sfn's lonely vajay jay

5.2/5.9 Supercharger Kit

Place is within driving distance from me. May take the 5.9 and see if this would all work...

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30017

Quote Originally Posted by perfinj View Post
    This is the truck we have one of our prototype systems installed on. It is one of our built 360ci boosted engines. It features billet main caps, stock crank, H beams, PIE custom blower pistons, and our iron stage 2 ported heads.

The engine was built a couple of years back for the customer. The customer had just a regular vortech kit on it and finally wanted to upgrade from the S-trim. He purchased the YSI with our blower drive and the boost control system.

The truck also has one of our fuel systems. The truck being a 94 Dak was originally an OBD-1 so we converted it to OBD-2 with our conversion kit.

Our drive system features a one piece crank pulley utilizing a 10 rib belt for the blower and a mechanical tensioner on the blower. We have a cog drive going to be available.

Pictured is the boost control system. This acts like a wastegate on a turbo. Allowing the boost to hit about 1000 rpm earlier than a typical centrifugal supercharger. Once the boost levels have been set for a high and low it can be controlled by a simple switch in the cab.

Sorry the dyno pic might be a little hard to read. The lower power is on 8 lbs and the higher is on 16lbs. The one thing limiting factor on this combo is the headers. They are a tri y design with a 2.5" collector. There is still more power in this combo. I let off early on the 16 lb pull and we had not even crested yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by perfinj View Post

Here is a pic of our supercharger kit. We are currently working on the last phase of our system and that is the installation directions and we are also installing a system on our shop truck. The pricing breakdown will be posted this week. We will be selling the system 100% complete, kit minus head unit, and lastly kit minus head unit and electronics.

Unlike other supercharger systems out there ours is designed to be expandable. It can support stock 5.2 / 5.9 engines or heavily built 408ci engines and larger. We are utilizing the Vortech S-trim for power levels up to 500 RWHP and the large YSI for serious applications.

FEATURES
    10 RIB pulley for increased belt traction
    selectable boost level control system with out ever changing pulleys
    dedicated blower drive pulley
    works like a positive displacement blower. Instant boost off idle
    system upgradable
    heavy duty brackets to decrease flexing
    - Sandy

PIE gets a lot of bad press. Mostly from blowing up customers $10,000+ engines and not standing behind their work. I'd suggest some serious research before investing any time/money with them. (The PIE Carnage threads on DakRT wouldn't be a bad place to start).

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I was more or less looking into the hardware not so much the tuning...
    - Sandy

All that stuff aside - that is a seriously good lookin Dak!

I was toying with the idea of the newer body style 96ish Dak just for the sake of doing something (slightly) different, but this is pretty interesting.

I'd like to know what their OBD2 conversion consists of and if they sell it separately. Could be of use to the peeps that want to hotrod their early ZJs

its funny to me that the SC idler doesnt make full contact with the belt.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    its funny to me that the SC idler doesnt make full contact with the belt.

oooh, now that you point that out...!

Interesting way they have of doing that. Separate belt for the SC and all. I wonder how much difference that makes in belt slippage, and also wonder if there's even room for that setup on a ZJ?

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I e-mailed them about it inquiring about the hardware and they said this should have no issues fitting the Grand Cherokee's. The one thing they would be worried about is the spacing between motor and fan. These guys are somewhat local to me and they have other parts I was looking into.
    - Sandy

This is a good find. Could be very helpful to those buying your brackets. Curious if they sell parts individually.

Quote Originally Posted by 712crew View Post
    This is a good find. Could be very helpful to those buying your brackets. Curious if they sell parts individually.
    Just keep in mind the PIE kit uses a separate balancer pulley for the blower belt, which means their bracket probably has a different offset than the original Vortech Magnum motor brackets. (and I'm assuming the originals are what you copied, Sandy, yes?)

Not really a big deal but some of the stuff could be a bit different. You can probably get the tubes and elbows in whatever lengths you need though.

And as they mentioned in the post Sandy relayed above - you'd want to check clearance by the Efan before trying there's on a ZJ.

None of this is really important - just pointing out that some few components might not be interchangeable between the original Vortech stuff and PIE's setup

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I am getting the Vortech original bracketry cloned. More updated materials most likley for strength but will bolt up as the Vortech kit is supposed to.
    - Sandy

Hmm... interesting. E-fan clearance is doubtful. That hat will NOT fit a ZJ without a hole in the hood, though I've found a couple that would. Still think cloning the Vortech brackets was necessary! Has it been 4-6 weeks yet?... can't wait!
    I really like the idea of adjustable boost limiter. Many bypass or blowoff valves are adjustable, but you can't adjust from the cabin... not that I'd want to, but it would be nice to adjust more easily than adjusting the set-screw and changing the valve spring. I would sure like to know how that system works!
    I also like the idea of a separate SC drive belt... would make it easier to switch back to normally aspirated in case the compressor needs repair or you want it to go slow... It's also nice that they went to an 8" diameter crank pulley over the stock 7". For us to hit the max compressor RPM we would need to use Vortech's smallest compressor pulley (2.62") at 5100 engine RPM, and we would probably get slippage if we tried to use it. Maxing out the compressor RPM at engine redline is the way to get boost at lower RPM... and that's how he did it.
    Sounds to me like the guy knows what he's doing, even if he has blowed up customers' motors with his tuning.
    Last edited by carlmon; 11-18-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    I am getting the Vortech original bracketry cloned. More updated materials most likley for strength but will bolt up as the Vortech kit is supposed to.
    Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Hmm... interesting. E-fan clearance is doubtful. That hat will NOT fit a ZJ without a hole in the hood,....

I think the original setup is probably the better way to go, although this one might have some good points.

I thought someone (or someones, lol) had used that airhat on a ZJ, although it might require trimming some of the hood bracing - or I might just be thinking of Daryl. He's got a cowl hood setup so clearance isn't an issue.

If that airhat won't work, note that they also show the boost controller mounted on the piping in the link Sandy originally posted. Post #4, 3rd pic : http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30017

I meant to look at mine to see if it looks like there's room for the extra belt and pulley. I forgot to, but offhand it looks like it wouldn't fit - but maybe with some creative trimming of the fan shroud or the use of a flatter aftermarket Efan you could do it.

Another odd thing I'm noticing in that first pic in the ^ first post here - not particularly important but I'm noticing that alternator has a weird setup. It looks like a normal Magnum alt and it looks like it's still sitting in it's normal alignment, but he uses a spacer to offset it a little to the outside. It's probably just for clearance for something he has going on with his intake or fuel rail plumbing or whatever.

I really do like that truck though. Nice stance etc.

There are other hats that would definitely fit, but might not flow as well. I also noticed the bypass valve in the discharge tube in the earlier photo, but I like the location on the back of the hat. I think in the tube would create more turbulence in the airflow. I plan to put my bypass valve in the hat also, but on the side. I think this will fit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnt-10351/overview/ , and has good places to weld a bypass valve flange...
    Structurally, this setup is more stressed than the original Vortech since it's further from the engine mounting points... this is why the brackets need to be much stronger to do the same job. The original kit is simpler, which is usually better, so I agree... the better way to go.