Thread: "New" 5.9 LX

Cool "New" 5.9 LX

Hi All :0

Here is my first Jeep ever . Immaculate condition in/out, slight hail (who cares ), 117000km on it. So far nothing surprising found, was a bit tough to find ATF+4 around here, for a decent price of course. Castrol LSD 75w140 all round. Little wine was coming out of the back, rear bearing was shot, did replaced both. While there refreshed the clutch packs in the differential (putting back the spacer washers into between the pinion gears was a ).
    Getting used to the sea like driving will take long... time , found a way to counteract that by punching it more .
    10397227_551794631609855_1351755167292625342_o.jpg

Hello... Where are you located? Glad to see you are jumping right in and fixing up what is needed.

Welcome aboard.

Sofia, Bulgaria . I always fix my new rides, especially ones that are new imports (you cant get much history etc.) . Overall I am really impressed with it. Being a long time BMW owner, I had a bit off a mixed feelings regarding american cars (not anymore).
    The Jeep wobble is a bit scary, its a completly different beast from the firm bimmers I have driven so far. There is a compete red poly set on its way, still deciding on the shocks.
    $_12.JPG
    Last edited by bongo78; 10-17-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Bongo, like you I have owned BMW's since 1983 (currently own a pristine '03 e39 530i) and Jeeps since 1986... There is no question that for the long trips (like when I used to hop into my 320i, drive ten hours to Chicago and immediately go into a customer site for a few hours) the BMW is King, but as you get older and softer you find the ZJ's to be a nice ride, too, not just because the view around you is better, but also since they have decent coffee cup holders. My '97 4.0 ZJ with RWD actually feels as light and nimble on the highway as the old 320i did... when you shed all that excess weight of a live front axle and transfer case it really changes the feel and handling of a ZJ, in fact I would go anywhere to find a 5.2 version, but they are very rare.
    BMWsig2.JPG
    '96 5.2 LTD, '97 4.0 LTD RWD, '98 5.9 LTD
    All are stock since new except for "old timer", post delivery longevity improvements.
    "The quality goes in, before the sticker comes off."

The gold standard for shocks are Bilstiens. Pricey but supposedly best rides.

Bilstiens are good, but harsh imo . I was thinking of something more settle like Monroe sensa-trak which are readily available around here, and for a good price too. I want to put new springs as well, they tend to get worn with time and you cant really feel that unless you put new ones . Unfortunately in Europe the choice of standard height springs is very limited. HR are available, but I am not sure that I want to lower the Jeep. Lift springs are more common, but in my mind lifting does not equal stability (might be wrong here).

I run the sensa-tracks in all my Jeeps, nice ride and long life. The only thing I do is clean them off and put on two coats of good quality enamel before installation.
    '96 5.2 LTD, '97 4.0 LTD RWD, '98 5.9 LTD
    All are stock since new except for "old timer", post delivery longevity improvements.
    "The quality goes in, before the sticker comes off."