Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sfn's lonely vajay jay

Supercharger Brackets 5.2/5.9

I dropped off my mounting plate and bracket to a fab shop to get these replicated as they no longer exist. It's the 2-pieces shown here -

Actual items here -

The mountain bracket (LEFT) will be machined out of aluminum and the mounting plate (RIGHT) will be machined out of steel. Blocks of aluminum are not cheap.

Price for BOTH SHIPPED: $OLD OUT
    Deposit Required: $50

This is the price for a run of 5. If more people are interested then this will drive the cost down. After this run it will be up to the shop on what they would want to charge to make these. And it's going to cost more for individual runs.

Please keep in mind these are very rare to find and are no longer being made.

MEMBERS:
    1.) NYNiner (Shipped)
    2.) BoostinChick (Shipped)
    3.) 712crew (Shipped)
    4.) carlmon (Shipped)
    5.) --- Secret Buyer ---
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 01-06-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    - Sandy

I have no need for one, but I'm glad someone is finally making the move to do this. I've seen this discussed for years.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Yea - I am already regretting it. It seems most folks gripe is the price point which I find hilarious considering the mounting bracket kits left are $450+ new for the same grade materials. I am making zero profit on this as it's more business for a friend's fabrication shop.

Anyway, for those not registered that may be viewing this and want to get in touch with me to purchase these my e-mail is boostinchick at gmail dot com.
    - Sandy

Sandra as I said on FB I am definitely in.

ravi

- - - Updated - - -

Need 4 more!

Great deal. I basically paid a grand for those years ago.
    '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9er
    Southeast RT Blower Built 360 & CNC Ported 2.02 R/T Heads / COMP Cams Custom Cam / Crower Rockers / Edelbrock Headers / P&P Kegger / MSaine Valve Body / 247|249 Hybrid Transfer Case / Kolak Exhaust / Mopar Vulcanized Rubber Cupholder

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Original post updated. Need 3-more members! I spoke with the fabricator and he is requiring a $50 NON-REFUNDABLE deposit as a commitment that 5 of us are in. It will take around 4-6 weeks between the CAD renderings and an actual product. But think on the positive side, $50 now and will only need to cough up $225 final payment later!
    - Sandy

I'm in Sandra.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad we finally got this figured out. Thank you

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Post updated! 2-more people and we can get this going!
    - Sandy

Dear Speed Freaks (and I mean that in the best possible way), I WANT to be in on this, but I'm a noob (nube, nubie, whatever), and need a crash course... no, not a course to crash my niner, but an accelerated (pun intended) learning curve on what is needed to add the SC.
    I only found this Mecca of websites this weekend, and after pouring though hundreds, if not thousands of comments I still don't know much more about what is needed... probably because putting a Vortech SC for a ZJ together piecemeal is a new thing.
    OK... I understand I will need these brackets, which are exclusive to the Magnum engines and are no longer made. I would offer to fab these in my own humble home machine shop, but frankly my time is worth more than the $275 cost. I'd happily plunk this down if I can see a clear course to supercharging.

But... what else is needed, and how can it be sourced? I went to Vortech's website and called them long before I discovered Speedfreaks, and found nothing helpful since it is long discontinued. I've had a search on ebay for 'Vortech Supercharger grand cherokee' for six months with no fruit. I figured there has to be some SC GC out there wrapped around a phone pole being parted out.

Please chime in and detail what you're using, or plan to use, price (if known) and where it may be obtained. Also, PHOTOS of existing installs might be helpful... does anyone (Sandy) have the Vortech install manual they could scan and post (I don't think it's still on Vortech's website)?

Shopping list:
    Head unit (which Vortech model... or other?)
    Drive pulley size
    Air Hat (I guess my FIPK that worked flawlessly with no leaks on my niner and my previous ZJ for over 10 years goes on ebay)
    Plumbing (between head and hat)
    Plumbing (to air cleaner)... anybody found a way to get cold air to the air cleaner without piercing the hood?
    Small bits needed (spacers, etc.)
    SCT tuning (Flyinryan)

Also... best things to setup the motor for boost:
    Intake manifold (modded keg, M1 2bbl/4bbl), Hughes FI)... and please splain your choice.
    Throttle body
    Heads (stock, EQ, Edelb)... I'm wondering if stock heads (mine are good) with 1.7 roller rockers would suffice.
    Cam (I barely figured out what I wanted for normally aspirated... have to start over for boost)... low to mid range torque is where I want my power

Other goodies, or anything I've missed?
    Water injection to cool boosted air?

A year ago I picked up a babied Canadian Bright Platinum 5.9 with just under 100k miles for under $4k. I named it Bambi, because a deer totaled my 97 ZJ that was on its last legs, and my insurance company bought me this one. Here's what I've done to it so far:
    Thorley headers, Kolak 3" SS exhaust (all business... no chrome tips!), FIPK CAI (heat tape wrapped), IAT sensor moved to FIPK, Jet 180 degree thermostat, Accel coil, Accel 9000 wires, drilled Callahan (as in "Tommy Boy"!) rotors, Performance Friction pads, F&R sway bars, 18" Privat Kraftwerk rims, 255/55/18 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires (I take it on logging roads for camping), e-code headlights, e-code tail lights (no yellow!), 12-channel 1200 watt Alpine stereo that is absolutely as much amplifier as can fit under the rear seats with jack removed of course (I like tunes when going fast!), spare tire delete (when's the last time anyone used their spare?).
    I imagine I might need to go to a big brake kit... performance rotors and PF pads are barely enough before boost.

Please edumicate me! I want to join the SC ZJ club!

Well carlmon that was one hell of a first post. Welcome to the land of crazy! You'll fit right in.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    1st off, welcome! The install manual IS in fact available on Vortech's website still.

Link: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/images/42.pdf

Even though it says 5.2L this install guide (and I say guide very lightly) applies to the 5.9. The Vortech kits do come up from time to time just have to be patient and find the funds. Extend your search to 5.9 Dodge's as well as a lot of our parts are interchangeable as they have the 5.9 motor as well. Unfortunately, it's not super straight forward as pieces tend to be missing depending on who you buy from. I just happened to be so lucky to have BOTH mounting pieces. You will still need to figure out fueling and oil feed/return for the supercharger itself.

I also made this post - http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...453#post149453

...which I feel is a very straight forward grocery list of what is required in order to boost these things.
    - Sandy

I would love to get in on this but right now I don't plan on boosting mine and I have enough "just in case" parts cluttering my space. Would need to put together another order of 5 to get these at a later date?
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    With how unpopular these are, I am not even getting 5 people now. I think that once this run is done that will be it for these, unfortunately. I personally will not continue to utilize my resources to offer these with the experience I have had. It seems as if folks have either lost interest or feel the price is too steep.

Keep in mind that these are going to take a good 4-6 weeks to deliver. The $50 deposit secures the pair of brackets to be fabricated. This means that when the product is finished, you would only need $225 to complete the sale and have them shipped to your door.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 11-12-2014 at 06:02 AM.
    - Sandy

sfn's lonely vajay jay

Update!

Going to start pinging you guys soon to collect the deposit. Looks like we have found 5!

Due to the underwhelming need for these I will not be pursuing these further. So, to be clear, these will be the first and last supercharger brackets to be made from my end.
    - Sandy

I AM OFFICIALLY IN SANDY! Where/how/when Do I send my $50 deposit? Does that make 6?
    I'd pay extra for a stainless flat plate... no rust, no painting... just sayin', not complainin'.

Thanks Sandy - NOW we're getting somewhere. Ever notice when you're trying to find your keys, they're always in the last place you look? It's the same with supercharger manuals... one more click and I would have found much of what I was looking for!

I thought the install guide was pretty good- I think they're assuming if you're attempting to install one of these you're capable of a bit more than installing windshield wipers. I imagine it would make the install pretty straight forward if you have a complete kit, and gives good hints if you're piecing it together. This whole notion is starting to look like reality to me.

I am a sponge. I knew little about superchargers a week ago, except that I wanted one, but I'll be an expert in 6 months. I'm OCD like that. Here's are some things I've learnt:

Vortech's V1, V2 and V3 would all fit the same brackets and are the same size. They are all variations of the original V1 body, and the only differences are the gears, oiling method, and trims available.
    The V1 is considered their race/heavy duty model, has straight gears, which have more contact area, which makes the gears louder and stronger (if you want to scare women and children)... but less efficient, and requires external oil lines (to engine oil or other). V1 also recommends using a cog belt drive, but I suppose the original kit with larger belt pulley is sufficient for our application.
    V2 has helical cut gears (instead of straight cut) so it's quieter for a sleeper street sniper, slightly higher gear ratio, otherwise the same- still plenty of boost potential up to 22lbs and 775HP.
    V3 also has helical gears, but is internally lubricated so you don't need to run an engine oil line... though you do have to change the internal oil. External oil versions are recommended for "extended boost", so even though the V3 is most popular and easier to install, I will steer clear. Being the most popular only means people are lazy.
    Each come in different options: clockwise or counter-clockwise (I THINK we want clockwise??), straight or curved outlet (curved), and internal 'trims'.
    The trim determines the boost pressure and flow- it does not equate to better quality. The original kit V1 trim was 'S', which is no longer made- don't know the specs. The Ti is only available on the V1 and is the most powerful (27lbs 950HP). The Si is high performance trim with up to 22lbs boost and 1150 CFM flow and 775HP, and also has the highest peak efficiency... don't know where that peak is though- bigger isn't always better. The SCI is also highly efficient, has up to 17lbs boost, 1050 CFM and 725HP potential. 'E' trim is only avialable on V2 - it's supposedly the most efficient (perhaps highest average, but not highest peak) with a low friction seal, up to 17lbs boost, 1150 CFM and 775HP.
    All trims cost the same. V2 and V3 cost the same from Vortech ($2,377), but prices vary (though always less) from superchargersonline. V1 costs $180 more. Polished costs $140 extra.

Another note about Vortech Trims... Vortech can change the trims of an existing V1, V2 or V3 unit, so the S or SC can be upgraded to Si if you feel the need for more boost.

Bottom line, I think I want the V2, either E or SCi trim. I like the idea of quiet and efficient, and these are capable of enough boost to eat anything short of a Hellcat if you dial them up... but if I come across a good deal on a V1 or Si trim V2 I won't complain. It's my understanding that the trims designed for lower max boost and flow do more in lower RPM ranges, kind of how a large turbo on a small motor has terrible lag, but can blow the heads off the motor once spooled up. Smaller trim with pulley size to match the peak boost with redline will give better performance than a big one that never reaches max boost, so it's best to buy the correct one, not the biggest. When Vortech made the Magnum kit back in the 90's, I think the V1-S was the only charger they made, and it's no longer the best choice for us.

Here are a few tech articles what learnt me some... also a place to buy groceries: http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...page=page&id=1

A couple things I missed on my grocery list in my first post:
    Fuel Management Unit (FMU) - do I understand correctly that an SCT programmer eliminates the need for this $174 part?
    Bypass valve - I understand why we need pressure relief, but I don't understand why the bypass pressure is routed to the inlet... would't that result in reheating the same air that already went through the compressor? Why would this be better than a blow-off valve? On a different thread, I saw another poster specifically said we need the bypass, NOT blowoff. Could someone splain why?

So, what I know I need now is:
    Blower $2200 (new) CW or CCW??
    Brackets $275 (courtesy of Sandy's efforts)
    Bypass valve (or blow-off??) $65-$$$
    Hat $175-$$$
    Inlet tube
    Charge tube
    Elbows or adapters to reach hat
    Oil lines
    Pipe fitting for oil lines in pan

Enough for now!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ I would definitely copy/paste most of that into another thread in the Forced Induction section LOL. I will PM you my PayPal info for the deposit.
    - Sandy

sfn's lonely vajay jay

Update!

CAD rendering is complete. The mounting plate is being cut and will be finished shortly. The mounting bracket he updated the "webbing" a bit for strength. The original part is cast and this will be cut from a solid piece of aluminum. This should strengthen the bracket and hopefully avoid belt slippage. As soon as these parts are complete I will go test fit ALL kits to ensure proper fitment.

Big thanks to JMFabrications for getting these turned around so quickly. We are estimating that these should be done by mid-December. I will be collecting the final payment of $225 then. Just in time for Christmas!

- Sandy

I'm guessing I'm a little late to the the party but is there any way to get in on this?

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I can put you on the list and ask my fab guy if he can make another one. But more than likely as all the materials have already been ordered in bulk it's a slim chance. Will let you know if someone ends up backing out though.
    - Sandy

Alright thanks!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Another update of a physical item! This is the main mounting bracket:

Also - a minor tweak to the mounting plate thanks to Tim Edwards. Adding another notch at the 12 o'clock position. This additional notch/tab will provide more tension and more wrap on the belt as seen here -

...as ours were being water jet cut this notch will be cleaner.

If the fabricator keeps this pace up I should have a mock up on my Jeep before Christmas! w00t w00t!
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 12-03-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    - Sandy

sfn's lonely vajay jay

Complete!

These are complete and have been bench tested. I will need to schedule a time with him to get my Jeep in there to do a dry mock-up of everything to ensure fit unless you guys want this stuff right away.

Mounting plate with extra "notch" (thank you Tim Edwards) -

Bench Test Fitting -

^ Showing that there is clearance between the bracket and the tensioner stud/washer/nut.

^ Showing the tensioner mounted in the new "notch"

I will be pinging you guys after the Holidays to collect the final payment, unless you want them sooner. If so, please PM me and we can work out the final payment.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 12-10-2014 at 09:56 AM.
    - Sandy

I'm guessing you didn't have a enough for an extra. If anyone bails let me know I got first dibs!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofastjeep View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't have a enough for an extra. If anyone bails let me know I got first dibs!
    I won't know until January when I attempt to collect payment. Want to give those who put a deposit down a fair chance since this is so close to the Holidays. I definitely have you down and will reach out to you first if one of these frees up.
    - Sandy

Sounds good.