Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Project "SamTu"

Anyone like how I decorate my office?

1998 5.9 limited grand cherokee, 196,000 miles, 360ci stock block, 46re stock tranny converted to RWD, 2WD front axle, Bosch 703 injectors, WJ brake swap. IRO dimpled and slotted rotors, K&N, MSD 6A, IAT relocate

Do you work for Keller? I work for Proctor Sales in Alaska.

I like your paperweights.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefromthecave View Post
    Do you work for Keller? I work for Proctor Sales in Alaska.
    Yes sir i do!
    Keller supply Seattle! Branch 20

What do you do for Proctor?
    1998 5.9 limited grand cherokee, 196,000 miles, 360ci stock block, 46re stock tranny converted to RWD, 2WD front axle, Bosch 703 injectors, WJ brake swap. IRO dimpled and slotted rotors, K&N, MSD 6A, IAT relocate

I might be able to take a look and get a measurement if I ever get my butt out there today, lol.

Those measurements probably aren't as important as the physical measurements of what you actually have in there now, if that makes any sense. In other words the important measurement is from the shaft to the axle flange with the Jeep sitting at it's normal (or planned) ride height. That's what a good driveshaft fabricator is going to go by

I got a custom length dshaft from Marty/SUPERSHAFTS for my lightweight. He's in our vendor section but I don't think he's been on here in a long while.

I don't recall the exact stuff he asked for as that was several years ago, but IIRC it was from the butt end of the output shaft to some section of the axle flange, the strap surface maybe? .... along with the actual and exact measurement of the flange itself (distance across etc bolt holes maybe and width too I think?)
    That's to make sure you're both talking about the same flange. The D44A came with two different models/sizes of flange depending on the application, so a good fabber will want to confirm which one you have. (it could be a swapped in rear end, or Jeep may have run out of the 'correct' flange the day that particular 5.9 went together - whatever, LOL.

If you can't bring the Jeep itself, talk to whoever is doing the fabbing and they'll tell you exactly what they need for measurements

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I might be able to take a look and get a measurement if I ever get my butt out there today, lol.

Those measurements probably aren't as important as the physical measurements of what you actually have in there now, if that makes any sense. In other words the important measurement is from the shaft to the axle flange with the Jeep sitting at it's normal (or planned) ride height. That's what a good driveshaft fabricator is going to go by

I got a custom length dshaft from Marty/SUPERSHAFTS for my lightweight. He's in our vendor section but I don't think he's been on here in a long while.

I don't recall the exact stuff he asked for as that was several years ago, but IIRC it was from the butt end of the output shaft to some section of the axle flange, the strap surface maybe? .... along with the actual and exact measurement of the flange itself (distance across etc bolt holes maybe and width too I think?)
    That's to make sure you're both talking about the same flange. The D44A came with two different models/sizes of flange depending on the application, so a good fabber will want to confirm which one you have. (it could be a swapped in rear end, or Jeep may have run out of the 'correct' flange the day that particular 5.9 went together - whatever, LOL.

If you can't bring the Jeep itself, talk to whoever is doing the fabbing and they'll tell you exactly what they need for measurements
    38.5 is just about right

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...way!!!-writeup

I did some measurements today and it matches what he has in the post!

That being said i need to find a drivehaft from a 2wd zj and with the right rear larger ujoint (5.9 d44a) and i can save a butt load of money on a custom made shaft.

Did the valve cover gaskets and put my new rims on today!!

Wholly crap, those look huge!

Got any side shots with them from further away?

Also - what's going on with your alternator? Is that the big-ass Dodge one, like a zillion amps or whatever?

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Wholly crap, those look huge!

Got any side shots with them from further away?

Also - what's going on with your alternator? Is that the big-ass Dodge one, like a zillion amps or whatever?
    The rims are from a 2009 dodge challenger SE, the tires are good sized. 265/60/18

Yea, the alternator is a durango swap. When i replaced the factory one i replaced it with a 130 amp (160 for the 5.9 are not listed in parts stores and they don't reman the 160 with ZJ pigtails) so when the fan would kick on I could see a voltage drop so I picked up a 160 amp and got the pigtails from PICK-N-PULL. Easy upgrade/factory replacement

I dig the meats. Gives the Jeep a "stuffed" fenderwell look.
    I actually work for Combustion and Control which is the service division of Proctor. We handle warranty work and servicing of big boilers.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefromthecave View Post
    I actually work for Combustion and Control which is the service division of Proctor. We handle warranty work and servicing of big boilers.
    Right on. My branch does a lot with SE Alaska and about 90% of the boilers we do go up there.

++++++++++++++++++Update++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Picked up some black lugs and did the plugs

The challenger rims make my WJ brakes looks super small

Not sure how this happened but it might explain my idle.

++++++++++++++2WD UPDATE++++++++++++++++++

Pulled the driveshaft front the 5.9 and took it to Drivelines NW
    https://www.drivelinesnw.com/

Took the driveline from 34" to 38"
    All the 2WD trucks are 38.5

This thing is amazing. Ff you are in the Puget sound are and need driveline work done. I highly recommend drivelinsNW.

So many PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Transfer case yoke is not that same size as the 2wd output. The drive shaft was short by 2 inches somehow. Big waste of money!!!!!
    DRIVESHAFT!!! take the one you get when you pull or buy the overdrive housing!!!
    Now I have a 5'6" 1998 Dakota driveshaft that i need to have shortened and set up for the Dana 44HD (F$%# My life)
    ALSO!!!! If you pull apart the overdrive before you put it in you trucks make sure all the spline gears line up before you reassemble.

Make sure you get the ZJ 2WD transmission mounts. The ram one will work but you will need to put spacers between the mount and the overdrive. (about 2 inches of spacers.......)

More updates soon!!

Just made the connection you live in Seattle. Me too! We should meet up and drink beer and talk ZJ's!

Quote Originally Posted by tirus89 View Post
    Just made the connection you live in Seattle. Me too! We should meet up and drink beer and talk ZJ's!
    hell yea. where is Seattle are you?

UPDATE!!!!!
    Sunday I went to pick-In-Pull and picked up a rear driveshaft from a 1999 2wd Dakota with the right output yoke size.
    The yoke is alot longer than the zj one.
    Pressed the new slip yoke on the new short driveshaft and it kinda fits..... i need to add 2 inches to the drive line but it works for now. I was able to drive her home.

I'm around the Northgate area, but I go anywhere, Seattle is small, but dense. You got a facebook?

LATE UPDATE!!!!

2wd is done and working amazing!!!

You will need the mount from a 2wd truck

And after going to portland to get his!! you might be able to use a 42re overdrive and driveshaft........ i was not happy when i was looking and it looks like everything is the same!

You will need to drill holes to mount the cross-member on bolt set forward

It works great!!!! but it still needs to got faster

TUNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked up a gauge pod from Lotek and a AEM wideband gauge
    http://www.gaugepods.com/

First time welding!!

Also got a new SCT tool

and i have the program in the mail.

Wish me luck!

- - - Updated - - -

SIDE PROJECT!!!

My buddys (the guy helping me in most pictures) grandpa started this LT swap back in 2001.
    He picked up a totaled 1998 GMC jimmy (brand new) in 2000 and pulled the drivetrain out to put in his 62 jeep.

Unforunetly due to unseen heath complications this projcat came to almost a full stand still maybe 9 years ago. (He can weld or use some tools with his pacemaker and ect...)

About a month ago Athan (the buddy) and I were at pick-n-pull getting my jeep parts and we picked up a fuse box for the jimmy motor and not this project is back in full swing. 4 or 5 days a week after work and on weekends.... not a single this on this jeep we can buy and bolt on.

This thing will be so bad ass

excellent... glad you are having some good progress and enjoying it.

Long time no post!
    Sorry guys!

So i Picked up a used K&N and a MSD 6A box int he last few weeks. I just got around to cleaning them up and putting it all together and doing my IAT relocate.
    Guess Who i got the K&N from!!!
    THANK YOU JOE (TIRUS89)

My buddy and i have make a crap load of progress on the CJ with the Vortec in it. All we are waiting on is 2 fuel fittings and it should run!!!!

OH!!! and I found another project!!! Its still a secret till i get the guy to see it but here is a sneak peek!

Quote Originally Posted by theopacific1 View Post
    LATE UPDATE!!!!

2wd is done and working amazing!!!

You will need the mount from a 2wd truck

And after going to portland to get his!! you might be able to use a 42re overdrive and driveshaft........ i was not happy when i was looking and it looks like everything is the same!

You will need to drill holes to mount the cross-member on bolt set forward

It works great!!!! but it still needs to got faster

TUNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked up a gauge pod from Lotek and a AEM wideband gauge

First time welding!!

Also got a new SCT tool

and i have the program in the mail.

Wish me luck!

Any chance you might be able to expand the pic of where you welded in the bung. I'm still unsure as to where it's mounted. Thanks.

Oh hey! No worries, glad its getting used!

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Any chance you might be able to expand the pic of where you welded in the bung. I'm still unsure as to where it's mounted. Thanks.

Its in the exhaust pipe right after the left and right bank come together.

Quote Originally Posted by theopacific1 View Post
    Its in the exhaust pipe right after the left and right bank come together.
    Thanks very much. So right behind the Y pipe right?
    Last edited by MexiJeeper; 03-18-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Thanks very much. So right behind the Y pipe right?
    yes sir