Thread: 5.9L new owner

5.9L new owner

Looking to find info on how to equip my 5.9L to be able to pull a 2500lb travel trailer across country safely and comfortably with family. Any input is greatly appreciated. Currently looking at new shocks, stabalizing/sway bar kits, brakes, and really anything else to upgrade.

Hey Ben! Welcome to the site. I'd look at a big tranny cooler as the first step towards reliable towing. I'm sure other people (who actually tow with their Jeeps) will chime in soon.

Hey! Thanks! I will look into that.

-Delete the check-valve
    -Add auxiliary transmission cooler
    -Transmission service: adjust BOTH bands, adjust TV cable, new fluid (ATF+4) and filter (and after my recent experience, I'd just go ahead and change the accumulator piston spring while in there)

There's a TSB Chrysler issued that says for maximum towing payload, you should also replace the e-fan with a 5.2L mechanical fan. (But it makes you go slower.)

Welcome to the site Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by AK-RWC View Post
    -There's a TSB Chrysler issued that says for maximum towing payload, you should also replace the e-fan with a 5.2L mechanical fan. (But it makes you go slower.)

Good call. That's the thing I was going to mention.

I don't know how your trailer compares with the stock tow rating for a 5.9 (I'm guessing the trailer is more) but the clutch fan increases that capacity.

Go to a boneyard and grab the 'normal' ZJ fan, clutch and shroud - or get a new clutch, whatever.

Should be a pretty easy, quick swap that you can do back and forth for when you're towing vs when you're not - but you might want to fabricate or buy a 'spanner' type setup to hold the water pump pulley, and take the clutch fan to the auto parts store and buy the big-ass wrench that you need for that.

I think the most difficult part is wrestling the fan shroud in and out of there. The Efan and shroud come out "fairly" easily with a bit of patience and maneuvering, but I believe the regular shroud is a little more difficult (going by memory - haven't dealt with one in a while)
    You could possibly trim and mod the regular shroud to come in and out easier as long as you aren't greatly interfering with it's air flow - or maybe better still; possibly grab two shrouds and cut them in half top to bottom leaving some overlap, then drill matching holes and stick some of those slide on threaded U clips (or whatever they're called, LOL) and set it up so it comes in and out in two pieces.

That's if you're going to swap back and forth. If you're just going to leave the clutch fan you wouldn't need to go to that extent.

The one thing you should do - find a spare connector off a factory Efan motor, pull the wires out of it, remove the cap off the rear and stick something plastic and/or maybe a dab of silicone under the cap, reinstall the cap and throw it on the open connector to make a factory type "dummy cap" seal so the body harness side of the Efan connector pins don't corrode.
    You can probably get someone on here to send you that connector off a bad motor or whatever

Wow thanks so much for your time. I will look into all of this. I'm new to this stuff so I'll have to take it pretty slow to start.

I have not towed with my niner, but I think it would do fine.

In addition to the trans cooler, you might consider adding a gauge for the trans temp. If you're staying out of the mountains I probably wouldn't sweat it though. Check fluid periodically.

The number one thing, IMO is ... does your trailer have brakes? If not, add them and then get a brake controller. If you don't want to hack up your 5.9 you can get a wireless controller that mounts to the trailer, no splicing of wires required. I have the Prodigy RF and it works great. I would start here before spending money on the tow vehicle brakes, assuming they are in good working condition.

Then I would look at the tongue weight/height. if it's not riding level you could either add airbags to the rear suspension or get a load leveling hitch. Also 2500 lbs will be more like 4000 lbs for a cross country trip with the whole family, or at least it would be for my family. Be smart about packing the trailer.

I use to pull a 3000lbs boat with mine with no problems. I would definitely invest in a trans cooler and be sure to tow with the OD off.

98 ZJ 5.9 Stone White, 2" lift, Kolak ignition

Sweet! Thanks for all the info. Is it difficult to install a transmission cooler? Or should I take it to a shop to do?

If you have to ask, farm it out to a professional. Installing a trans cooler is pretty easy for anyone with a bit of experience in wrenching, but if you're new to this and aren't familiar with finding the information for yourself, I'd avoid it if possible. Screwing up automatic transmission stuff isn't something I'd want to risk if I was green.

Actually, I have a related question, since I've gotten different answers elsewhere: is the '98 ZJ radiator really different from the 96-97? I was told it was, and as such couldn't accept the Mopar trans cooler. I think this Niner I just got has an aftermarket cooler installed, but I have a spare Mopar unit lying around that I was considering throwing on there because Mopar or No Car. Of course, if it's a no-go due to design, there I have it.
    1997 Orvis Edition - Josey - 84,000 miles
    1998 5.9 Limited - Eponine - 186,000 miles

Shoulda had a V8

Quote Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
    Actually, I have a related question, since I've gotten different answers elsewhere: is the '98 ZJ radiator really different from the 96-97? I was told it was, and as such couldn't accept the Mopar trans cooler. I think this Niner I just got has an aftermarket cooler installed, but I have a spare Mopar unit lying around that I was considering throwing on there because Mopar or No Car. Of course, if it's a no-go due to design, there I have it.
    If you have to ask...

The 98's went to in-radiator transmission coolers across the board. That's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    If you have to ask...

The 98's went to in-radiator transmission coolers across the board. That's the difference.
    'splain yourself Lucy

I'm not getting how that was different from other years.

I know my 93 was different. I think both fitting were screw on and they went to a slip on nipple in later years or something. That might have been cuz it had an external cooler too? I have two coolers and I can't even remember what they came off of - although I'm pretty sure one was the 93 so I'm guessing the other was the 94?

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    'splain yourself Lucy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbert Hubbard
    Never explain anything. Your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you anyway.
    Aargh. I'll see if I can dig it up.

According to the interwebz, in 1998 Jeep totally did away with the aux cooler--even on tow package equipped Jeeps. The barbs for the in-radiator are a different size than "some other years." I don't know if that's just pre '96 or pre '99. Still 3/8" NPT thread, but the actual nipple was larger. My VatoZone radiator I put in the last one came with an assortment of barb sizes for the transmission cooler. It had two that worked.

This information comes with the caveat that I may or may not be "talking out of my bum."

Last edited by McCloudsZJ; 06-04-2014 at 09:45 AM.