Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    So I wouldn't have to collect data then if I'm not planning on upgrading a lot? Aside from a CAI, I'm doing the 3'' exhaust, and later on headers. Possibly injectors down the line, but nothing in the near future.
    Don't stop for nothing, it's full speed or nothing

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

Key word in you last post is injectors. New injectors, no data log, no tune by Ryan.

Just picked the ZJ and tuner up. Tuner appears to work and not be VIN locked to another vehicle. Had the guy show it to me and he had filled up with mid grade and used the tuner to switch to using that efficiently. Going to switch that back and run premium once the tank is empty though.

Thanks for the help guys!

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

What a good deal.... welcome to the lucky SOB club...

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    What a good deal.... welcome to the lucky SOB club...

Thanks!

So, should I wait to install my CAI and exhaust upgrade before I message Ryan about a specific tune for my vehicle? Those are really the only two things I'm doing to the vehicle performance wise. Aside from a basic tune up (cap, rotor, plugs), headlights, and audio.

Derek - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNiner View Post
    Those are really the only two things I'm doing to the vehicle performance wise.
    You say that now... But one you start, you won't want to stop.

Thanks!

So, should I wait to install my CAI and exhaust upgrade before I message Ryan about a specific tune for my vehicle? Those are really the only two things I'm doing to the vehicle performance wise. Aside from a basic tune up (cap, rotor, plugs), headlights, and audio.
    Go ahead and install your CAI and exhaust. You'll notice better performance as taking in more air and passing gas, excuse the phrase are both good things even before your tune. That's what I did and Ms. Plat thanked me for it. I got my FlyinRyan tune afterwards. Another very good thing to do if you haven't already done so is to install a plenum fix plate.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Another very good thing to do if you haven't already done so is to install a plenum fix plate.
    Actually not just good to do. Its mandatory for a flyinryan tune. IMO its just outright mandatory and should happen before anything at all, period. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
    You say that now... But one you start, you won't want to stop.
    Oh I know. After building my XJ up, I'm going to have to show some self control haha.

Go ahead and install your CAI and exhaust. You'll notice better performance as taking in more air and passing gas, excuse the phrase are both good things even before your tune. That's what I did and Ms. Plat thanked me for it. I got my FlyinRyan tune afterwards. Another very good thing to do if you haven't already done so is to install a plenum fix plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Actually not just good to do. Its mandatory for a flyinryan tune. IMO its just outright mandatory and should happen before anything at all, period. No ifs, ands, or buts.
    I just searched what that is, and it looks like a very fun.. lol How hard is it to do?

Derek - Facebook

Buying Tuner Used / Questions

I just searched what that is, and it looks like a very fun.. lol How hard is it to do?
    It's not very hard. That being said, I haven't installed one. I've had the intake manifold off and replaced the gaskets, but that's just a temporary and ultimately ineffective fix.

Check out pages 10 and 11 here.http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...290#post122290 It's not a how to but it will give you an idea. If you have all you parts set up and ready you can easily do it in a day. I'm very thorough, anal and methodical so I allowed myself the three days it took me. When I pulled the intake I replaced my rotor, cap, ignition coil, plugs and wires. I also installed a 50 mm bored throttle body. I checked everything ten times. I wasn't in a hurry so it all came out correct. Blew me away after the last bit of work which was a coolant fill and oil change when I turned the key and she fired right up without a hiccup. This is a must do. You'll do it once and most likely never again. My nine never pinged before the plenum fix but as said before if you want Ryan to tune your ride this will have to be done. It was a very rewarding project.

So I'm learning as I go when it comes to anything automotive related. I've covered suspension with my XJ, and now I'm going onto engines and all that. This is my first V8 (use to the straight 6), so I'm removing the intake manifold, cleaning the old gasket off/area, putting the plenum plate, and putting it back together? But it's obviously a bit more technical than that. You had to drain your coolant/oil as well?

Thanks for the info and explaining it to me lol. Very nice Jeep by the way! Love that custom shifter handle!

Derek - Facebook

So I'm learning as I go when it comes to anything automotive related. I've covered suspension with my XJ, and now I'm going onto engines and all that. This is my first V8 (use to the straight 6), so I'm removing the intake manifold, cleaning the old gasket off/area, putting the plenum plate, and putting it back together? But it's obviously a bit more technical than that. You had to drain your coolant/oil as well?

Thanks for the info and explaining it to me lol. Very nice Jeep by the way! Love that custom shifter handle!
    Thanks. If you don't already have one this is the first investment to make after your Jeep. I couldn't and wouldn't do any mechanical work on my Niner without it. Makes for a great read while eating you breakfast, lunch or dinner. http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=1998%2...d=542558523797

For what it's worth the last car I ever worked on before my Plat was a 1957 Chevy and that was in 1966! You are not alone.
    Last edited by MexiJeeper; 11-06-2013 at 08:18 PM.

You will need to remove the intake which requires moving the accessory bracket over. You will spill coolant and some will spill into the oil. That is why you want to change the oil afterwards. There is a particular plate you need to buy. You can't just put the old or even a new stock one back on. It's a thin piece of shit and you need to find the plate from either one of our vendors or Hughes which is much thicker. There are a few particular torque sequences that you'll need to follow and you'll need an inch-lb wrench. There are a few things that are worth it to replace while in there but we can cross that bridge when you come to it.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Thanks. If you don't already have one this is the first investment to make after your Jeep. I couldn't and wouldn't do any mechanical work on my Niner without it. Makes for a great read while eating you breakfast, lunch or dinner. http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=1998%2...d=542558523797

For what it's worth the last car I ever worked on before my Plat was a 1957 Chevy and that was in 1966! You are not alone.

I will definitely be investing in one! Thanks!

Edit: So like I mentioned earlier, the previous owner tuned the engine to run mid grade. When the tank runs empty, I'd like to tune back to premium, assuming it'll be a noticeable difference. I just have nothing to judge. How would I do this? How empty does the tank have to be?
    Last edited by CaptainNiner; 11-07-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Derek - Facebook

Even if your near a 1/4 tank or mid, fill it to the tits with 91 or even better some 93 or 94 if you have it available in your area. Drive nice with it tuned back for 91 for the first 1/2 then refill. That should be diluted enough to be very very close to cleared out.

Regarding the plenum fix, just drain the coolant right out, use a shop vac on the block through the lower rad hose. Then again once you pull the upper hose off the t stat housing. That should get just about all of it out. Then once done, refill with just water and baby it down to a shop to have the whole coolant system flushed right out.

The plenum is not a difficult job just lots of steps to get in to it and lots to button it back up. If you're ambitious you could also pull the timing cover and change out your timing chain and gears. Your basically only a few steps away by the time you're pulling the intake manifold.
    '98 5.9L Grand Cherokee - SCT (FlyinRyan tuned), Thorley Headers, 3" Kolak Exhaust (Flowmaster 50 & Magnaflow Cat), Mopar Purple Cam, HS Roller Rockers, AEM/ Ebay CAI, 52mm BLKDAK TB, Modded Keg, MSD Ignition, 44A Aussie Locked, 3.5" IRO w Doetsch shocks, front and rear adjustable TB's, Toyo AT2 265/75R16

'87 RX-7 - RacingBeat Header, 2.25" Exhaust, CAI, RacingBeat Flywheel, LSD, Teins S Springs, Sold

'87 RX-7 TII - Corksport 3" DP, 2.5" Custom Exhaust, Corksport CAI, BNR Stage 1 Turbo, Fidenzia AL flywheel, Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Tein S Springs, Rtek7 1.7 ECM

'03 Polaris 8oo XCSP

'06 Polaris 8oo HO Sportsman - 27" Mud lite XL's, Uni Air Filter, 2" level, QSC clutch kit

Sounds good! And unfortunately I couldn't watch the previous owner very well since it was in the dark, but how do I tune it back to 93? Does the vehicle have to be running? I'm sure it's very simple, but I just don't want to fry anything like that.

Also, since it's been running mid grade for some time (previous owner had it tuned like that and it was his DD for at least like 3 months), is there anything I can run through the engine? Seafoam? Octane booster? I don't know what's snake oil and what's not.

Derek - Facebook

When you plug in the SCT it will prompt you as what to do.

When you plug in the SCT it will prompt you as what to do.

Oh OK, cool. And I'm assuming it'll only work when the car is running? I honestly haven't touched the tuner, or even the vehicle since I got it. Waiting to be registered.

Derek - Facebook

check PM
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

After talking reading this thread, and talking to LB, I finally tuned the Jeep back to the 93 Octane tune. I ran the tank of mid grade down to about a 1/4 tank, poured in some NOS octane booster, filled it up with 93, then did the tune. Can't say I notice a difference, since I was worried about running mid grade while tuned for 93, but I should almost be out of whatever's left of it. Would it be beneficial at all to continue using an octane booster, or at least run some Seafoam through the tank after a few more fill ups? I just want to make sure the engine is fairly clean from anything, now that it's back to normal.

Cheers!

Derek - Facebook

Nah just regs 93 now. You wouldn't notice a difference....those are Sean tunes.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Now I just have to replace my plenum plate and I can talk to Ryan! lol

Derek - Facebook

I would replace that plenum with an M1 and never worry about it again.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Is there a price difference? I'll also probably have a shop do this lol. I highly doubt it'll be done without a hitch or some issue if I do it haha.

Derek - Facebook