Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    How is your trans temp gauge set up? I just bought an Autometer Ultralite and I'm not sure if it's going to be easier to put a bung in the pan or run one of the adapters to run it off the return line for my cooler.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

UPGRADE to a B&M Alum finned tranny pan and you will have a place to screw in a temp sensor.... This is what I am running on my autometer NV Tranny Temp gauge.... works perfect! and provides better mounting surface to the 46RE and cooling. I always had issues with the stock pan leaking.
    Rarely Active, in case you are looking for me on here.....
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

what about some kind of oil thermostat, that bypasses the cooler until a certain temp?
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Quote Originally Posted by Saleen4971 View Post
    what about some kind of oil thermostat, that bypasses the cooler until a certain temp?
    Not a bad idear!.... Here's one.
    http://www.holley.com/501ERL.asp

or this one...
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9_Racer View Post
    UPGRADE to a B&M Alum finned tranny pan and you will have a place to screw in a temp sensor.... This is what I am running on my autometer NV Tranny Temp gauge.... works perfect! and provides better mounting surface to the 46RE and cooling. I always had issues with the stock pan leaking.
    How much did the pan run? I don't want to turn this into a $300 trans temp gauge project haha.
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10280/

$129 bucks... requires a few min with an angle grinder to remove some of the inside fins, fits like a glove!.. has all the hardware you need.... just think, nice machined alum mounting surface mated to another nice machined tranny surface! Couldn't ask for anything better!... unless you throw a few-5 coats of ceramic paint on it and bake it in the oven...?!!!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10280/

$129 bucks... requires a few min with an angle grinder to remove some of the inside fins, fits like a glove!.. has all the hardware you need.... just think, nice machined alum mounting surface mated to another nice machined tranny surface! Couldn't ask for anything better!... unless you throw a few-5 coats of ceramic paint on it and bake it in the oven...?!!!
    Did this add 4qts of capacity to your 46RE?
    -Dave

it does add a little more, I am not sure how much more since I always drain completely. I think maybe you will have 2 - 3 more quarts added.... which has probably helped spare my tranny on the over-temp conditions I have experienced

it does add a little more, I am not sure how much more since I always drain completely. I think maybe you will have 2 - 3 more quarts added.... which has probably helped spare my tranny on the over-temp conditions I have experienced
    Gotcha. My dilemma is that I want to get the filter changed and the bands adjusted at the dealer. I have no problem pulling the pan myself, but I have no desire to F up something involving the bands. I do have a FSM, but no torque wrench and no experience in this area.

If I went the custom pan route, I'd have to drop the pan again to swap it and install the gauge, which doesn't seem logical after I get the bands adjusted and filter changed, as I'm going to be wasting fresh fluid.

Anyone in the Boston area want to help me out? I have no problem paying in beer haha.
    -Dave

there is really only 2 bands you can get to with the pan and valve body removed.... and if yeah haven't messed with that before... all I can say is MESSY MESSY. Besides a coolant flush, this is probably the messiest job on the jeep... at least until you get a pan with a drain plug in it, then it becomes a lot less messier.

A torque wrench is also important for installation else you will over crimp the gasket.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayQWXlRDW_c[/ame]

Fast forward to 4:00 minutes. Shows the trans cooler being installed in the radiator. Actually an interesting watch.

I have went back and forth about the cooler in the radiator. I run a big power steering cooler, a big trans cooler and a big oil cooler. All with a 4k cfm fan. I still get good airflow though all of that but when I factor in the winch, the bumper and all of the lights I worry airflow is down. I wonder if the trans cooler in front is necessary at all, but have yet to take it off and check my temps.

Quote Originally Posted by mdemco View Post

Fast forward to 4:00 minutes. Shows the trans cooler being installed in the radiator. Actually an interesting watch.

I have went back and forth about the cooler in the radiator. I run a big power steering cooler, a big trans cooler and a big oil cooler. All with a 4k cfm fan. I still get good airflow though all of that but when I factor in the winch, the bumper and all of the lights I worry airflow is down. I wonder if the trans cooler in front is necessary at all, but have yet to take it off and check my temps.
    How about this option??.... Bypass the transmission to the radiator.. just plumb Trans to the new kooler. Then route your return line from the P/S Gearbox into the old Trans/Radiator ports.... and back to the P/S, now you have a P/S kooler... Do you think the P/S fluid would be cool enough going that route?.... Just a thought....

absolutely remove the check-valve! it causes nothign but problems.

although i dont agree with bypassing the rad section - it helps the trans heat up faster, and having a few rows in the trans open could lead to premature failure
    I pulled this quote from the first page, but Saleen, are you saying do not use that EARLS check valve?... just straight lines from the tranny to through the kooler? Or are you referring to removing the stock check valve? I assume there is a stock one?.. I haven't checked/looked to see if there is....

If my auction goes through, I will have a B&M kooler with Fan to mount under the mid cabin area... then will run -6AN lines to it... My temp sensor will remain on my B&M sump... I like having it there VS the kooler since the Sump will have the hottest reading (being that it is connected to the tranny and getting direct heat).

stock check valve - prone to sticking and frying your trans.

your gonan do a daryll-esque setup?
    Ross
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I just won my auction so will be using this setup...
    I will have have to purchase a few more -6AN fittings and a little more braided SS hose and that EARLs check valve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

That looks better than I thought man. Mounting ideas begin this weekend!

stock check valve - prone to sticking and frying your trans.

your gonan do a daryll-esque setup?
    Where is the stock check valve?
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

Well for the deal I got it for on eBay ($99) NEW vs ($203) NEW from Summit... it was a steal!!!!!

Compared to the one on the first page.... Just a tad larger which I will need for my tranny since I have seen extremely high temps... It is nice to know what the other kooler was seeing too.. so I know I am safe on this choice, plus it already has a fan.

41906ERL
    • Fluid Cooler
    • Plate Type
    • Aluminum
    • 13in x 5.875 in. x 2 in.
    • -6 AN Inlet, Outlet, Each

• Oil Cooler
    • Plate Type
    • Aluminum
    • 13.5 in. x 9 in. x 3.5 in. - Cooler
    • 9.5 in. - Fan
    • 175 Degree Thermostat
    • 1/2 in. NPT Female, Kit

As for mounting location... I am wanting to put this on the driver's side under the rear seat area of the jeep sitting at a forward angle to catch some wind. Haven't decided which side the fan should be facing?... Maybe downward to shield any possible rocks/debris. Then will run -6AN lines to the kooler with that EARL's check valve on the INLET side.

Then will run -6AN lines to the kooler with that EARL's check valve on the INLET side.
    Skip the check valve.

I removed my stock one to eliminate the possibility of it clogging and have absolutely no driveability issues at all.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

only thing with removing the check valve.. do not shift into drive the instant you start up... the torque converter will need a few seconds to fill with fluid. Check valve stops fluid from coming out of it...

From my previous tranny cooler install I did on my old 5.9...

I had no driveability issues with this at all

the converter doesnt fill in park for us. RND21 only
    Ross

on startup... after sitting all night... the truck won't move until it gets some fluid in it... the check valve retains fluid from shut off is all I was getting at....

Quote Originally Posted by limited360 View Post
    on startup... after sitting all night... the truck won't move until it gets some fluid in it... the check valve retains fluid from shut off is all I was getting at....
    Ya i pulled the valve on mine and i have to put the jeep in N and basically by the time i reach down and put my seat belt on its ready.. takes like 2 seconds.. i really like that idea of under the jeep you could mount the filter and everything back there i would prob get some sort of sheet metal cover made for it as im sure rocks would hit it.. there is so much space just behind the Transfercase
    2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX-4 Hemi, 407lb Tq 390+Hp, Navigation, Back up cam.
    '79 Hydrostream Vector w/ 150HP Mercury Black Max outboard.
    '07 Acura Tsx Navi, Back up cam, Projector headlamps
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

the converter doesnt fill in park for us. RND21 only
    This is also why when you flat tow you leave the rig in P and put the case in Neutral..
    2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX-4 Hemi, 407lb Tq 390+Hp, Navigation, Back up cam.
    '79 Hydrostream Vector w/ 150HP Mercury Black Max outboard.
    '07 Acura Tsx Navi, Back up cam, Projector headlamps
    '98 <TRADED> 5.9 ZJ 14.77 1/4 mile ,3in FM 40 series, HF Cat,E-Cut-out, Mx6 shocks,20x8.5 Cobra R's 255/45/20 Yokohamas, 5% limo tint,Addco 1.25" military bar front, Hellwig 7/8th bar rear, Regeared to 4.10's, 13" C6 Corvette Brake Kit with Dual piston caliper, Wj Control Arms, Doug Thorley headers, 52mm TB, K&N Intake, boxed rear control arms with prothane bushings, Prothane trans mount, Martin Saines custom trans, Aux trans filter, B&M trans cooler, 242 Case swap, SCT Tuner Via hemifever, JL w6v2 sub, JL speakers, Kenwood amp,8 inch indash dvd

Oddly, with my check valve removed, I have not noticed any delay when I put the jeep in drive or reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepkid View Post
    This is also why when you flat tow you leave the rig in P and put the case in Neutral..
    and hope it doesn't come out of neutral while you are going down the road!

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Oddly, with my check valve removed, I have not noticed any delay when I put the jeep in drive or reverse.

and hope it doesn't come out of neutral while you are going down the road!
    yeah.. .that would cause some issues.... I get the hebbie-jeebies just thinking about it.