Plaguewalker

Greetings from Asheville N.C.

Hello everyone! My name is Michael. I currently live in Asheville N.C. "originally from Atlanta Georgia", am a full time student, as well as working full time in quality assurance for Plasticard Locktech International. I just bought a platinum 5.9 yesterday, but have owned a white '94 5.2L Grand Cherokee Limited since 1998.

My '94 has been one of the best automobiles I have ever owned. I just passed the 220,000 mile mark in it, and it still runs as good as it did 170,000 miles and sixteen years ago. Sure, I've had to do a few small repairs to it: viscous coupling, starter, alternator, radiator... That's it! After all those miles, just regular maintenance and those four repairs. So, when a friend came to me and told me that he knew someone with a 5.9 for sale, for really cheap, I was on it.

My friend wasn't mistaken, I got the 5.9 for a very reasonable price, though it is in need of a good deal of tlc. Recent repairs/upgrades the former owner performed are: plenum gasket replacement, high flow cat, power steering pump, K&N CAI, A-pillar gauges. There are a few trouble areas that will require immediate attention.

1. Transmission will shift into reverse, but will not actually start moving unless the accelerator is pressed and held for around 7-8 seconds. The vehicle starts slowly moving, then feels as if it completely engages in reverse, and starts backing up as it normally should. I am not really an automatic transmission guy, so I am not sure the cause of this. Some valve body issue maybe? Transmission functions great in forward automatic, very firm shifts, almost feels like it has a shift kit installed

2. The front drive shaft is removed. This leads me to believe the VC is bad, or at the very least is going bad. The previous owner said he dropped the shaft because the rubber boot on the shaft was split, which it is. I will have to wait till I can get proper bolts for both ends of the shaft, being as the originals are "lost".

3. Previous owner side swiped something on drivers side of vehicle. While the damages are wholly cosmetic, and have been touched up with paint, I will want to replace both driver side doors and the front bumper cover.

Everything else seems to be in great shape. Interior is clean, all lights and gauges work. Though the heated seats may not be working properly, I couldn't feel it, but it was really hot today. Engine runs smooth and has plenty of power. My first time in the vehicle I left 20' posi black marks in the street in front of my house. I am really looking forward to returning this 5.9 to its former glory and then some, and I am really glad to have stumbled on to this forum. I am sure I will be spending a lot of time in the coming months here consuming all of you guys' knowledge. ~Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome aboard Michael, you've come to the right place. There are an untold number of enthusiasts here to assist you in spending all your money.

yep.... unfortunately no bank rollers or finance guys though. But welcome and lets have some fun.

welcome aboard!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Welcome to thespeedfreaks!

Nice pair of ZJs. I like the early/late mix too. I got a 93 and 98s

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Welcome! Same color niner as me! I am going through giving mine some loving as well. Lots of miles means lots of love I am finding out!
    - Sandy

Plaguewalker
    Thanks for the welcome guys! Great site you guys have here, big thanks to everyone for sharing so much valuable experience and information.