Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

My Daily Speeder.. I mean Driver.

Just picked up a 5.9 off a friend of a friend for $2,600. Little rough around the edges, but I'm always down for a little work. Overall looks fine, few spots that need to be addressed, along with color matching the bumpers, but it drives fine and the interior is in nice shape. Seller also sold me an SCT tuner for an additional $200, which I was going to buy one anyway, so why not.

Right off the bat, I'll be addressing the spots and bumpers. Then as far as upgrades go, it's remaining fairly stock when it comes to suspension and whatnot.

• Retrofit projector headlights
    • Upgrade entire audio setup
    • 3'' (possibly Kolak's) full exhaust
    • Bilstein shocks
    • New shoes (looking at Firestone Destination LE 2s)
    • Color match front/rear bumpers - Post

And that's about it more or less. Nothing too fancy. Once the bumpers are color matched, I may Plastidip the rims and tint the rear headlights for a more sporty look.

Picked this up because this was my previous DD and this isn't the best vehicle to drive in a city lol. http://i.imgur.com/5kNYihH.jpg
    Last edited by CaptainNiner; 11-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Don't stop for nothing, it's full speed or nothing

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

IMO best color for zj

Nah... plat is. Best of both and does not show dirt like either the white or the black!

- - - Updated - - -

Good find though... Keep us updated on your progress. Even what you do paint wise.

Congrats on what looks like a nice 5.9 - and double congrats for the SCT thing!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNiner View Post
    .... this isn't the best vehicle to drive in a city lol.....
    Ha! Until the zombie apocalypse comes that is... then it is the best vehicle to drive in a city!

but you might want to get some doors in that event. Keep out the undead and whatnot

Tell me sir - are you an imgurian?

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    IMO best color for zj
    I originally wanted a slate one, but the price was too good to pass up. It grew on me now.

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    Nah... plat is. Best of both and does not show dirt like either the white or the black!

- - - Updated - - -

Good find though... Keep us updated on your progress. Even what you do paint wise.
    Haha, yeah plat does look nice as well. And will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Congrats on what looks like a nice 5.9 - and double congrats for the SCT thing!

Ha! Until the zombie apocalypse comes that is... then it is the best vehicle to drive in a city!

but you might want to get some doors in that event. Keep out the undead and whatnot

Tell me sir - are you an imgurian?

Thanks man! Couldn't pass that SCT tuner up! And you're right about the doors haha. But until then, it's staying in the garage. Attracts waaaay too much attention lol.

And yes I am haha. All of my photos are hosted on Imgur. I mainly browse reddit though.

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

I think you ought to shave roof rack, all clear lights up front , paint bumper white , tint and tint tails(look damn goon white zj's) just my 2cents
    Oh and I like the stinger on your xj.
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 11-05-2013 at 04:26 PM.

I would black out the mesh of the grill if I had a white one.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

I think you ought to shave roof rack, all clear lights up front , paint bumper white , tint and tint tails(look damn goon white zj's) just my 2cents
    Oh and I like the stinger on your xj.
    I didn't think about the rack. Would look nice. I'm replacing the headlights with a crystal housing and doing retrofitting projectors. The front/rear bumpers are black, so I think I'll paint them myself instead of a shop. Since I have to address a few other spots with some paint. Would be cheaper, since I might paint the whole vehicle matte black next year. Tinting the tails and blacking the rims out is on the list. And thanks man! Can't tell you how many times that stinger came close to touching the ground haha.

A buddy of mine can sell me his Rusty's light bar for $40. Might pick it up and put HIDs or something on it. Not sure if it'd throw off the look.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-bu...ja-bar-zj.html

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    I would black out the mesh of the grill if I had a white one.

That would look nice, wouldn't it? I wanted to black something out on the front to match the rims/tails. I thought about the shroud on the projectors, but I think the mesh grille would be perfect. Not too much, but just enough.
    Last edited by CaptainNiner; 11-05-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Derek - Facebook

Yerfdog has a very nice example of the black/white "storm trooper" look. If you need some inspiration.

I tried searching and only saw his pics with the Rockstar wheels. Which looks pretty sweet! I see he painted his louvers black. Would that be a better route over the mesh grille? I kind of like the black grille.

Derek - Facebook

Yerfdog's is tight as f%ck and I really do think yours would look good with RR delete and black your rims
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 11-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Yeah, I think so too. I'll kick around the idea of blacking the mesh too.

Also, are the turn signal bulbs amber, or is that the housing? I want to get these, but want to know if I need amber bulbs too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-Jeep-G...1a52f6&vxp=mtr

Derek - Facebook

You can put whatever bulb u want in (color I mean) I got white LEDs in mine and those are the exact ones I ordered just in black

darn redditors! LOL

I know there's at least one other redditor on here. I just lurk and laugh on imgur.

Tell me Captain - are you eventually going towards an offroad build, or a street performance build, or more of a mild custom DD thing?

Even removing the RR crossbars can give it a pretty different profile.

I personally like them with the RRs completely removed, but then you still have the little nutserts sticking up and those have to be sealed.
    I did it with rounded flatter head screws (threads sealed with silicone) on my Stone White. On my 93 I drilled the nutserts out completely - even found some nice flat rubber seals that won't be very noticeable, although I may just go with little squares of that "600 mile an hour" tape.
    Brazing them over would be the ultimate, but that's a whole other level of expense there and would require some painting etc.

Blacked out mesh might look good. Come to think of it - I thought someone on here had done that, but I can't remember who that was for the life of me.
    ....or maybe they just Pshopped it or whatever. I think they had two ZJs, black and white and one of them was a 5.9 - they might have just swapped some parts.

Probably not a good comparison but Duke, the PO/builder of my Platinum did the blacked out grill thing.
    He did the sides of the inner bars and the inside lip of the grill there too rather than just the mesh, which gives it a different look. Plus he did the hood and the scallop of the bumper so it's not a good representation of how blacked out mesh by itself would look.

I don't hate it, but I probably would not have gone this route on a Plat 9er, or if I did it would only have been just the mesh and not the other parts of the grill too.

Here's yerfdog's thread with tons of pics. Damn decent lookin' Jeep!

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...=storm+trooper
    Last edited by Z88Z; 11-06-2013 at 07:42 AM.

You can put whatever bulb u want in (color I mean) I got white LEDs in mine and those are the exact ones I ordered just in black
    Can I do LED bulbs in the markers and taillights without having to run a harness or anything? I did an LED taillight conversion on my XJ and it was a pain to setup and I had to use a harness. I wouldn't mind bright plug and play bulbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    darn redditors! LOL

I know there's at least one other redditor on here. I just lurk and laugh on imgur.

Tell me Captain - are you eventually going towards an offroad build, or a street performance build, or more of a mild custom DD thing?

Even removing the RR crossbars can give it a pretty different profile.

I personally like them with the RRs completely removed, but then you still have the little nutserts sticking up and those have to be sealed.
    I did it with rounded flatter head screws (threads sealed with silicone) on my Stone White. On my 93 I drilled the nutserts out completely - even found some nice flat rubber seals that won't be very noticeable, although I may just go with little squares of that "600 mile an hour" tape.
    Brazing them over would be the ultimate, but that's a whole other level of expense there and would require some painting etc.

Blacked out mesh might look good. Come to think of it - I thought someone on here had done that, but I can't remember who that was for the life of me.
    ....or maybe they just Pshopped it or whatever. I think they had two ZJs, black and white and one of them was a 5.9 - they might have just swapped some parts.

Probably not a good comparison but Duke, the PO/builder of my Platinum did the blacked out grill thing.
    He did the sides of the inner bars and the inside lip of the grill there too rather than just the mesh, which gives it a different look. Plus he did the hood and the scallop of the bumper so it's not a good representation of how blacked out mesh by itself would look.

I don't hate it, but I probably would not have gone this route on a Plat 9er, or if I did it would only have been just the mesh and not the other parts of the grill too.

Here's yerfdog's thread with tons of pics. Damn decent lookin' Jeep!

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...=storm+trooper

Hah! And this will remain a street performance build. I have the XJ for anything offroad. I'll look into removing the roof rack. I certainly won't be using it, so why not take it off? I might Plastidip the mesh grille to see if I like this. I definitely want to paint the rims and tint the tails though.

Derek - Facebook

You can do LEDs wherever you want , cheaper on eBay
    This should help Bulb_____Location

Front Exterior:
    9004-----Headlamp high/low (9007 will fit with high beam and ground wires swapped and trimming a tab)
    3454NA--Parking light (3057NA will work, 3454NA is dealer only)
    3454NA--Front turn signal (3057NA will work, 3454NA is dealer only)
    194------Front side marker
    H3-------Fog lights
    105------Under hood (561 will fit)

Rear Exterior:
    3057-----Rear turn signal
    3057-----Rear running/brake light
    3057-----Backup light
    168------License plate
    922------Center brake light
    194------Rear side marker

Interior Ceiling:
    212------Map/reading lights
    212------Rear cargo light
    74-------Overhead console US/M and STEP lights
    GF710----Vanity mirrors
    LED------Auto-dim mirror

Interior Dash:
    194------Instrument cluster
    194------High beam/brake/turn signal/etc. indicators
    Micro*---Rear wiper/heated seat/OD off/rear def. module
    Micro*---Headlight/fog light/dimmer module
    74-------Manual HVAC controls
    Micro*---Auto HVAC controls
    168------Graphic display module (non-VIC 4wd display)
    Micro**--Radio
    194------Glove box
    53-------Cigar lighter ring
    37-------Ash tray
    67-------Floor

Interior Misc:
    194------Transmission indicator
    194------Transfer case indicator
    198------Courtesy Door
    LED------Window and lock switches

*Micro lamp information
    **Micro lamp information, the radio ones are soldered to the board

Visual Guide

A 194
    B 57
    E 1141
    E 1156
    F 1076
    G 211-2
    H 906
    I 921
    J 1003
    L 1157
    M 1139-IF
    M 1143
    N 1383
    R J12B-IF
    R 2099CL
    F=Frosted, CL=Clear
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 11-06-2013 at 02:15 PM.

You can do LEDs wherever you want , cheaper on eBay
    This should help Bulb_____Location

Front Exterior:
    9004-----Headlamp high/low (9007 will fit with high beam and ground wires swapped and trimming a tab)
    3454NA--Parking light (3057NA will work, 3454NA is dealer only)
    3454NA--Front turn signal (3057NA will work, 3454NA is dealer only)
    194------Front side marker
    H3-------Fog lights
    105------Under hood (561 will fit)

Rear Exterior:
    3057-----Rear turn signal
    3057-----Rear running/brake light
    3057-----Backup light
    168------License plate
    922------Center brake light
    194------Rear side marker

Interior Ceiling:
    212------Map/reading lights
    212------Rear cargo light
    74-------Overhead console US/M and STEP lights
    GF710----Vanity mirrors
    LED------Auto-dim mirror

Interior Dash:
    194------Instrument cluster
    194------High beam/brake/turn signal/etc. indicators
    Micro*---Rear wiper/heated seat/OD off/rear def. module
    Micro*---Headlight/fog light/dimmer module
    74-------Manual HVAC controls
    Micro*---Auto HVAC controls
    168------Graphic display module (non-VIC 4wd display)
    Micro**--Radio
    194------Glove box
    53-------Cigar lighter ring
    37-------Ash tray
    67-------Floor

Interior Misc:
    194------Transmission indicator
    194------Transfer case indicator
    198------Courtesy Door
    LED------Window and lock switches

*Micro lamp information
    **Micro lamp information, the radio ones are soldered to the board

Visual Guide

A 194
    B 57
    E 1141
    E 1156
    F 1076
    G 211-2
    H 906
    I 921
    J 1003
    L 1157
    M 1139-IF
    M 1143
    N 1383
    R J12B-IF
    R 2099CL
    F=Frosted, CL=Clear

Thanks! I'm definitely going to do the exterior, and maybe like the footwells or dome lights on the inside. I'm a little hesitant with the gauge cluster, since I messed mine up on my XJ and the lights I bought off Amazon didn't have a snug fit, so I was having to pull a Fonzie quite often.

Derek - Facebook

Here ya go Captain!

Check out SLPRJP ride. Damn that's nice!

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?4959-New-pics

I like that a lot! Thanks! Between that, black rims, and tinted tails, this will look sweet! Can't forget the rack delete! haha

Derek - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNiner View Post
    I like that a lot! Thanks! Between that, black rims, and tinted tails, this will look sweet! Can't forget the rack delete! haha
    I'm rescinding my comment about removing just the crossbars, LOL.

I was thinking of something different...

I believe the top section of the siderail can be removed too. I haven't done it but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few ZJs like that.

That leaves just the black flatter base part of the racks and THAT is what gives it a very different look, but without having to remove the screws and then sealing the nutserts - or dealing with possible staining under there etc...
    (I've had one or two where the screws were slightly seized which resulted in the nutserts spinning in the roof. I was just able to get needlenose vice grips in there to hold the nutserts and remove the screw, but it was a PITA)

For all that though - complete removal is the smoothest look

I'm on my phone so I can't search much, but I saw a thread on removing everything and it doesn't sound too hard. They said to use like RTV and or rubber washers to prevent leaking. I think I'm going to remove the whole setup.

Derek - Facebook

I haven't read everything in this thread but my climate controls in my 94 zj with manual controls did NOT take a 74 bulb.

Those are clear type c T5 from here:

http://www.superlumination.com/74.htm
    Last edited by Jeepjeepster; 11-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    1998 Jeep 5.9- Slate Black

That list was written by a fellow member
    Here's a good write up and install by blackzj52
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-98-zj-767865/
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 11-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.

How hard is it to replace the gauge bulbs and the shifter/temperate ones? I did the LED swap in my xj, messed up something, had to get a new cluster lol. And the bulbs weren't a tight fit.

Derek - Facebook

Since we were discussing color combinations earlier and I have to get new tires soon.. I was thinking of getting all new calipers since I've been told the stock brakes aren't very good. I was thinking of either painting the calipers red or white. Behind a black rim, on a white vehicle.

Thoughts?

Derek - Facebook