Beared One

Just bought my first 5.9

Just bought a 5.9 yesterday for real cheap, has some issues, but will do what it takes to fix them.

image.jpg

Welcome aboard fellow Tennessee'n. What might the issues be? Congrats again on the purchase and preservation of these beasts.

Beared One
    Has a blown head gasket. Needs a radio. Battery (just bought one for it). Power steering leak. Has wrangler wheels with knobby 31s on it that rub, looking to change them out. But I picked it up for $800.

good deal...

Welcome to the site! Looks like a good deal

You going to do the head gaskets in place or are you going to go through the motor and build it - or just swap motors? Dodge 5.9s are plentiful and might be pretty cheap depending on your local market.

One of mine needs HGs too. I'm swapping it with my other motor for now, then I can build that one as time and money allow.

Beared One
    Me and a buddy are going to do just the head gaskets. Not planning on pulling the engine or going through the whole engine. Lucky for me he has a Dakota with a 426 magnum stroker and an extra 5.9, so he knows all about them.

Do yourself a favor and do the plenum pan mod when you're in there. (replaces the problematic tin pan and it's gasket problems with aluminum plate so it's set it and forget it )

1999BLKDAK in our vendor section has them, and you can find others online if he's out of stock.

And be prepared for a broken bolt or two towards the front of the intake. Luckily you have a buddy with Magnum experience so you might already know this stuff

Beared One
    I already ordered the kit from Hughes. My brother also Owned two 5.9s, he used to be on here, he was darkvw.