Another one for the collection

Thanks Murda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
    ...... Here's one for you NH guys

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4389602868.html

Here's what $750 gets ya

Slightly cleaned up here. Needs some work, typical New England rust but a lot less scary than some I've seen. It'll do for a DD.

Tranny supposedly rebuilt a while ago, and it seem like it actually has a good 249!

Here's the funny part.

Know what that guy didn't mention in the ad?

Doug Thorleys. Cast Jeep VCs. MP CAI - cracked but probably repairable

...and per one of the CARB stickers it has an MP purple camshaft! Kinda hard to confirm that one though, LOLz

Two fingers way way up! Not gonna tell you which two, but still... Great find.

Great score John. Hell I paid for my DTs what you bought the entire Niner for.

Wow nice John , I thought you was kidding in the craigslist thread lol
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 04-05-2014 at 02:17 PM.

With those mods, I'd wonder if it has the MOPAR Performance PCM too.

sweet niner
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    Two fingers way way up! Not gonna tell you which two, but still... Great find.
    Knowing you as I do Logan, I'm assuming it's pinkies. Two pinkies while you delicately sip your tea with both hands

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Great score John. Hell I paid for my DTs what you bought the entire Niner for.
    Tween that and the VCs and the niner parts I figured it was worth the money in parts alone. That made the decision right there.

I'm trying to remember what the used Thorleys and Jeep cast VCs have been selling for - anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    Wow nice John , I thought you was kidding in the craigslist thread lol
    I never kid about stuff Bob.

LOL - see what I did there? I KIDDED!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    sweet niner
    Thank you kind sir!

No idea what $750 translates to in Euro money - but it was a cheap buy. Worth more than that in parts alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-RWC View Post
    oh wow - very interesting thought!!!

I'll check the PCM numbers but I'm thinking they would have stuck the CARB sticker on there if it had one. (I'm assuming MP PCMs came with CARB stickers, although I don't know that for a fact)

Oddly enough, the thing didn't seem to have a lot of power on tap - although to be honest I didn't really give it much of a shakedown on the way home. When my main concern is getting a car I'm not familiar with 86 miles back to my house I tend to drive it as tenderly as possible. That and I was driving home on his 20 day temp tag - which basically wasn't legal since I had bought the Jeep. I meant to have him date the bill of sale for the next day and I coulda said I ws on a test drive if I got pulled over, LOL

So anyway, it actually seemed slightly less responsive than my other Stone White which is bone stock except for the 3" cat back exhaust. BTW I only looked quickly but I believe he did not go with a 3" exhaust.

No idea why that would be, but possibly it has the death flash?

I'm guessing it has a bad plenum but not sure exactly how much that affects mid-range performance. It also looks like it's been running around with that cracked CAI for a while so that surely didn't help the motor. Doesn't run bad or sound bad or blow a lot of oil so I'm guessing it didn't inhale a lot of dirt.

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar
    Thats an awesome buy for $750. Now that I got that out of the way, dibs on towhooks! lol (if you plan to sell them)
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

dibs on the thorleys.
    Resident speeding ticket whore

If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one.

Rock and roll man! That's awesome. I'm a little jealous.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

PCM would not have a carb sticker, just a different PN.

Also, great score!
    -Dave

1998 GC Laredo SE/1998 Plat 5.9/1998 Plat 5.9/1994 Laredo 5 speed/1998 Slate 5.9- All sold/scrapped

2004 BMW 330i ZHP- New DD

I'm jealous! I saw that on CL last week and didn't even bother emailing bc I assumed it was long gone!

Great pickup.

With the amount of stuff done to this, what're the odds it belonged to one of the OGs on the bad site? Is there a way to get a list of previous owners or something?

750 usd in euromoney is about 550-600 euros...just think that i paid almost 5 years ago 6500 euros for mine (that was way different from the seller's description ).
    it's damn cheap, i'm so jealous
    98 ZG 318 limited: np 242 swap, aussie locker, shift kit, optima red, 170lbs reduction, 5.9 vents, tcase skid, kn air filter, air ram, 1.7 HS RRs, SCT 93 oct tune, magnaflow muffler 12255, magnaflow hi-flo cat, spectre air hat, 2x52mm tb, 5.9 efan swap, ngk fr5-1 plugs, mopar perf wires, new cap 'n rot, maxxperf coil, iat relocation, roof lights, pirelli scorpions on masitaly 16x7 rims ET=0, ome HD coils +2",rubic exp +2"shocks, skyjacker ss, rubic exp adjustable front arms, jks rear+procomp front trackbar, prothane engine n tranny mounts, prothane sway bars bushings, drilled n slotted rotors, aeronautical front brake lines, purple led into front grill, hella h4s 100/55w, osarm h3s 55w.
    my channel
    https://www.youtube.com/TommyVercettism/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 318 ita View Post
    750 usd in euromoney is about 550-600 euros...just think that i paid almost 5 years ago 6500 euros for mine (that was way different from the seller's description ).
    it's damn cheap, i'm so jealous
    Don't feel too bad - over there yours is the equivalent of an exotic vehicle! ...kind of, LOL.

I paid around $5,200 in 2006 for my Stone White, my first 5.9 and second ZJ. Between all the New England winters and spending too much time on my other projects and not keeping up on this one, I'm basically stuck with a parts Jeep now.
    The body is bad enough that it just isn't worth doing the mechanical stuff on, rockers are totally shot etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan13 View Post
    I'm jealous! I saw that on CL last week and didn't even bother emailing bc I assumed it was long gone!

Great pickup.
    It's funny, he said he had it for sale for like a month. He also said he's not on any forums but his buddies are - I just don't understand how they didn't snatch it up or tell him what it was worth in parts or whatever.

meh, except for the goodies it's just an ok 5.9. Not terrible for a New England ZJ it's age but not something you'd do a serious build on anymore.

I figure the reason he let it go cheap is that it's got bad head gaskets. Pretty sure but I haven't confirmed it yet. It's got guck in the overflow - but he was DDing it and it made the 86 mile highway drive home without getting hot.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    With the amount of stuff done to this, what're the odds it belonged to one of the OGs on the bad site? Is there a way to get a list of previous owners or something?
    Interesting thought.

The mods are kinda basic and no appearance mods done to it so it would probably be hard to find. not that I want to spend a lot of time on that site either.

...and here's where it gets interesting

Quote Originally Posted by squashman702 View Post
    PCM would not have a carb sticker, just a different PN.

Also, great score!
    Thank you SO much AK! I don't know how long it would have been til I got around to checking that out, but considering it didn't have a lot of pep in it's step I wasn't expecting anything fancy...

I thought about AK's post and decided to take a look. Tried to take a pic of the P/N but that didn't work out too well, LOL.

I didn't have any pen or paper so I texted the number to my email to check it out later. PC: PO 5007124

Went to the 5.9 PCM number thread: http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...r-(all-of-them!)

....and found this at the bottom - thanks to Nick/Kolak for the info, btw.

And... thanks goes out to Nick/Kolak for the confirmation on the Mopar Performance PCM P/Ns:

"The P4876898 is correct for Federal emissions. P5007124 is the part number for CA emissions."

So it's a CALI spec MP PCM. I'd rather it be a FED MP PCM, but I'm still pretty happy about it.

AFAIK there was never really any difference in performance between FED and CALI 5.9s or the MP PCMs, it's just that the CALI ones are looking for the LDP (leak detection pump)

Other very minor stuff - it has Jeep rear mudflaps and Jeep heavy duty rubber floor mats. Has skids, and tow hooks as you can see in the pix. Spare tire cover - but no spare, lol, and no cargo cover.
    Suck part is it looks like it had a Lund visor at some point but it's gone. Now I just have ugly holes up there LOL

Biggest downside, like even bigger than the possibly bad head gasket - it did not come with the cup holder insert. How can you spend that much on performance goodies and ingnore the number 1 speed secret!!!

I'm not 100% sure what the plan is yet, but no - I'm not planning on selling anything off it.

I'll probably DD it and keep it for winter use, since it's not exactly mint or rust free.

I'm probably going to have to part out my other one since I don't think I can get as much for it as it's worth to me in parts.. I'm thinking I may toss my motor into this one to save time and money over doing head gaskets and the most likely necessary machining. I might yank the performance parts, or I might leave them.

This is what really made the whole thing worth while...

Master Shake on the rear window ftmfw!

Shake zulah, the mic rulah!
    Last edited by Z88Z; 04-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Thank you SO much AK!
    You are welcome! You can owe me a beer. I miss Harpoon (from my time during college in Boston), and Magic Hat (grad school in Vermont), neither of which ever find their way to Alaska. I'd also be happy to take any of those speed parts off your hands, except for the DTs, since the exhaust hangs down too far for practical wheelin'. (I also still need a functioning auto-dim driver-side mirror.)

AFAIK there was never really any difference in performance between FED and CALI 5.9s or the MP PCMs, it's just that the CALI ones are looking for the LDP (leak detection pump)
    From my experience, I will confirm that general principle. I had a CAL-spec PCM (installed by the PO's mechanic) with a constant CEL for the LDP. The ZJ is a FED-spec ZJ, so it wasn't ever equipped with the LDP. I put in a FED-spec PCM, and the CEL never came back. I have no experience with the MOPAR PCM, but if somebody wanted to give me a FED-spec MOPAR PCM, I'd be happy to test it and provide a report.

You are welcome! You can owe me a beer. I miss Harpoon (from my time during college in Boston), and Magic Hat (grad school in Vermont)

(I also still need a functioning auto-dim driver-side mirror.)

From my experience, I will confirm that general principle.

You kids and your fancy beers.

I have simple tastes. I was a Heineken guy for decades but kinda switched over to Corona as it felt a little lighter and crisper.

My faves are actually Flying Horse, Taj Mahal and Kingfisher but it's rare to find those outside of an Indian restaurant. Had a Flying Horse last night with my Lamb Rogan Josh in fact

I'm not 100% sure what the CALI PCMs are looking for as far as the LDP (besides it being there, LOL)

I don't know if it's just looking to see the circuit and sending out a signal to it to open/close etc, or if the LDP does something more sophisticated like sending a signal (completing a circuit) when it see vacuum, or doesn't, or whatever.

I have a feeling it's the former rather than the latter. I'll have to look it up in the FSM one of these days, or in the meantime I might unplug the houses to it but leave the electrical connector and see if it throws a code.

I do know - all ZJs have the wiring for the LDP. There aren't FED vs CALI harnesses or anything.

If you look under the EVAP setup on the fender of a FED ZJ you can see a largish connector taped into the harness. On FED ZJs it's capped off for weatherproofing.

The reason I'm wondering about that is - I'm thinking (if I eventually sell this MP PCM) if someone with a FED ZJ bought it I could ship the LDP with and they could plug it in if it only needs to see the circuit, or maybe the whole EVAP/LDP setup could go with it as I don't think there's too much difference other than what's attached to the bracket that stuff sits on.