Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ayo Maggots!

Quote Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
    ..... Jeep=27 spline, dodge=31, doh! .....
    Any chance you could just get the front slip-spline section off a Dodge driveshaft and fit it on your ZJ shaft?

I have no idea if the lengths of that section would be the same as that section of yours though, etc.

If it was the correct length but just had different size UJs, I think they might sell custom ones that fit, or you could buy two UJs and fit the larger/smaller cups on the other one assuming the inner journal was the same size - I dunno, I'm totally guessing there but it's maybe worth looking into
    Last edited by Z88Z; 12-13-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Any chance you could just get the front slip-spline section off a Dodge driveshaft and fit it on your ZJ shaft?

I have no idea if the lengths of that section would be the same as that section of yours though, etc.

If it was the correct length but just had different size UJs, I think they might sell custom ones that fit, or you could buy two UJs and fit the larger/smaller cups on the other one assuming the inner journal was the same size - I dunno, I'm totally guessing there but it's maybe worth looking into
    Thats actually a great idea i never considered, worth looking into. Too bad i already pulled a 242

242 is in, driveshaft on. Tried to go on a test drive, wouldnt go into gear. Apparently the xj pedals dont have a long enough throw, and i managed to pull the piston out of the clutch master while trying to remove the push rod. Anyone know the clutch bleeding procedure?

Clutch master reassembled, what a PITA! Just a simple, cheaply made hydrolic cylinder, but keeping the o rings in place and getting the weird c clip in was a challenge.

After that, I bled it, extended the push rod, and took her for a test drive. Shifts into all gears smooth, what a blast!

Ordered the sexy new x3 from flyinryan, paid for boosted tunes in anticipation of the kenne bell install coming in the next couple of months

Woot Woot!
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

Well that sure is a thing. I guess you're the first one of the jeep fellas to grab one. Do you have the kenne bell in hand?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Yeah kenne bell is sittin in my garage. Ive gotta get my exhaust installed and pass smog, then ill install it. Lookin like a month or two, just the stock 318 is a blast with the 5 speed so im not rushing

, just the stock 318 is a blast with the 5 speed so im not rushing
    Isn't it though?

My clutch is almost gone, my mounts are pretty shot, I have a cracked header - and it's still just so damn much fun to drive!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: With only truck trannys being available for us, for an all out speed and racing build I believe the auto trans has the advantage - but for real world driving the 5 speed has the win all the way. I predict that anyone who drove a 5spd ZJ would have a hard time being satisfied going back to an auto.

for the new SCT. Can't wait to hear your impressions of your ZJ once Ryan's done his bit.

I know it's not the way you want to go but I'd still recommend hunting down a Vortech or similar unit rather than the KB - but to each his own

Hopefully my 96 pcm is workable for ryan, still yet to be seen for sure.

I never had plans to boost this jeep till this kenne bell fell into my lap. If i end up not liking it, i can sell it and find a vortech unit. Although id really prefer a turbo. Either way, ive got UNLIMITED tuning

Got any pics of the Kenne Bell man?

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    Got any pics of the Kenne Bell man?
    Post #1

Lol

Hopefully my 96 pcm is workable for ryan, still yet to be seen for sure.

I never had plans to boost this jeep till this kenne bell fell into my lap. If i end up not liking it, i can sell it and find a vortech unit. Although id really prefer a turbo. Either way, ive got UNLIMITED tuning

I wouldn't think there'd be any problems tuning the 96 PCM vs anything else - but Ryan would be the one to ask.

The thing about the KB is, from what I recall I'm pretty sure you have to cut into the cowl section some just to fit it on the motor.

That and afaik no one's been able to do it and still have a functioning passenger side wiper. (that's how far into the cowl area you have to cut)

So (to me) it would kinda suck to do all that and decide you wanted a Vortech style after the Jeeps has been cut up. I dunno though, maybe you could cut a patch panel for that area out of another ZJ if you changed your mind.

Check out Davit/Ninergrad's build thread and pics. I think he had pics of what he had to do.

I think there's at least one or two more but I can't think of their s/ns at the moment

I wouldn't think there'd be any problems tuning the 96 PCM vs anything else - but Ryan would be the one to ask.

The thing about the KB is, from what I recall I'm pretty sure you have to cut into the cowl section some just to fit it on the motor.

That and afaik no one's been able to do it and still have a functioning passenger side wiper. (that's how far into the cowl area you have to cut)

So (to me) it would kinda suck to do all that and decide you wanted a Vortech style after the Jeeps has been cut up. I dunno though, maybe you could cut a patch panel for that area out of another ZJ if you changed your mind.

Check out Davit/Ninergrad's build thread and pics. I think he had pics of what he had to do.

I think there's at least one or two more but I can't think of their s/ns at the moment
    Ryans workin on it as we speak

Ive looked through ninergrads build, im not too worried about the passenger wiper, ill put in a manual wiper if my passengers complain :haha:

I dont forsee a centrifugal sc. Pushing 33s im looking for low rpm performance, the twin screw should fit that bill. And My jeep gets used and abused, a clean niner id be much more hesitant to cut up.

Im interested to see how much the cowel is in the way, my tranny mount is higher from stock so it tilted the motor away from the cowel just a bit

Post #1

Lol
    Ah my bad I totally missed the first part of this thread ,nice KB!

Well long story short, my starter wires melted and shorted on the block while i was driving, completely cut all power instantly.

Pulled all the fuses in the box next to the battery, they look good. I dont have any idea where to start.

Should i just throw his jeep away and start fresh?

Kind of a radical suggestion, LOL, but - why not just replace the wire?

How much/what got fried? Anything else besides the starter wires?

How did you have it set up - did you run one longer wire direct from the battery to the starter? How about from the alt to the batt?

If you haven't done it already, run the batt to starter cable by itself, then the alt to batt and batt to PDC and tie them all in with military style battery clamps.

Did the solenoid wire get fried? Kind of a PITA but you could just run another one.

Just get yourself some nice standoffs to keep the cable away from the block. Grab some like the ZJs use by the oil pan and route it carefully.

Also - and again, if you haven't done it already - if you're going to go with that blower setup now might be a good time to think about relocating the battery. I don't recall exactly how much room the KB takes up on the passenger side compared to the Vortech types, but with most of the other blowers you're better off relocating the battery to the same position on the driver's side. Or just 'go big' and go for the trunk mount setup.

Now would be the time to do it so you can set up the battery cables the way you'll need them eventually, plus from the driver's side it's a shorter run to your starter

Alt wire is simple to set up - just run it from the alt to the PDC, then tie it in with a second lug and run that wire from the PDC back to the battery. Several ways you could run that but I'd try going along the radiator shroud or whatever.

Before you make that wire it might be a good time to make a bracket and turn your PDC sideways too - if it needs additional clearance there for the blower or whatever.

We have a thread or two about doing the "Big 3" batt cable upgrades. That has a link to a guy that makes nice custom cables, but search function seems to still be down so I don't have the link atm

SCT Tuning Guru

The deal with the 96 PCM specifically is that they do not have some of the items that I have used on other (read: newer) PCMs to eliminate trans CELs. I've agreed to attempt it, whether it will be CEL free is a different story. If all else fails a 318 5 spd Ram PCM will work. In many cases I have seen 96 model year PCMs be somewhat less "refined" than 97+. It is apparent that Chrysler added further capabilities to JTEC as the years went on.
    Always outmanned...Never outgunned

Kind of a radical suggestion, LOL, but - why not just replace the wire?

How much/what got fried? Anything else besides the starter wires?

How did you have it set up - did you run one longer wire direct from the battery to the starter? How about from the alt to the batt?

If you haven't done it already, run the batt to starter cable by itself, then the alt to batt and batt to PDC and tie them all in with military style battery clamps.

Did the solenoid wire get fried? Kind of a PITA but you could just run another one.

Just get yourself some nice standoffs to keep the cable away from the block. Grab some like the ZJs use by the oil pan and route it carefully.

Also - and again, if you haven't done it already - if you're going to go with that blower setup now might be a good time to think about relocating the battery. I don't recall exactly how much room the KB takes up on the passenger side compared to the Vortech types, but with most of the other blowers you're better off relocating the battery to the same position on the driver's side. Or just 'go big' and go for the trunk mount setup.

Now would be the time to do it so you can set up the battery cables the way you'll need them eventually, plus from the driver's side it's a shorter run to your starter

Alt wire is simple to set up - just run it from the alt to the PDC, then tie it in with a second lug and run that wire from the PDC back to the battery. Several ways you could run that but I'd try going along the radiator shroud or whatever.

Before you make that wire it might be a good time to make a bracket and turn your PDC sideways too - if it needs additional clearance there for the blower or whatever.

We have a thread or two about doing the "Big 3" batt cable upgrades. That has a link to a guy that makes nice custom cables, but search function seems to still be down so I don't have the link atm
    Looks like the wires touched the exhaust, damn exhaust shop.

I ended up replacing and re routing the wire and wrapping it in some thermo reflective tape just in case.

Id like that link when you have a chance, no rush though

Thanks!

So i finally had time to get ryans tunes flashed on my pcm. First impressions; 91 octane and manual trans delete are awesome. Pulls smoothly and altogether runs smoother. About 5 key cycles so far, no cels related to the auto trans or anything else. All i did was pull the auto trans junk and load ryans tunes. No gpr or other wiring needed so far.

Cant wait to get this thing smogged then comes the KB install

A couple tanks of gas and still no cels. Trans delete on 96 zj pcm successful. Gonna try to get smogged this week.

Today i spent a couple hours wiring in my reverse sensor, installing an oil catch can and worked on cleaning up my kegger

How did you setup your catch can? What did you use? Ive been planning on setting one up once i get my new intake and heads. Try to keep the oil out of them.
    1998 Jeep 5.9- Slate Black

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepjeepster View Post
    How did you setup your catch can? What did you use? Ive been planning on setting one up once i get my new intake and heads. Try to keep the oil out of them.

I picked up a compressed air filter with 1/4" inlet and outlet, two 1/4" barbed hose fittings and two hose clamps. I used pcv line from my old motor and attached the filter in between

4th gear 4k rpms on 33s with blown rear shocks, like a ****in roller coaster. This thing is fun! Lol