Thread: Yellowjacket!

Yellowjacket!

93 ZJ 5.9/44RE/249/D44A

Pretty much stock except for the K&N, Kolak catback and the usual ignig kit.

A bit of a custom build, you might notice some differences in the wiring between this and your average stock 5.9

Body isn't quite done. I'll have to add more pics later.

I was going to go into more detail here but I think I'll post the build details in a different thread in the Projects section.

Interior

Jeeeeeeeesus... Looks good. Now step away from the spray paint before you start to get carried away.

That engine bay is tidy, sir.

So I guess rear mount with battery?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    Jeeeeeeeesus... Looks good. Now step away from the spray paint before you start to get carried away....
    "Start to get carried away?"

I think I'm a little beyond starting....

Quote Originally Posted by foo.c View Post
    That engine bay is tidy, sir.
    Thank you kind sir.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    So I guess rear mount with battery?
    Yes sir.

Out back - along with the windshield washer reservoir

The res is out back and functional but it's not permanently mounted yet. Gotta do some other stuff before I put the cargo area back together.

The main goal here was to give it the old school musclecar look where you'd open the hood and see mostly motor.

I've been around these things for a while and one part I didn't like was the lack of "depth" when you open the hood. Lots of stuff up top that detracts from seeing the motor itself.

BTW, even though it looks pretty open the only things that were actually deleted on this ZJ were cruise and EVAP....

Like I said, I'm going to start a second thread under projects to show all the detail that went into the build and the assemblies...

In the meantime - take a good look at the wiring and compare it to your own ZJ.

Look at all the stuff that's not there

Check out the right front corner by the PDC, and look at the valley between the left side valve cover and the intake.

John this is an amazing project. Thanks for the trip down memory lane to the days when I could stand in the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    In the meantime - take a good look at the wiring and compare it to your own ZJ.

Look at all the stuff that's not there

Check out the right front corner by the PDC, and look at the valley between the left side valve cover and the intake.
    Yeah that's a lot of room. The M1 wire and hose tuck was enough for me. That's just too much effort and looks too good. Not quite ratty enough for my style haha.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    John this is an amazing project. Thanks for the trip down memory lane to the days when I could stand in the engine bay.

Thanks Tony - that's really what I was going for.

Ya I remember sitting on the inner fenders or radiator brace on my old Mopars. Plenty of room! Although on this one it's mostly a visual thing.

These were just some quick pics I grabbed. Will have to get some better ones in daylight or whatever.

Viewed looking mostly down like this the blackness of the exhaust manifolds throws off the "look" in these pics but with all the yellow when you look at it from the side you really can see the whole motor and body.

That's part of the reason I went with such a bright color. I notice the stock ZJs tend to swallow the light and you can't see much down low.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Yeah that's a lot of room. The M1 wire and hose tuck was enough for me. That's just too much effort and looks too good. Not quite ratty enough for my style haha.

I probably have a hundred hours into that harness. You might have seen the pics of it laid out on my kitchen table in my Borrowed Time thread.

I basically just did the motor/trans harness and the front body harness. I was partway through it when I found out about the VIC delete cubby so between that and running out of time I didn't do much with the interior wiring, just added two that go back for the washer res and it's level sensor. (local grounding)
    If I did the VIC delete I could have lost a ton more wires. That and rear wiper delete and I would have gotten rid of quite a few.

I don't know if I'll ever get into a project quite that big again - but when I do...

Should have gone with more local grounds for a lot of the components, and if I went with a 5spd (which this drivetrain is eventually slated for) I would have even less wiring in that engine harness.

I think the part I'm happiest with is the Efan wiring. Notice it's mostly not there? LOL

It was all incorporated into the main harness, so the only visible part besides the upper hose sensor is the wire coming out of the PDC to the two relays and down to the Efan and bottom switch. I used one of the regular PDC relays added into the PDC to replace the Ignition Relay (the relay that's actually responsible for switch between the high and low speeds) and I added a second relay to take the place of that switch on the AC discharge line. When the AC system is charged that new relay should function exactly like that line switch and turn the low Efan on when the AC comes on.

The other thing I've noticed about this ZJ is it's freakishly fast compared to other stock 5.9s I've had.

It's hard to explain. I don't think it's faster than a 'built' ZJ but the power band seems to be just "right there" at any speed I'm driving at. I'm pretty happy about that, LOL
    I also have no idea what PCM is in it as it had no label on it! It could possibly be a CALI MP PCM but I really doubt it since the parts ZJ didn't seem to have any of the common mods on it.

I'm still working on the actual build thread.

In the mean time, here's pics of some of the detail work on this 93.

Freakn' WOW!!!!!!

You, sir, are insane. Two-tone valve covers. Painted hose clamps. Yellow shifter linkages. Painted tranny hump... where the sun don't shine! The only things not painted yellow are the reservoir caps and the Accel coil... because they were born that way!

I didn't see a photo of the Bilstein 4600 yellow shocks, but they must be there. If not, there's a guy on ebay who sells them for $58 each... mine are on the way.

I believe it was MexiJeeper that told me I was crazy, and would fit right in here after my first post... I didn't realize he was speaking literally!

My friend told me I had completely lost it when I told him I was putting a blower in my 5.9. I figured he just doesn't understand because he's a typical Seattle liberal, or he's mad because even my old 5.2 was faster than his hoity toity X5 turbo. It makes perfect sense to me... I mean, it doesn't have enough power to blow off all 4 tires at once, so there's room for improvement. And, how could I not?
    But maybe he's right. I mean, if you're crazy you can't know you are, right? Because if you knew what you were doing was crazy you'd be sane.

So I've joined the nut farm... and I'm good with that.

Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    You, sir, are insane. Two-tone valve covers. Painted hose clamps. Yellow shifter linkages. Painted tranny hump... where the sun don't shine! The only things not painted yellow are the reservoir caps and the Accel coil... because they were born that way!

I didn't see a photo of the Bilstein 4600 yellow shocks, but they must be there. If not, there's a guy on ebay who sells them for $58 each... mine are on the way.

I believe it was MexiJeeper that told me I was crazy, and would fit right in here after my first post... I didn't realize he was speaking literally!

My friend told me I had completely lost it when I told him I was putting a blower in my 5.9. I figured he just doesn't understand because he's a typical Seattle liberal, or he's mad because even my old 5.2 was faster than his hoity toity X5 turbo. It makes perfect sense to me... I mean, it doesn't have enough power to blow off all 4 tires at once, so there's room for improvement. And, how could I not?
    But maybe he's right. I mean, if you're crazy you can't know you are, right? Because if you knew what you were doing was crazy you'd be sane.

So I've joined the nut farm... and I'm good with that.
    That's some funny and true $hit you be sayn' carlmon! I wasn't kidding. Take a look at my punch list at the bottom of the page here and tell me I'm sane:

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...lodated/page24

I can't do that Mexi. My mother taught me never to lie!

10 vent louvers!? I actually thought of doing that to mine, but I was only going to do 8 or 9. I might still do it after my supercharger is in to vent the extra heat... that's my excuse anyway.

John, check out the yellow and black covers on this page.... http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    John, check out the yellow and black covers on this page.... http://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/
    Wow Kevin that is freakin awesome! She does some incredible stuff.

I'm in love with those black and yellow VCs, and in fact I was planning on doing that with mine - but backwards!

Looking at my pics I feel like my VCs make that area just too big and black especially when combined with the black exhaust manifolds.

I was going to do them yellow with the top ribs black, but once I got the new(er) stone white with the cast Jeep VCs I was thinking of stealing them for YellowJacket. I might have to send them out to Leanna!

II don't frequent these forums like iused to. So ican't believe iI didn't see this. It looks good, you have allot of time and effort in this.
    Big ASS supercharged 4.7L HO, cammed, Custom Made Supercharger COG drive system, 72mm F&B throttle body, ROSS ceramic coated pistons, Billet H beam rods, 1st set of race prepped big valves heads W/ behive springs, Custom one off sheet metal intake, Modified Edelbrock Mustang intake elbow, ATI super dampner, 3,000 Edge racing billet stall converter, meth injected, SCT tuned, 39# injectors, 2 bar map, Turbo Smart Race Port BOV, 180* T stat, True dual exhuast, Built tranny W/ deep trans pan, built transfer case, 275 60 R17 rubber.

Thanks Richie!

ya WAY too many hours into this one. If I'd kept it simple all my other ZJs would be done by now! LOL

Very nice job.