ZJ Recently picked up a modded 97 ZJ 5.2L - Need advise on tuning if possible

Man I'm glad I found this forum.

ISSUE: After replacing battery, the engine will die when putting in reverse or drive, or when I come to a stop - even after reflashing with the SCT tuner.

MODS:
    - Comp Cam 210x
    - Hughes valve springs, retainers, keepers
    - 52mm bored throttle body
    - SCT Tuner with custom programming by Sean Powell with Hemifever
    - CAI
    - Mopar MSD 6AL ignition box with blaster SS Coil
    - Headers and full exhaust

WHAT I'VE TRIED:
    1) One mechanic said it was a vacuum leak and needed a new intake manifold gasket. So, I replaced that and the plenum gasket
    2) New IAC and TPS
    3) New spark plugs, rotor and cap

The SCT Tune has 3 settings: 87 Octane cam, 89 Octane cam, and 91 octane cam.

I currently have 91 octane gas in, but the only tune that will allow me to drive it briefly is the 87 Octane cam.

Any recommended help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to have this thing running again!
    Last edited by haus_zj; 09-27-2014 at 05:43 PM.

I bet it would probably run like shit but what happens when on stock calibration?
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 09-28-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

If you hold the throttle (power braking) just a bit when going into gear/coming to a stop, will it eventually idle properly on its own as you slowly let off?

Quote Originally Posted by csouers View Post
    If you hold the throttle (power braking) just a bit when going into gear/coming to a stop, will it eventually idle properly on its own as you slowly let off?
    Yes - It will recover sometimes. So when I slow down, the RPM will drop to 100-200rpm, but if it doesn't die, it just jump back up to around 700rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    I bet it would probably run like shit but what happens when on stock calibration?
    You are correct. It ran very rough when I reflashed it to stock.

I didn't use any RTV gasket when installing the new intake manifold gasket. I'm wondering if there is still a leak in the gasket?
    Last edited by haus_zj; 09-28-2014 at 04:15 PM.

A little more info: I'm throwing P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction.

Could the aftermarket ignition coil be causing this? I wouldn't think so, since both mechanics I've seen stated it is a vacuum leak.

Crank sensor.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by haus_zj View Post
    A little more info: I'm throwing P0351 Ignition Coil A Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction...

That's a "soft" code right - as in, it doesn't light the CEL?

Trying to remember but if it is the soft code, I believe that's the one that every ZJ with the MSD6AL gets. It's basically meaningless - just something about how the PCM can't see the feedback it's expecting. I think there's a jumper or some minor re-wire you can do to get rid of it but most people don't even bother.

For me that code had a CEL and was cranks sensor. That code can come from crank and cam sensors as well as coil
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

No CEL for me.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the MAP sensor?

My wife was having the same issue with her 01 WJ. Turned out the transmission solenoid wasn't releasing the TC lockup causing it to die when it slowed the engine too much. It was an intermittant thing and would only die a few times in a day. IIRC we also replaced the crank sensor.
    We do not remember days, we remember moments.

Cesare Pavese