Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I believe the 5.2 seats are stitched completely different. Seats are unique to the 5.9.
    1998 Jeep 5.9- Slate Black

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepjeepster View Post
    After thinking some, typically those center sections are fake leather. Where you butt goes is real. The backs of the seats are usually fake too.

I always hoped it was all real in the 5.9, so Im sticking with that. Only the premium baby calves in my 5.9.
    I believe the 5.2 seats are stitched completely different. Seats are unique to the 5.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
    I was always under the impression that standard limiteds = pleather and 5.9s = real leather. Alteast it smells that way...
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Yea - posts I have read say leather all the way around. So either my leather have defective areas, or maybe the rears (where your butt goes) are from a 5.2? I have the arm rest section, so I am assuming that's a "5.9 thing". Haven't tackled the front seats yet...

I'd say all of the above is correct.

ya there's no confusing the two types of seats. Different pattern and 'look' as said above. Yours are definitely niner seats BC. See pix at bottom.

On the 5.2 seats I believe it's just the butt and back center section in the middle that's real leather, or possibly the bolster areas beside the center section too (but not the fronts, sides, backs, and all that) These 5.2 seats started to get a touch of mildew and it was noticeably only on the leather center sections and none on the side sections.

Ya, ours are supposed to be calf skin I guess, but unfortunately the "higher quality" of it's suppleness is just that and doesn't translate into better durability. Plus Jeep may even have used a lesser quality cut of calfskin in that area, so the flaking isn't that surprising

til: Chris sniffs seats
    Last edited by Z88Z; 06-14-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Coated all of my seats with meguiars conditioner with aloe this morning. I bought some new leather sealant but Ive not tried it yet. Shes sitting out in the 90F heat baking the conditioner in. Been a good 2 months since shes been out of the garage.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Took advantage of the sunny day out. Got the B&M pan on with OEM Mopar filter and gasket. Had to add 8-qts of ATF+4 to get it in the cross-hatched "OK" zone on the dip stick. This is with it warmed up, on level ground, going through all the gears, then in neutral. No issues with clearance on DT headers. Will run the gauge wiring later...it got a bit warm out.

B&M P/N: 10280
    Mopar Trans Pan Gasket P/N: 2464324AC
    Mopar Auto Trans Filter (Combo deal off eBay) P/N: 52118789
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 06-16-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    - Sandy

sexy

Looks amazing. Guess Ill be spending more money now, thanks.

Im surprised the DT headers are so rusty. Figured the SS would hold up better than that. Did you install them yourself? I like the band clamps but I always thought they clamped on both the small and large portion of the pipe?

Was the bung already in the pan for the sensor? what sensor and gauge did you get?

.... I like the band clamps .....

"...and this one time, I was at band clamp...."

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Looks amazing. Guess Ill be spending more money now, thanks.

Im surprised the DT headers are so rusty. Figured the SS would hold up better than that. Did you install them yourself? I like the band clamps but I always thought they clamped on both the small and large portion of the pipe?

Was the bung already in the pan for the sensor? what sensor and gauge did you get?
    The rust on the DT looks to be surface rust. They were on the Jeep when I bought it, so I am not aware of the install.

As for the pan all holes were existing (drain and sensor). They are both threaded not a bung. I went with the whole B&M gauge kit since it would have the correct thread pitch for the sensor to install in the pan. IIRC, it is 1/8 NPT for the sensor. The gauge kit comes with adapters in case you wanted another gauge.

B&M P/N: 80212
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 06-18-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    - Sandy

Josh bought the headers second hand, so they might be pretty old.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Yea - could be difference of material as well since I know Josh fabbed the rear exhaust portion for this. The actual headers still look super clean not rusty. Not sure if this bend around the pan may be fabbed/custom? Maybe I will try to clean them with a brillo pad or something harsh once I get the other issues fixed.
    - Sandy

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Just ordered these tonight. Should be a fun install...

Energy Suspension P/N: 2.3103G Front Control Arm Bushing

Also starting to consider my color theme. I am between purple and orange. This would apply to accent pieces all over the Heep. So valve covers, diff covers, d-rings, etc.
    - Sandy

The install of those bushings will be super easy. May have to burn the old ones out though, I've never had any luck pressing old bushings out
    97 5.2L Limited - sorta stock

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    I watched a few YouTube vids. The theory seems to be to heat up the center/metal so that it melts the rubber surrounding it and breaks the seal. It may take more time but will save me a lot of energy smacking the crap out of it with a hammer.
    http://youtu.be/dqo43St5fu0
    - Sandy

When I did mine I got new arms with the bushings already in place. It really doesn't cost that much more and saves a ton of work. I wonder if someone sells arms without the bushings? That would be worth it to me if I was doing this.

This is probably old news to you, but freezing interference fit bearings/bushings makes installation much easier. So does lubing the crap out of them. Tanner said the Energy suspension kit didn't come with nearly enough grease, so buy extra.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Quote Originally Posted by foo.c View Post
    When I did mine I got new arms with the bushings already in place. It really doesn't cost that much more and saves a ton of work. I wonder if someone sells arms without the bushings? That would be worth it to me if I was doing this.
    Good call on getting a second set of arms. Currently watching a used set on eBay. Wouldn't feel right buying brand spanking new and ripping out good bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    Tanner said the Energy suspension kit didn't come with nearly enough grease, so buy extra.
    I figured as much. I have poly bushings in all my vehicles. I make sure to keep stock in Molykote. The freezer method I have used when I did the freeze plugs on my old 4.0L. Will keep it in mind when I attempt these. Will just have to also remember to do one art at a time with the wheels on the ground as not to mess up my alignment too bad.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 06-19-2014 at 02:54 PM.
    - Sandy

Which molykote are you using? Ive been using the 111, seems to work good.
    Last edited by Jeepjeepster; 06-19-2014 at 03:34 PM.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ Bingo!

Mechanic friend of mine turned me onto the stuff. Doesn't ruin the bushings and keeps them pretty well coated. I check on them every track season.
    - Sandy

Thats it! Stuff is supper thick. I found it for $9 shipped on ebay, wish I would've bought two but the one should last awhile.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Installing the gauge sometime this weekend.

I am very OCD about wiring so it takes me a bit...

I also got these delivered today -

...and just because I found this hilarious
    - Sandy

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Sooooo everything was going great. I tested the functionality of the gauge before getting power to the bulb and mounting it. I ran the sensor wire up through the tcase shifter.

Then this happened...

D'OH! Cheap azz bulb and bulb base. Hoping it's a 74 since I just ordered a replacement LED...
    - Sandy

Heat all around the cups until the old bushing start to sizzle then tap with hammer. They slide right out. Wear eye protection as it will splatter a little. I froze the other ones a day early then heated and cleaned the old ones and once they were just cool enough to the touch slipped the new ones in. Super fast and easy. Only unbolt one arm at a time or you gonna have a bad day.
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 06-22-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    .... Will just have to also remember to do one art at a time with the wheels on the ground as not to mess up my alignment too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    .... Wear eye protection as it will splatter a little. ...

Only unbolt one arm at a time or you gonna have a bad day.

There's not too much alignment to mess up on these as far as the CAs. Just get that front bottom CA adjuster back in the same place.

I raised the Jeep but left my tire just contacting the ground enough that I could turn it to provided some leverage for lining up the bolts

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Welp, I was able to pick up a spare set of LCA's off eBay for cheap. I will be able to burn/pound them out and put the poly ones in then just swap them out.

On another note, I also have a nice oil stream that is ending up on the bottom of the starter plate and dripping on the exhaust. I checked the oil pressure sending unit and it's clean. I am hoping it's the valve cover seals as I am told the oil pan gasket is a hefty job. I know Josh (1nstyzj) replaced the RMS so I am hoping it's NOT that.
    - Sandy

Gonna sell your old ones for cheap?