Project "no payment"

Started this in the intro, but should be here for the long term I suppose.
    http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?8535-Project-quot-no-payment-quot&p=112257#post112257

[copy and paste from intro]

A newbie to this forum but not to Jeeps or vehicle forums. I just picked up this gem last week for my wife to DD. I sold her car with a payment and with a baby due soon she wants to quit working...hence where the project name comes from.

1998 5.9 ZJ Limited with 231k miles. The transmission is not wanting to shift correctly and throwing P1756 and P0740 along with some 02 codes. The interior besides the pass side seat heater not working and the drivers rear door needing a window regulator is clean clean clean. The seats are in great shape for the miles. It needs every fluid changed, a tune up, and tires. The only rust is the rear hatch...which doesn't open, only the window. Needs some TLC but overall looks solid. I've got a 242 laying in the garage for it. I'm pretty excited to get it ready for the wife to drive.

Oh yeah...I paid $600 bucks for it.

$1270 later we have a rebuilt transmission.

Got it back on Friday, Grace drove it around a bit Friday and Saturday. She said it shifts fine. I have yet to drive it with the new transmission.

Start the laundry list of things that need done to it maintenance wise and inspected all things mechanical.

Changed the broken o2 sensor...there were no wires in it, found the pig tail.

Serviced both diffs. Found a piece of something in the rear diff. I think its either part of the limited slip or part of what holds the limited slip in. Going to have my gear buddy come over and rebuild the rear diff sometime soon. Hopefully the week after the baby is born when I'll be off work.

Found this when inspecting the rear brakes.

The drivers side is a stock shaft.
    Replaced the rear brakes.

Decided to pull the front end a part and grease it all up so it would be easy later and I wanted to inspect the c/v shafts. The boots looked newer, but it was apparently deceiving on how easy it would come apart. I got the passengers side a part pretty easily. The shaft is ok, but has a bit of play. Lubed it all up with antislease and put it back together. The brakes looked newer and in good shape. Got to the drivers side and found it wasn't going to be as easy. First thing I did was break two of the hub bolts...the hub is still seized in the knuckle. I finally gave up and started drinking. I will get a new hub today, I have other hub bolts but got rid of all my spare hubs with the baby jeep (kicking myself for this).

At the same time I was working on the front end, my buddy chuck was working on this.

Unfortunately the cheap Chinese lenses that bought, and the dorky way they install, had an issue and the passengers side headlight is now broke. Not sure what I'm going to do just yet.

I still need to get a belt and tune up items for it and tires, along with a few other minor things to address that are more annoying than anything. Oh, need to find a hatch someday too.

I also have an odd starting issue with it. When cold, it will not start on the first try, just turns over. But on the second try it always starts...no clue. Hoping with the o2 not having been hooked up at all that it might be related, but feel like that's unlikely.

I'll have about $2500 in it when I get it good and driveable. Even with the miles kbb suggests private party of $4000.

Still want to hunt down a 242 for it.

Still very happy with the purchase.

mac 'and no payment' gyvr
    Last edited by macgyvr; 01-24-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    Rosco Racing #302 KOH 2011/2013 Finished!
    Like Rosco Racin on facebook!
    98 5.9 2 in bb mall terrains, 2000 Excursion v10, 04 LJ wheeler, 01 Winnebago 5.9 DP tow rig
    My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

My Drinking Team has a Racing Problem

Almost 4 years later update?

252k on the ZJ. Trans works great. Put a 242 in it just after this post. It was a direct swap out of a 98 XJ.

The fuel pump has been replaced to fix the starting issue.

All the O2's were replaced.

I did the door pins. I've welded the door latch frame and replaced the door latch.

I fixed the VIC coolant sensor issue.

I added a small lift and a bit bigger tires.

Currently the heads are off and I'm replacing the head gaskets that were leaking like crazy (pouring water).

Trying to decide on keeping the stock exhaust manifolds or going with a set of shorty headers.

The top end of the motor looks great for the miles. Just gonna reseal it and put it back together.

mac 'still no payment' gyvr
    Last edited by macgyvr; 01-24-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    98 5.9 2 in bb mall terrains, 2000 Excursion v10, 04 LJ wheeler, 01 Winnebago 5.9 DP tow rig
    My idea of a perfect vacation is a road trip through beautiful country. To make it really fun, all that's needed is a modified vehicle, a few close friends, and some serious off-roading. Cole Quinnell - Editor, 4WOR, Dec 99

Looks like you made some progress on it.

By shortys do you mean block huggers? They're all kind of a PITA and require compromises.

The PO that did my 5 speed had to notch the passenger side frame rail to get the Sandersons to fit.

From what I've seen and read the Hedmans won't clear the passenger upper control arm unless the Jeep is lifted a few inches. Driver's side fits decent, but it needs one of the bosses on the side of the block ground down just a tad.

There's others out there but afaik they haven't been tried on the ZJs.

Might be easier to just keep the mannies, or wait for a set of "real" ZJ headers to show up new or used.

cool to hear you are still running it!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Yeah it's odd searching for headers for it. I had to cut the flange bolts off and got into the exhaust manifold a little. I can probably clean that up with the welder and a grinder. Just wondered if there was something cheap and easy to put on it.

Hard to find anything specific to the 5.9 in a ZJ.

Do I need to spend $40 bucks on intake bolts or can I just go to the hardware store and get bolts?

Same for the exhaust manifold bolts? Actually I can't find exhaust manifold bolts specific to the 5.9 ZJ or 5.2 online.

I'm stripping the heads this weekend to drop off at the machine shop on Monday, broke three intake bolts and gonna have them clean them up and flex them.

The wife is bitching about daily driving the excursion, so I guess I need to get it back together sooner rather than later.

mac 'cheaper than a new car' gyvr

Headers for the ZJs are very specific and stuff made for other vehicles won't fit.

There were only Mike Leach, Mopar Performance, Edelbrock, and Doug Thorleys. Of all those only the DTs are still in production, or were last I knew. If they are, their available through Kolak for - I believe - 6 or 700?
    The other ones occasionally pop up used on the forums.

With all the various fitment problems associated with the block hugger type headers (or which none are made specifically for ZJs) they just aren't worth dealing with unless you mess around with left side starters for a 5 speed conversion or whatever.

FYI everything exhaust related is the same between 5.2s and 5.9s (with the possible exception of one of the early header designs for the 96 to 98s that might have been 5.2 specific and might not clear the pass side "bump out" of the 46RE vs the 44RE. and I can't swear that's even correct, but I read it somewhere.)

So if the manny is dinged up you could grab one off a 5.2 at a boneyard maybe?

Not sure about the intake bolts, but which exhaust bolts do you mean - like all of them or just the flange stuff?

I really don't know about the manifold to head bolts. They seem to be pretty necked down where they go through it, probably to allow for expansion or something? Likewise the washers are pretty specific, with a bit of a dish to them - probably also to allow for slight movement under them as the manifold and bolts expand and contract during their heat cycles.
    Not saying you can't use regular bolts there - just saying it looks like they put some thought into the factory design.

The flange bolts probably don't need to be too specific. The only PTA part is getting wrenches etc in place to hold a standard nut when you're tightening it. Hard cuz on some of them you pretty much have to get to the nut to hold it from the top, while you pretty much need to get to the bolt from the bottom. It can be done though, LOL

Didn't I read on here somewhere that some older exhaust manifolds flow better? Or maybe that was just for a different exit location... anyone know? I have DT's, so didn't really pay too much attention.

And yes, DT's are still made and available from Kolak - best price around two years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by carlmon View Post
    Didn't I read on here somewhere that some older exhaust manifolds flow better? Or maybe that was just for a different exit location... anyone know? ...
    Yes, that information was out there that the very early manifolds had a slightly bigger outlet, but we never figured out what they were used on.

Rick/Ringwraith was always on the hunt for that info.

I measured my 12/92 built ZJ 5.2 exhaust manifolds and they were exactly the same as the 5.9 stuff. Best guess (if they ever truly existed) was that they were maybe used on the 92 model year Dodge stuff and/or maybe only trucks with the 5.9 - unless they were used on the very first 92 built ZJs or something

The exhaust manifold bolts came out pretty ugly and a bit mangled. They also have threads on the ends to bolt the heat shield on. I can't seem to find those at all online.

The flange bolts also need replaced as the drivers side had to be cut off...passengers side came off...gonna be ugly going back on...

I need the intake bolts as three of them broke.

mac 'a car payment worth of repairs this month' gyvr

Will it seal?

Throw some weld in?

mac 'better than in the block' gyvr

Looks like there's a little path for leakage but overall it's a really small path.

If you have access to a welder that would be good, but you could probably get away with doing hi-temp JB Weld or even muffler dope or whatever where it's such a small area.

Do you have access to any boneyards with ZJs in them? I imagine it wouldn't be more than a few bucks to grab a manifold and the exhaust hardware you need. Probably even those intake bolts. (I can't remember if the intake bolts are reusable or the stretch torque kind that are supposed to be replaced - hopefully somebody will chime in on that.

The good part is - it's the driver's side manifold so that's the same on any 5.2 ZJ 93 to 98. (Pass side would have the EGR on the early ZJs)

I'd skip the heat shields when putting them back, but just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 07-26-2016 at 06:30 AM.

And the machine shop just called...the heads have cracks...

Looking for a source of inexpensive reman heads I guess...

mac 'or maybe it's time for a bullet and part it out' gyvr

Quote Originally Posted by macgyvr View Post
    And the machine shop just called...the heads have cracks...
    Don't they all? I'd steer clear of remanned factory heads and look at aftermarket.

So my buddy used a coat hanger and the torch to clean the manifold up.

And then a grinder...we'll see how it works.

Almost got her back together.

mac 'crosses fingers on no leaks' gyvr

Did all that work and it wasn't the heads that were leaking, it was the front cover.

So I pulled all that off and replaced the front cover seal and did the timing chain while i was in there.

Then the steering box started leaking. Replaced that. Then the power steering pump started leaking and I had to replace the pressure line.

I'm currently chasing a leak that appears to be coming from the cap of the pump reservoir...but

Today the lower radiator hose started blowing antifreeze all over the place at the temp sensor connection...I didn't do radiator hoses when I was in there because, well, I didn't know if it was going to hold together.

So there's that project now.

I fixed my photo links too.

mac 'up to 254k or so' gyvr

Power steering pump replaced...twice...stupid junk part store parts...

Water pump was the antifreeze leak...replaced that and put new hoses on it.

mac 'hopefully this works' gyvr

Last Saturday I did a burnout at a burnout party.

https://youtu.be/WFr0FUQwu38

mac 'still going' gyvr

nice!
    keep us updated!
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Will do. Back in February or March we bought another black 5.9. I need to start a thread on it at some point.

mac 'his and her dd's' gyvr