned this jeep since 04. Had a 180k miles when i got it, I didnt really know what i had untill last year tho, i still had fun on the beach as a 17 year old tho. Just liked driving around kicking up sand (which i now realise was stupid)

Fast forward acouple years, im starting to look at jeeps online, and wanting to start offroading, just excited to do anything, i was actually able drive around the new property of RC because my girlfriends step dad knew some people at the park! So the bone stock zj was able to drive around (basically going around every obstacle i now realise, however i thought it was cool!

During the winter i had my first real thing break on it...my door. Opened it when it was cold, tried to close it....CRACK

my temp fix...

then my new door i picked up from craigslist, I switched the cladding over the next day...still have the damn pinstripe to this day tho

A Couple months later my jeep hit its first milestone driving back from a rally upstate

At this point im saving up for my first lift, but thinking i was cool, and we had that one heatwave in april, i decided. I wanna take my doors off!

Then after acouple months i finally ordered my lift!:
    3.5" iro benchmark lift with bilstein shocks

Paired with some 15" cragar soft 8's with 31" Duratracs!

Come june 1st its time for the lift to be installed, me and my girlfriends dad put it in.

Then here she was the next morning! Was so weird driving around for the first couple days

Looks almost the same, but this is her after she was washed and got her alignment at planet auto by john.

Then going into the summer i decided to go doorless once again on the beach, this time with a lift. and a shiny new roof rack!

Then it was decided, i wanted to go to Rausch Creek for real, so i signed up for trail fest and went with some of you guys!

Picked up a gas tank skid, transfer case skid, hitch, tow hooks and a spare...then i was ready! Here she is ready to go at the park!

Here she was towards the middle of the day, only doing greens but you know what, for my first time offroad, im having a blast!

Then couldnt help but do a poster shot by the end of the weekend. No real carnage by the end of this weekend other then a tierod end.

Now that i made it back safe in sound, i couldent wait to go again, but in the mean time i was tired of one thing. NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE AT NIGHT...getting angry at the fogged up housings i decided to pick up some new ebay housings

Then i decided, what the hell, i got myself some 10k hid's (yes i know they are really blue, it looks nice, and i can still see awsomly at night)

Then it happened, i was invited to go to Rausch again by geoff, looking at his zj then looking back at mine...i decided...i needed more armor, if i am going to follow him. So what was my first idea? Rock Sliders! Bought a pair of iron rock premium sliders.

then got a front skid\ to complete the skid set!

Then i decided quick disconnects wouldent hurt, got a set of jks quick discos (here is her first attempt at really flexing, thinking im limited by control arms now)

I was then ready for RC! But then...a craigslist ad happened, something i really couldn't afford but had to do it....

a ARB bumperr!!!!! Drove out to New Jersey got it for 440 with the lights, got it installed the next day

Then my girlfriend actually wired my lights for me later that day!

Now i was really ready, and it was time to set off, went with the bunch of guys from long island here are some pics from the first day

Then day 2, i learned, jeeps do not run on water for some reason. Stalled out completely filling my air box with water from the "5 foot hole" However after a couple minutes of panic, the air box was emptyied and she turned over right away, I then stayed away from water the rest of the day.

She was tired by the end of day 2 but she had fun.

Then came the drive home, was all good untill 2 hours into the drive back. Loud screaming noise from the middle of the jeep, transfer case was dieing, every bump it was blowing into nuteral, getting worse and worse through the drive, kept telling my jeep "just please make it back on the island", well. It did. right as soon as i got on the island exit 32 i think, she wouldent drive at all. Go towed to Goonies Garage with my girlfriends trailer (got it in gear long enough to drive up the trailer)

She got fixed up within the next couple days, with a t-case fresh from the junk yard.

got a cb

Installed a snorkel!!! after almost drowning it once decided it would be a good idea.

I got a new aluminum tie rod, and a diff cover for my beat up dana 30

decided to stop being a douche bag so I did my first projector retrofit.

(newest pic from the other day, just washed off the pile of salt from driving back from vermont)

other then a few little things here and there....put an amp in it and acouple speakers. No subs...., my hilift...thats pretty much all thats going on.....just starting to redo my projector retrofit with new housings today old ones were broken and leaked.

Dam son... jumped right in. Great start to the insanity.

Great post! You have made a lot of progress.

"Daily driver. If I roll it, I'm screwed.". Good stuff!
    Sold my 97 because I didn't want my niner to be a garage queen... or maybe because I knew I would never want to drive the 97 again. Honestly I'm not sure which. So my project car is my DD, which makes careful mod planning mandatory!

What part of Vermont were you in? I grew up in the Chester/Springfield area. Exit 7 off of I-91.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    What part of Vermont were you in? I grew up in the Chester/Springfield area. Exit 7 off of I-91.
    I have family in williston which is basically right next to burlington! Im in long island so it was a good 6 hours away. btw you guys use enough salt up there????

also new projectors are all done today! lets hope i dont fill these up with water now.

Last edited by Arctic. Light; 01-15-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Nice retrofit.

That's an impressive Jeep and an impressive "jumping in" as was said above!

Did you actually bend that ARB at the bottom right center, or is that just an illusion? If you did bend it - that's pretty impressive too!

...and your girlfriend has a trailer... Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    That's an impressive Jeep and an impressive "jumping in" as was said above!

Did you actually bend that ARB at the bottom right center, or is that just an illusion? If you did bend it - that's pretty impressive too!

...and your girlfriend has a trailer... Do tell!
    really. its my girlfriends dad who has a trailer, realise i typed that a little wrong.

I did bent my bumper though!!! LOL my friends make the little zj on 31's do black trails.....dosent work out so well sometimes...approach angle isent the best with that thing lmfao.

Nice looking build up. It's amazing how capable they can be on 31's, rocked mine for 10 years.
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese