New to Me 9'er.....

Thought I'd pop in and say hi. I picked up a new to me 9'er on Monday. I drove 5 hours to Knoxville, TN to get it. I'm not new to Jeeps as I've got a WJ as well now and have had a WK and 2 XJ's.

For now the 9'er is staying stock other than swapping out the 249 t-case for a 242. In the near future it will get upgraded.

Welcome to the crazy house!

Hell fire, was it the Slate one? I live in Knoxville and had just sent that link to someone to look at. LOL. Welcome aboard.

Yup. I'm pretty sure you don't want to know what I paid for it. It is in what I'd call pristine condition for a '98 vehicle. The only issues I've found is the headliner, VC (replacing 249 with a 242), and the hood vents need repainted. Other than that it is great. It has brand new Michelin tires on it to boot.

Pics or it didn't happen. (I think x10radsponge sent me the link to pass on to my friend, but by the time I clicked on the link, it was already yours!)

Yea, I was on shift Sunday when I found it. I talked to the guy for about an hour on it. He sent me video and pictures of it. I left as soon as I got off Monday morning to go get it.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

Here are the pictures I took today. The only thing I've done since I've had it was tint the front door windows and swapped the bad 249 for a good 242 transfer case.

How does it drive now? What donor was the case from? I am thinking of getting one to have just in case. <---pun. Looks super clean.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    How does it drive now? What donor was the case from? I am thinking of getting one to have just in case. <---pun. Looks super clean.
    It drives a lot better IMO. It was from a '98 Laredo 4.0. The 242 also came behind some 5.2's so it is strong enough.

It has some nicks and scratches, but most will buff out according to the local Jeep dealer's body shop. I've ordered some touchup paint to get the 2 spots on the hood that the paint is gone. The interior is super nice, minus the head liner. Its getting a new one in the next 2 weeks. I went today to have the liner matched to the factory one.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome young'n

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
    .... It was from a '98 Laredo 4.0. The 242 also came behind some 5.2's so it is strong enough. ....
    I thought the V8s only came with 249s? (edit, lol)

Although, I seem to remember a while back someone saying a relative definitely got one new, an early 5.2 with a 242. Maybe special ordered or something?
    Last edited by Z88Z; 10-08-2014 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I thought the V8s only came with 249s? (edit, lol)

Although, I seem to remember a while back someone saying a relative definitely got one new, an early 5.2 with a 242. Maybe special ordered or something?
    The one I got came from a '98 5.2. I don't know. It was a completely stock Jeep so I assume it wasn't swapped in. From what research I've done on it, there are others who have had them in a 5.2 ZJ that they bought new.

It was an option.....
    Resident speeding ticket whore

If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one.

Quote Originally Posted by mjonesjr84 View Post
    The one I got came from a '98 5.2. I don't know. It was a completely stock Jeep so I assume it wasn't swapped in. From what research I've done on it, there are others who have had them in a 5.2 ZJ that they bought new.
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy63b View Post
    It was an option.....
    Wow, did not know that.

I heard of it from that one person, but I thought it was more of an anomaly. Where they available on all years and models?

I wonder why so few people chose them? This is only about the second time I've heard of one.

Makes me wonder if there were ever any factory 242 niners