New 5.9 owner in Kansas City, Mo

Hey everyone, glad to be part of your community. My name is Ryan and I just bought platinum niner with 218k on it. Transmision was rebuilt 30k ago (45k left on warranty). It came with a bruteforce CAI, clear corners, new hankook tires all around, and all the badging removed. The vehicle is extremely clean and well maintained inside and out. After the work ive done thus far its near flawless for a 98. So far I've replaced the driver door (metal around latch was destroyed), air filter, upper radiator hose, and the entire rear axle (swapped for one with 100k on it, 6 month warranty) w/ 75-140 mopar fluid and ls fluid. Changed the oil w/ synthetic high mileage. It runs and drives like a dream and I think I'm in love with her. I still need to re-connect some wiring in the driver door from when it was swapped, find which brake light is out (damn annoying vic), fix a dangling license plate light, fix whatevers making the interior lights dim (headlight switch?), and re-solder the vic (coolant sensor warning every now and then) and I think that's it for now. I paid $2300 for her and I think I'm at roughly $3200 in now. Did I get a good deal?

Welcome to the site!

Post up some pics here or in the members gallery. Start a build thread if you want - or just hang out and enjoy the place.

It's always hard to say if something's a good deal. Depends on how clean it is, what problems come up etc.

Find a way to hold the brake pedal down to confirm the brake lights are good - or find the bad one. You can try the old 'tool box on the brake pedal and go out back and look' trick... I happened to have a prybar that just fits between the brake pedal and the ridge the front seat is bolted to, that works for me.

If it's not an actual bad bulb on the brake lights, I think occasionally it's just another bad solder joint in the VIC. It could possibly be the LOM (Light out module) that's behind the little panel next to the spare tire. Kind of weird - some ZJ rear trim has the little hatch and some doesn't - not sure why.

The dimming lights is frequently tied to a bad headlight switch. I believe a few people have taken them apart and resoldered something in there too, but I can't remember exactly which part they resoldered, LOL.

Here's some pics from right before I bought it. I've cleaned her up ALOT since, but its now filthy due to the weather we've had lately.00K0K_hgyFq5ZIC4G_600x450.jpg00L0L_cbGfI6EV2Qz_600x450.jpg00T0T_7sy0RuqU22t_600x450.jpg00z0z_3uV75isGS9_600x450.jpg01212_6wM5BXx2s8s_600x450.jpg

Looking good...

looks like a good buy to me.
    2013 Chevy 3500 CC/LB Dually LTZ 4x4
    2010 MBZ E350 4Matic
    2010 VW Jetta
    2003 Chevy 2500 HD EC/LB 4X4 Service Truck
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited x 2

Good buy! FYI Theres a platinum niner in the Truman road pick and pull if you need any body parts the doors and everything looked good.

Welcome! looks good..

Beared One
    Good deal man. Welcome to the site