Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    sfn's lonely vajay jay

BoostinChick's 5.Niner

As some of you may know, I purchased 1nstyzj's 5.9 he had for sale. The price was too good to pass up. So far I have been troubleshooting what seem to be common issues, but here are some pics of me!

Engine:

• Relocated IAT Sensor
    • 52mm Throttle Body
    • PnP Kegger w/ Aluminum Plate
    • Bosch 703 Injectors
    • DUI Cap & Rotor [P/N# DUI-35200]
    • Summit Racing 8mm Spark Plug Wires [P/N# SUM-867815]
    • Autolite 1-Step Colder Spark Plugs [P/N# 3923]

Exhaust:

• Thorley Headers [P/N# THY-630Y-C]
    • Flowmaster 40-Series Muffler [P/N# FLO-942441]
    • Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat [P/N# 59559]

Transmission:

• B&M Transmission Pan [P/N# 10280]

Brakes/Diff:

• G2 D30 Aluminum Diff Cover [P/N# 402031AL]

Suspension | Steering:

• Bilstein Shocks from the Up Country Package
    • Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushing [P/N#2.3103G]
    • Boxed Lower Control Arms
    • ADDCO 1-1/8" 543 Front Swaybar
    • Hotchkis Billet Swaybar Mounts
    • Red-Head Steering Gears REMAN Steering Box
    • Billet Power Steering Pump Bracket
    • Mountain Vista Fabrications Steering Box Brace

Interior:

• Auto Meter Steering Column Pod [P/N# 15012]
    • GlowShift MaxTow Transmission Temp. Gauge [P/N# MT-DV12]

Exterior:

• Stock Ultrastars
    • Mickey Thompson Baja STZ Tires 235/70/16
    • KOR Radiator Support
    • Retrofitted Clear Headlights w/ Morimoto Stage III D2s X-lens (All from TRS) 5k 35w HID's

Cleaning her up...

Apparently someone didn't like the niner...got out what I could. Will have to follow up with a polishing wheel. The squiggly scratches went all the way up to the passenger fender.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 03-22-2015 at 07:59 PM.
    - Sandy

Bahaha that first picture. What did you do for scratch treatment?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Basic compound called Ardex 1500 Plus and some elbow grease. Then followed up with some Zaino to polish it up a bit. Got out most of it, but the deeper scratches will require the wheel. And I figured this crowd would enjoy the 1st picture
    - Sandy

SCT Tuning Guru
    let me know if you'd be interested in doing some cleanup beyond that sticker.
    Always outmanned...Never outgunned

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ Definitely will!
    - Sandy

That first pic - aside from the sticker, what the heck am I looking at? It bothers me that I can't make any sense out of that pic.

OK BC, time to get going on this thing.

Order the stroker kit. Pick a color scheme for your engine compartment, components etc.

IIRC this thing already has some goodies on it, yes/no/maybe? Post up some specs!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Haha read the sentence above the pic "Cleaning her up..."

The valve cover gaskets do need replacing. Will probably throw something purdy in there to start my color scheme. It does have some goodies! Updated first post with mods so far...

It's the summer so budget is a bit tight since I am heavily into sporting clays, and I do have another project car I fight every year to complete. On top of that I have a few things to fix on this before I even attempt to give it more ponies.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 05-23-2014 at 07:24 AM.
    - Sandy

So you drive a 5.9 and shoot guns...... daaaaammmmm

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ Yup! Lots of them

- Sandy

I want one of those so bad...

sfn's lonely vajay jay

Back Hatch Work

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    I want one of those so bad...
    Was on a waiting list for a couple weeks! Very lucky to snag this as soon as it came in.

The support struts on the hatch lift glass were shot. Oil everywhere....

My make shift support -

The rear gasket was also in pieces. Every time it rained the 5.9 turned into a U-boat.

Ripped the interior apart so I could have good access to the weather seal -

Cleaning the old gunk off -

All done -

Mopar P/N for the Weather Seal - 55296037

The lift struts I just picked up off eBay for $17.
    - Sandy

nice..... how does that thing shoot?

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    So fun!! Ammo is getting easier to find, but it's as expensive as .45ACP. Picking up another goodie today since my go-to gun store is having a blow-out Memorial Day weekend sale. This is why I can't have nice Jeep things!
    - Sandy

Yeah all my friends love guns and everytime they buy an AR I'm like "that's heads or my jeep!"
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

sfn's lonely vajay jay

E-Fan Part I

After a lot of troubleshooting, thanks to the help of TSF, I decided to take apart the E-fan. Confirmed from the part number that this an original fan motor (hard to find and if you do costs $250+).

Taking it apart must have knocked something loose since my low speed now works! Will be saving up to replace it.

Great thread with lots of info and replacement parts for the E-fan and the system here - http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...ric-fan-switch
    - Sandy

are you getting the taurus fan motor? They are <100 from my understanding.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Naw, going with the VDO PM9069 with the Motorcraft pigtail. On Amazon right now both combined are $95 and I am a Prime member. So, that means I get it in 2-days and can save myself a junk yard day.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    are you getting the taurus fan motor? They are <100 from my understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
    Naw, going with the VDO PM9069 with the Motorcraft pigtail. On Amazon right now both combined are $95 and I am a Prime member. So, that means I get it in 2-days and can save myself a junk yard day.
    IIRC the $250 is because they only sell it as the whole Efan assembly from Jeep - I believe that's the only way they sold it?
    I don't know if they even have them, or maybe it's just that no one buys them cuz of that ridiculous price!

FYI BC, that is the Taurus swap - or from some Ford I think, LOL.

I assume that pigtail is the connector for the body side of the harness? That's a good way to go in case you ever have to replace the motor again. (hmmm, interesting. I don't recall too many people having had to replace the replacement motors - although I'm sure it's happened)

Not a lot of fun soldering 10GA wires but - you can do eeeeet!
    Last edited by Z88Z; 05-27-2014 at 01:20 AM.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Could any of you kind gents post a pic of what your rear lift hatch glass seal? I am specifically looking for where the joint/seam is supposed to go. I think I may have installed mine upside down oops
    - Sandy

That's what I did. Soldered the pigtail to the original fan connector from the old motor. Plugs right into the factory plug and didn't have to butcher up the wiring harness at all. Works perfectly.

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ Could you confirm the wiring scheme for me? I found a few forum posts online but they seemed to be different colors for the pig tail ---> original fan motor harness.
    - Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by csouers View Post
    That's what I did. Soldered the pigtail to the original fan connector from the old motor. Plugs right into the factory plug and didn't have to butcher up the wiring harness at all. Works perfectly.

That works too.

I like the idea of making it plug and play in case the motor happens to fail again when you're away from home, figuring you might have tools but you're less likely to have soldering stuff and/or 110v handy.

In my case, the Efan overheating took out the factory connector. Pins got hot enough that they melted the housing and it wouldn't go back together anyway so I cut off the Jeep body side connector and got a Ford body side harness from the junkyard and soldered that on in place of it.
    I kind of went a different way on it and did the Ford motor that has the connector right into the motor itself (no leads) 9010 I think it was.

^ Could you confirm the wiring scheme for me? I found a few forum posts online but they seemed to be different colors for the pig tail ---> original fan motor harness.

Hopefully someone will have better pix or a better explanation if this isn't what you're looking for....

If there's any doubt, best idea would probably be to bench test the new motor and confirm for sure which color wire is low speed and which is high

On our body side; Red/White is high speed, Dark Green is low.

From looking at my pix I'm gonna guess our motor leads were Brown (or black?) with yellow was high, and Black/Red was low.

From the other pic it looks like I matched up Yellow to Low and Light Green/Yellow for high - I'm guessing those are typical Ford colors...

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    Both my plugs are still in tact, thankfully. Will give me more elbow room to solder the pigtail on.

Could any of you kind gents post a pic of what your rear lift hatch glass seal? I am specifically looking for where the joint/seam is supposed to go. I think I may have installed mine upside down oops
    Bump for this! Going to try and fix it this weekend.
    - Sandy

The seam on mine is on the bottom and about 4" to the left of the latch mechanism. It's original.
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

sfn's lonely vajay jay
    ^ Sweet! Thank you!

UPDATE: Installed the weather strip the correct way and no more leaks from that window. I do, however, have found another source of water getting into the rear area.

The root actually goes through to the other side. Which one of the owner's so graciously applied RTV all over....

Thankfully, have a friend who welds so will get the rot cut out and replaced.
    Last edited by BoostinChick; 06-02-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    - Sandy