Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My XJ Build

Wow! That's some serious progress you've made in a relatively short time.

Amazing.

I've been meaning to post for like a month now and ask what the reason was for the wheel well and rear quarter work. Didn't look like it needed repair there and didn't look like it was done for strengthening - but I think I finally figured it out just now, lol.

I didn't see the original position of the wheel well, but now I'm figuring out you moved that rear half of the wheel well back and the metal is a filler for the amount it was moved - and that and the rear quarter trimming was done for a lot more tire travel clearance towards the rear.

Did I get it right? Do I win anything?

I really should have been able to guess that sooner because I was thinking of doing something similar on my lightweight, but in a different direction.

Figured being 2WD it would need help with traction in the form of wider tires.

I was thinking since the shocks are pretty much what limits tire clearance towards the inside, if I went to coil-over shocks mounted inboard and relocated the wheel wells inboard then the limiting factor would just be the frame rail.

I doubt I'd find wheels with that much offset, so it might require a narrower rear axle. Between that and having to fab something for the top shock mount - I'm not sure if I want to put the effort into this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I've been meaning to post for like a month now and ask what the reason was for the wheel well and rear quarter work.
    You got the first part correct. When stepping up to 35"x12.5" tires I was ever so slightly rubbing the tire on both sides of the wheel well. There is no way to clearance any more on front of the wheel well making the extra room have to come from the rear. The perches move the axle back giving the front room and then the back had to be cut to fit also. To keep the shape of wheel well, it was cut, moved back and the extra filled in.

The other reason is for departure angle. As the back tire drops down off a rock, the overhanging part of vehicle then smacks down on rock for quite a rough ride. By moving the axle back, it improves this departure angle having the vehicle more past the rock before the tire/truck drops down. The longer wheel base improves the capabilities in hill climbs and towing also, which is beneficial for the expedition trailer it will occasionally have behind it.

Thanks for all the compliments, I am ecstatic with how this is turning out. To give you an idea of the challenge I have made for my fab guy, bottom tube is 16 ft long with 11 bends all in different planes from one another. Will keep updated with pics later this week.
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese

Work continues

Cesare Pavese

Incredible fab work. Those guys know what they're doing.

Since you mention my fab guy, here is a post he made in my build thread in our other forum with his information linked at the end.

I gotta say, I like to pride myself on my custom tube bending abilities, but this one tube took some extra time and planning to execute properly...

One continuous tube, just over 16' in length, with 11 different bends, and of course they are all in different planes. But I think it turned out well, and should be exactly what the client asked for. Now I just have to match it for the other side...

But if you think that was a brain teaser, just wait to see what is planned for the rest of the exo

Cesare Pavese

a few new pics

Latest pics fresh from Aaron.

Cesare Pavese

Looking like a cage now!

Cesare Pavese

A little update. Aaron is feeling bad about the length of time my cage is taking him. I am fully understanding and am more concerned about his back then him I think sometimes. He picked me up a gift to say thanks for being patient and managed to get it put on truck. Should help next time we head for a rescue operation.

- - - Updated - - -

Cage is almost completely tacked together. Still a lot of burning left to do but the main pieces are in.

Cesare Pavese

Got a few more pictures from Aaron

Cesare Pavese

EXO'lent!

Latest update, been slacking a little but we have a lot going on around here right now.

Cesare Pavese

Work continues on the truck. He took a moment to get shock mounts moved while waiting for some more metal. If all goes well we should be hitting the trails soon. Expect I have 1-2 weekends of maintenance when we get it back and he expects to be complete soon.

Last edited by xaza; 08-19-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Cesare Pavese

unreal. That cage is a work of art!

Truck is officially home! Aaron estimates tubing to be about 400-500 lbs.
    Put together my list last night of issues needing addressed before we take it out.
    1 - Paint tubing, body panels and axles.
    2 - Wire in and install light bar
    3 - Replace worn u-joints and bushings
    4 - Replenish spare parts tote
    5 - Slip yoke eliminator and rear drive shaft
    6 - Top off axles after applying teflon tape to plugs
    7 - Move axle to 2" back, 3" cuts it close to rubbing on the back with no load, while loaded I expect potential issues
    8 - Bed liner cargo area and reinstall interior that is being used
    9 - Grease all zircs
    10 - replace relay and reinstall switch for aux fan
    11 - Diagnose and repair CB issue
    12 - Repair hood latch again
    13 - Check and tighten bolts ; can't forget to tighten meh junk
    Going to get started today on painting, with any luck we can complete that. Going to be very difficult to get some areas of the cage, so I am contemplating a roll on bed liner for it also. Thanks again to Aaron for the fantastic work. I have shown you guys some of the pictures I was sent during this process but not all of them, for the complete 700+ pictures follow this link
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JJcDhEM2U2MkZ3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by xaza; 03-30-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Cesare Pavese

damn, that's some serious flexing!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

thanks, it is pretty nice but not fully flexed...he is saving me that honor. Look at how the coil spring in the front is still firmly placed on the spacer, I have limiter straps that prevent the spring from popping out of the perch but those don't stop it for several more inches

Cesare Pavese

Decided to coat cage and fender armor in bed liner. It added texture and tied into the bumpers very nicely. Truck bed liner went on smooth. Scuffed, prepped and laid down. First time using so it isn't show quality perfect but we mixed with mixer regularly and kept texture fairly even. Had way too much bed liner mixed so did rear cargo hatch also.Will have to get some better pictures tomorrow.

Been busy getting truck ready to go. Got SYE installed with another drive shaft from Bill's Englewood Drive Shaft. Took truck to car wash and it drove good. Had some noise from rear brake but got it resolved.

While setting past several months truck had grown some surface rust. It wasn't washed after last trip out in February. Wire brushed it clean and touched up rubberized undercoating and paint. Truck looks much better now.

My list is getting shorter!
    1 -
    2 - Wire in and install light bar
    3 -
    4 -
    5 -
    7 -
    8 -
    9 -
    10 - replace relay and reinstall switch for aux fan
    11 - Diagnose and repair CB issue
    12 -

Got second coat of bed liner done today with a new hood release cable. Looks like I will have some dirt underneath truck next weekend!
    Last edited by xaza; 03-30-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Cesare Pavese

Nice. My list always seems to get longer!

Got truck out last weekend for a quick run. Had a great trip out and truck did very well. As usual there is a new list now to take things to the next level. Primary issue needing resolved is a cracked exhaust manifold, will likely replace with a JY one until I can get a header. Radius arm still hitting factory lower control arm mount, will need to clean it up more. Coil springs are a little crushed at the top, will be looking to replace them with a more solid spring eventually. Need to replace e brake cables and lower radiator hose. With steering working so much better since Currie upgrade, going to change pitman arm back and see how it drives with things properly aligned again. Still getting noises from y-link, going to pull apart all bushings clean/inspect/grease and replace as needed. Had a last minute oops on Saturday that almost prevented us making it out, had to grind off some bolts for the axle end bolts. New t-bolts should be here this week to get those right. Some movement in leaf spring mount, going to box it in and reinforce it. Thinking about using the Rusty's but welding in instead of bolting and completing it out to fully box it in.
    http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rusty-s...-brackets.html
    Rear doors do not open enough to access back seat anymore, working on something unique to resolve this issue. If we can pull it off it will be extremely sweet. This will take months and some JY doors to pull off so don't expect this to unveil soon.

Here is my favorite shot from yesterday, shows driver side bump stop not doing it's job. Wheel was all up in the wheel well, drive shaft hit radius arm and coil spring over compressed

It does appear we need to relocate limiter straps, new spot restricts droop more than expected, other option is longer strap which might be what we do.

Cesare Pavese

Got a good start done today. Got radius arms dropped and inspected, greased and reinstalled. Found a bent bolt causing radius arms to hit each other on one side and repaired. Got factory control arm mounts cut away better, should prevent another noise. Popped out and pressed in new upper axle bushing. Most important repair of the day was cracked exhaust manifold got replaced with a Banks revolver header. Tried the JY but they were all cracked and didn't want to waste more time driving around trying. Got a couple welds to take care of, emergency brake cables and a few odds and ends to finish up tomorrow.

Cesare Pavese

Managed to get last weeks list done and get truck out to the trails for a wonderful family day. Truck did good, but brake calipers were not releasing making a bit of brake noise. Got the brakes pulled apart and found drivers side caliper wobbling around. Bolts were snugged all the way down. Determined steering knuckle needed to be replaced along with calipers and pads. Ordered steering knuckles to do both sides. Picked up brake rotors and calipers and ordered in my pads, should arrive today and be back together. While looking at passenger side wheel bearing assembly was leaking so went ahead and replaced it with a Moog (3 year warranty). Brother managed to get it all done after work yesterday, I am truly blessed to have such a great brother. When pads arrive just have to load/mount calipers and bleed the brakes.

Cesare Pavese

Had to straighten driver side upper bump stop mount after detonating bump stop from axle not hitting flat. Adjusted axle to sit properly and replaced bump stop bushing last weekend. Pads installed and brakes bled. Might be changing pitman arm length for more ideal steering geometry but truck is an alignment away from another test trip...I think

no more stacking blocks to make jack tall enough to lift truck

Cesare Pavese

I have that Jack beam at home also. Dam nice thing to have. Works good for installing water heaters by your self also...

- - - Updated - - -

As always, I like to see the work you are getting done on this thing. First thought that came to mind on the rear doors were suicide style.

Suicide doors would be pretty sweet but the area that I want open is at the front of the door where it is lowest. I have 2 Rotts that need to be able to get in and out comfortably. My old pup typically needs lifted in so I prefer to lift as little as possible. In the process now of looking for a reasonable parts Jeep to practice my doors on. Figure I will strip it and sell other parts and when I am done figuring out the doors I can scrap it.
    Hmmmm, not sure if I mentioned it here but we added a puppy to our family a few months back. Chief was pretty lonely since we put Mitchell down and has been liking having a new playmate. Meet Max, he was 96 lbs, a year old, not fixed, not current on shots, always locked in a kennel and not house broken Rottweiler. We got him fixed, current on shots and had dew claws removed. He has adjusted well to our home and has completed the first of three training classes working toward Canine Good Citizen and possibly become a therapy dog.

Cesare Pavese

Beautiful pups!

Congrats on the new family member

Now that I'm finally on a set schedule I'm going to be looking for a rescue pup