Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ayo Maggots!

Same here... glad you got it hooked up.

Got more stuff hooked up, and un needed stuff yanked. A/c, and auto trans officially deleted.

Dakota nv3500 shifter location in zj

Another wiring question to those with jeeps put together: distributer and cps pigtails are the same. Coming from the harness, the identical pigtails split from different locations. One splits at the same location as two injectors on the driverside. The other pigtail splits from more center in the engine bay. I assume the first pigtail i mention is the distributer, the more centered pigtail the cps, based on wire length. But they both can reach either way. Can some one take a quick look and maybe pic?
    Last edited by MurdaJ; 11-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Getting ready to mod my keg, apparently my 96 came with egr?? But i cant remember uninstalling it when i removed the intake a year ago, and i didnt see it in my pile of parts.

Notice the divider wall? Egr tube...

And the egr casting, looks like a block off plate, by also an open, threaded area?

If it is in fact egr equipped, any problems deleting it in my CA smog vehicle?

Looks like it has already been deleted if it is not hooked up....

Well my pile of parts isnt very organized, it could be in there somewhere. I just need to pass smog, im not even sure if its required or not

Quote Originally Posted by MurdaJ View Post
    Another wiring question to those with jeeps put together: distributer and cps pigtails are the same. Coming from the harness, the identical pigtails split from different locations. One splits at the same location as two injectors on the driverside. The other pigtail splits from more center in the engine bay. I assume the first pigtail i mention is the distributer, the more centered pigtail the cps, based on wire length. But they both can reach either way. Can some one take a quick look and maybe pic?
    Bump

Nvm got it figured out. Also got the 5 speed v8 zj fired up for the first time! Sounded great, until i noticed flames in the
    engine bay. Goddamn fuel rail crossover line, cheap ass brittle plastic, goddamnit. Luckily i got it out quick enough to save all the wires and hoses back behind the intake. Gotta clean up the mess, double and triple check all the wires, finish fabbing the crossmember, then fire her back up and head to the exhaust shop!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the dizzy ignited the fumes from the leaky fuel rail; flames lasted about 15-20 seconds, minimal damage to surrounding rubber/ plastic. There arent any other theories i can come up with yet

Getting ready to mod my keg, apparently my 96 came with egr?? But i cant remember uninstalling it when i removed the intake a year ago, and i didnt see it in my pile of parts.

Notice the divider wall? Egr tube...

And the egr casting, looks like a block off plate, by also an open, threaded area?

If it is in fact egr equipped, any problems deleting it in my CA smog vehicle?

That's freakin weird looking.

Our EGR intakes don't look like that, we just have the thing that looks like what that plate is covering but even that's in a slightly different place.

Question though - why not throw your original intake on there? Or was this originally not a 5.2?
    Last edited by Z88Z; 12-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    That's freakin weird looking.

Our EGR intakes don't look like that, we just have the thing that looks like what that plate is covering but even that's in a slightly different place.

Question though - why not throw your original intake on there? Or was this originally not a 5.2?
    Ok good so its not just me that thought it was weird. Thats original 96 5.2 zj intake manifold. I swapped in a 98 dak motor, planning on modding the 96 and fixing the plenum, then swapping it in.The 98 has 130k but lookin down the butterflies doesnt look like much, if any oil, so the plenum should be ok for now.

That's a ZJ intake there with the EGR stuff?

I was comparing it to my 93 intake so I guess it's a slightly different animal.

What did the round hole go to?

As far as emissions, I don't know. What may have worked (deleting EGR) on an early ZJ might not work on an OBD2 ZJ, as the PCM is (probably) a little more sophisticated.

Of course it depends on the PCM you put in there too. If you got one that wasn't looking for an EGR it might pass as far as not having any CELs - but that depends on how they do the emissions inspection too. If they do visual and actually look for the EGR stuff it might need to be there.

Was that block off plate on there from the factory? Did the round tube go to the exhaust?

That's a ZJ intake there with the EGR stuff?

I was comparing it to my 93 intake so I guess it's a slightly different animal.

What did the round hole go to?

As far as emissions, I don't know. What may have worked (deleting EGR) on an early ZJ might not work on an OBD2 ZJ, as the PCM is (probably) a little more sophisticated.

Of course it depends on the PCM you put in there too. If you got one that wasn't looking for an EGR it might pass as far as not having any CELs - but that depends on how they do the emissions inspection too. If they do visual and actually look for the EGR stuff it might need to be there.

Was that block off plate on there from the factory? Did the round tube go to the exhaust?
    Yeah, 96 zj, original pcm and intake. Afaik original, im 2nd owner, 1st owner had a lot of receipts of prior service.
    I didnt put that block off plate on, and im pretty sure there was nothing in that threaded hole. I had no cels or trouble passing smog, my k&n cai wont pass visual so they are looking, at least for obvious stuff.

YES & YES.

1996 models had no EGR period. The block off plate and plug are factory, the kegger is a left over from the previous year.

your emissions testers should know that right off the bat by the VIN.

I didnt take a plug out, but ill put one in!

I didnt take a plug out, but ill put one in!
    WHAT??? Is that hole open to the outside with no plug? Seems like you rig would not run if it were sucking air in from that hole.

I realy wish I could remember what size that plug was. I bought this EGR delet kit (( http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-22...and/Detail.bok ))
    just for the plug. If you can wait untill friday I can tell you what size it is so you dont have to buy a .75 cent plug for $27 and shipping.

..... Our EGR intakes don't look like that, we just have the thing that looks like what that plate is covering but even that's in a slightly different place.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ-John View Post
    YES & YES.

1996 models had no EGR period. The block off plate and plug are factory, the kegger is a left over from the previous year.

your emissions testers should know that right off the bat by the VIN.

Well I feel kinda dumb now (hey, I'm retarded - DEAL WITH IT! LOLz)

ZJ-John came through with the right advice though - and now I'm thinking there's no problem here at all.

Looking at your pics MJ, seeing the intake at that weird angle made it look like kind of an optical illusion where I thought that back hole was a tubey lookin' thing coming up at a whole different angle

So I just went down and looked at my EGR intake again and now I get it... EGR valve was what was bolted on top and the rear hole was threaded for the nut on the tube that went to the exhaust manifold.

I haven't dealt with the EGR thing in a while and was picturing the setup completely wrong - thinking the tube to the exhaust screwed onto the top part and and the round nut on the tube screwed into the exhaust. (which is extra dumbass of me, cuz I do know the blockoff plate for the headers with EGR is a diamond shaped bolt on piece)

So for early 96 (or through the year, whatever...) they must have been using the leftover EGR intakes to get rid of them - so the factory must have used exactly the same kit as the one in the link ZJ-John posted

So... I'm guessing if you just probed the hole a little deeper you'd find a screwed in plug exactly like the one in the link John posted, cuz like he said it wouldn't have run with a big hole like that.
    Last edited by Z88Z; 12-03-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Well I feel kinda dumb now (hey, I'm retarded - DEAL WITH IT! LOLz)

ZJ-John came through with the right advice though - and now I'm thinking there's no problem here at all.
    Hey, we ORIGINAL ZJ owners have to stick together and educate the second gen Z's on all the minutia that makes ours so much better.

So for early 96 (or through the year, whatever...) they must have been using the leftover EGR intakes to get rid of them - so the factory must have used exactly the same kit as the one in the link ZJ-John posted

So... I'm guessing if you just probed the hole a little deeper you'd find a screwed in plug exactly like the one in the link John posted, cuz like he said it wouldn't have run with a big hole like that.
    It's hard to tell from the pic, but it may be filled inside the intakes tube. Maybe some probing with a peice of wire.

I'm guessing it's got that threaded plug from you link already screwed into the hole.

It's probably just deep enough that MJ didn't notice it. For it to run and unless he removed it - it's pretty much gotta be there.

I'm thinking that Hypotek kit you posted is a direct copy of what Mopar used in 96 to use up their EGR intake stock on the non-EGR 96s. I don't see a P/N for that kit but who knows - it might even be a Mopar kit

I'm guessing it's got that threaded plug from you link already screwed into the hole.

It's probably just deep enough that MJ didn't notice it.
    I doubt it. I put the plug in my spare intake and could barely get it to bottom out. Maybe it is plugged inside the intake???

I doubt it. I put the plug in my spare intake and could barely get it to bottom out. Maybe it is plugged inside the intake???
    dunno - the inside of the hole looks kind of uniformly the same color as the intake, not darker like there's a hole. Plus there's the whole "it ran" thing, LOL so there's gotta be something in there.

Maybe they went with a freeze plug type cap in there rather than screw in? Seems like that woulda required sealer though.

c'mon Murda, the suspense is killing is! Check out that hole and get back to us

Yeah, 96 zj, original pcm and intake. ...
    Did you say you're going to try the Dodge 5spd PCM trick on this?

I don't know too much about the mid-years but I think I recall reading that 96, 97, 98, all have little differences so you might be best off looking for a 96.

FYI, if you're going with SCT then it doesn't really need to be a 5.9 PCM. SCT overwrites all the data so a 5.2 PCM can be re-written for it if it's easier to find. ( from the last time I looked it seemed like 5.9 5spd PCMs were a lot less common than 5.2 5spd PCMs - but that may depend on your area etc...)

Ryan can also re-write your stock (auto trans) PCM and turn off the auto trans section. I believe he said there was one parameter that had to be fudged - but I forgot to ask him how/if that affected vehicles that have to pass emissions testing

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it may be filled inside the intakes tube. Maybe some probing with a peice of wire.
    After some probing, it appears to be plugged just inside that threaded hole. If i were to remove the block off plate and look down It is cast shut. I filled it with pb blaster and it didnt drain into the intake tube and into the keg. So it seems i may be ok when i remove the divider and egr tube.

c'mon Murda, the suspense is killing is! Check out that hole and get back to us

Did you say you're going to try the Dodge 5spd PCM trick on this?

I don't know too much about the mid-years but I think I recall reading that 96, 97, 98, all have little differences so you might be best off looking for a 96.

FYI, if you're going with SCT then it doesn't really need to be a 5.9 PCM. SCT overwrites all the data so a 5.2 PCM can be re-written for it if it's easier to find. ( from the last time I looked it seemed like 5.9 5spd PCMs were a lot less common than 5.2 5spd PCMs - but that may depend on your area etc...)

Ryan can also re-write your stock (auto trans) PCM and turn off the auto trans section. I believe he said there was one parameter that had to be fudged - but I forgot to ask him how/if that affected vehicles that have to pass emissions testing
    Ive been busy workin on gettin this beast running!

I was going to do the 5 speed pcm swap, but i havent been able to find a donor; so im going the flyinryan route. He linked me to a guy with a 2001 dakota who figured out how to get rid of the only cel ryan cant seem to delete. Heres some pics for the 2001 dakota

I know thats a 01 dodge 46re vs my 96 zj 44re but it should be close enough

Last edited by MurdaJ; 12-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Cool. So with that mod it will be CEL free and pass emissions?

If so that's a good way to go as it eliminates the whole "hunting for the proper PCM" thing. I know some Dodge PCMs seems to work fine with the Jeeps and some don't. I heard the PCMs go bad from sitting but I never confirmed if it was that or if there were incompatible PCMs out there

Any chance you could repost those right side up? LOLz ... and do you have a link to the forum or whatever?

So what exactly is going on in that fix? - I can't quite see it. From the handwritten diagram part it almost looks like you're adding two resistors, but from the pics it almost looks like you're just wiring the temp sensor back in the harness?

Also - I'd want a lot better connection than that for something that looks like it's under the vehicle. Solder everything and use heat shrink tubing - preferably the kind that has it's own sealer if you can find it.

I'd almost recommend doing it up by the PCM instead but going into the wiring harness up there isn't for the feint hearted, plus it might need to be on the eng/trans side of the harness anyway depending on what else splices into those wires

There shouldnt be any cels after that, and ill be the guinea pig for the smog test. Hope it passes, lol.

As far the fix, it appears he wired in the stock sensor, not sure why he didnt just plug it in. Im not familiar with the solenoid or sensor though. Heres the link to the thread, gotta be a member to see the pics but i copy/pasted them all above http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26894

... it appears he wired in the stock sensor, not sure why he didnt just plug it in. ....

That sensor is inside the trans, and I'm going by memory here - but I think the connector to that sensor is actually wired to the back side of the "sealed into the tranny" connector that sits just behind the shifter linkage.

So those four wires (along with a bunch more) went into the connector that plugged into that connector that's sealed (with an O ring) in the trans body, then out the back side of it and to the plug for the sensor.

Since you don't need all the other wires (and to eliminate having that big plug hanging out in the middle of nowhere under there) he cut the connector off the body harness and put those four wires right to the ones on the sensor connector

My only concern about emissions would be that it isn't going to be seeing temps like the inside of a transmission - although....

....it might only need to have the complete circuit and won't actually be reading it.

If I have it right - they way Ryan explained it to me, the PCM wants to see certain circuits complete even if it isn't necessarily using them - like for example I think you can eliminate it from reading the rear O2 sensor, but it still wants to see the circuit and will pop a CEL if it isn't seeing that the sensor is there. (I don't want to answer for Ryan but I believe that's the way he explained it to me)

That's probably how that works
    Last edited by Z88Z; 12-10-2013 at 09:16 AM.

That sensor is inside the trans, and I'm going by memory here - but I think the connector to that sensor is actually wired to the back side of the "sealed into the tranny" connector that sits just behind the shifter linkage.

So those four wires (along with a bunch more) went into the connector that plugged into that connector that's sealed (with an O ring) in the trans body, then out the back side of it and to the plug for the sensor.

Since you don't need all the other wires (and to eliminate having that big plug hanging out in the middle of nowhere under there) he cut the connector off the body harness and put those four wires right to the ones on the sensor connector

My only concern about emissions would be that it isn't going to be seeing temps like the inside of a transmission - although....

....it might only need to have the complete circuit and won't actually be reading it.

If I have it right - they way Ryan explained it to me, the PCM wants to see certain circuits complete even if it isn't necessarily using them - like for example I think you can eliminate it from reading the rear O2 sensor, but it still wants to see the circuit and will pop a CEL if it isn't seeing that the sensor is there. (I don't want to answer for Ryan but I believe that's the way he explained it to me)

That's probably how that works
    Ok, that makes more sense regarding the sensor.

And i think you are right about the cel only popping up if the circuit is broken, it is not looking fo specific readings, the pcm periodically "checks" to see if the circuit is complete.

I will know for sure in a few weeks.

On another note, seeing as my stock driveshaft is the perfect length, i went to slide it into the slip yoke on the 231d hd. Jeep=27 spline, dodge=31, doh!

So i have two choices:
    One: jeep slip yoke eliminator and new driveshaft, around $425
    Two: junkyard 242 or 231 and hope my stock ds is long enough

Im up for trading my 231d hd for a 231j or 242, someone planning on a sye anyways but no luck yet