Thread: New guy here

New guy here

hey there. was directed here from a memeber on jeepforum. just picked up my first ZJ. A 98 5.9 limited . got a wicked deal on it. Previous owner just had new tires, brakes and some exhaust work done and it started running poorly and she got fed up with it so i got it for $750, yes $750. I put a new battery in it, cleaned grounds by coil , and iac , put a new front o2 sensor in it and shes running great now, had a rebuilt tranny installed in '11 , has 163k on it, interior looks brand new, it was wrecked at one point , some of the panels dont match in color but a good wet sanding and buffing may help that, if not plasti-dip will. I had planned on just flippng it for some quick $$ but the more i drive it the more i like it. My daily now is a 07 unlimited rubi with some goodies. the ZJ gets the same mileage but has 3x the power. Now i guess its on to reading up on the new ride

Welcome to the site! That's definitely a hell of a deal on that Jeep. If you keep it, any idea what you're gonna do to it? Lifted, locked and long-armed? Lowered with a supercharger? Comfortable DD with a decent sound system? Winter beater vehicle?

Hello and Welcome.... looks good. That is the second 750 snow white one....

thanks. my JK is already lifted and i wheel it so i dont really need another lifted jeep BUT i do love the way the ZJ's look with a little lift. if i did lift this i wouldnt wheel it, ive already ruined my JK wheeling it , Id hate to ruin this one, its in really good shape, esp for being in the rust belt here in PA. Im thinking some small power adders,a good stereo, maybe a part time transfer case to try to get better mileage out of it.

Welcome, If you like the look of a lift but don't plan to 'froad it. I would go with OME. Even if you do end up off the beaten path it's a great kit with slightly taller ride height and a good sporty feel.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Welcome to the site!

Lots of good info to be found here

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Hello and Welcome.... looks good. That is the second 750 snow white one....

well my boss has a lifted 94 that ff i go that route ill prob just steal the lift off that as the fuel pump went a few years ago and its just been sitting rotting away since then

welcome aboard!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

figured ill ask here, i see alot of mention of intake temp sensor relocation but i cant find a specific thread on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
    figured ill ask here, i see alot of mention of intake temp sensor relocation but i cant find a specific thread on it.

It's pretty simple, although it's usually done in conjunction with some kind of CAI (Cold Air Intake) setup.

K&N intake used to be the hot setup, well almost the only setup, LOL - but between the tubes always cracking and the price there's lots of better alternatives out there. There's cheaper kits on ebay, but a lot of people are just piecing together their own.
    You can buy various better flowing airhats, and flexible elbows, with people using everything from aluminum to PVC for the tube itself - and topped off with the cone filter of your choice.

If you take a look around there's been a couple of threads about the subject recently - I'll try and find the links and post back but it won't be til later.

As far as the relocation, you just install it somewhere along the intake tube, then splice wires from the old sensor harness to reach the new location. Then just make sure it's secured in there with RTV silly cone or something.

i see, i thought it was moving it to trick ecm into thinking the temp was different.
    '98 5.9 Limited-stock
    '07 Unlimited Rubi-RockKrawler-RiverRaider-Reid-RCV-TenFactory-PolyPerformance-Superchips-RuffStuff-Yukon

i see, i thought it was moving it to trick ecm into thinking the temp was different.
    It is so to speak. There is some debate on this. The way we all(most of the SFers) see it, you want the computer reading the air that's coming in without the sensor being heat soaked. This would adjust the fuel and spark a bit. The other school of thought is, and I disagree with, you want it as close to the valve as possible so it reads a temp that's more representative of the air that enters the CC. The real truth on that is at WOT the air is hauling ass in there and the sensor is actually hotter than the air that passes it.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    It is so to speak. There is some debate on this. ....
    I see. I took your question to be more of a "how to" question than a why/how it works question. But yes, what Tanner said ^ - the PCM is seeing cooler temps with a relocated AIT and changes the fuel mixture (or changes timing too?) in response. Whether that's considered fooling it or just giving it more accurate information, I'm not sure of that.

I was only mentioning the CAI since most people tend to want one anyway and it's convenient to set it up as part of that install (plus it's a tad easier than finding a place for it in the stock airbox setup)

Welcome to the site!

Beared One
    Very nice deal on the 5.9. Welcome!