Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Buying Tuner Used / Questions

So I'm buying my ZJ from a guy in a few days. He told me he as an SCT tuner he used that he could sell me for $200. I was asking around and someone said to make sure it's not VIN locked to another vehicle. Is that possible? Is it then useless to another vehicle?

The seller was also saying the tuner can tune your engine to accept mid grade, and gain an additional 50hp? I took it with a grain of salt, but I'm just wondering the full capabilities of this tuner. Since I was going to buy one eventually, but if I could get a deal on one, why not, right?

Cheers
    Don't stop for nothing, it's full speed or nothing

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

It should be locked to the vehicle that it comes with would be my guess. It will be useless to another vehicle until the current one is returned to stock or is unlocked by SCT. I dont know what the midgrade 50hp jazz is all about exactly but I am tuned by FlyinRyan on this site and have had great results.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

How do I know if it's locked to a vehicle? Or is it worth just buying and easy to reset it? It could be possible the guy is selling it to me since it might be locked the the ZJ I'm buying, and won't work on his WJ?

Derek - Facebook
    5.9 - Monstaliner bed liner (black) on exterior - 3'' Kolak exhaust - SCT Tuner - Stock rubber cup holder - K&N 4'' filter with Spectre hat - 52mm Holley TB - 4 JBL coax speakers/dual 12s - Custom retrofitted projectors - ZJ Build Thread
    92 XJ - 7'' lift, SeriousOffroad long arms, Bilstein 5100s, 33x12.50s Kumho MTs, and many more parts and dents. - XJ Build Thread

If the tuner is locked, you can pay to get it undone by SCT, that cost is $150. Then it can accept new tunes. If that tuner was used on this jeep you are looking at it can be unlocked and set back to stock. Yes it can be tuned for 87 octane. Tony (Mexi) I know for sure has that tune and his jeep runs fine. If that tuner was used on the jeep or they know what vehicle it was used on then they should be able to unlock it.

- - - Updated - - -

If its not locked it will say "device status: stock"

I still thought the tuner had to program in the VIN for new vehicle. A tuner can only be used for 1 vehicle at a time(i think) and only 3 different vins total. All this being said if its locked to the jeep you are buying then you are all good and the $200 is worth it.....sorta...I think he should just include it but whatever.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    If the tuner is locked, you can pay to get it undone by SCT, that cost is $150. Then it can accept new tunes. If that tuner was used on this jeep you are looking at it can be unlocked and set back to stock. Yes it can be tuned for 87 octane. Tony (Mexi) I know for sure has that tune and his jeep runs fine. If that tuner was used on the jeep or they know what vehicle it was used on then they should be able to unlock it.

- - - Updated - - -

If its not locked it will say "device status: stock"
    OK, so I'm looking for that "device stats: stock" to know if it's unlocked. And if it is, I guess just pay the $150? If it's locked maybe I'll ask him to come down in price then.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    I still thought the tuner had to program in the VIN for new vehicle. A tuner can only be used for 1 vehicle at a time(i think) and only 3 different vins total. All this being said if its locked to the jeep you are buying then you are all good and the $200 is worth it.....sorta...I think he should just include it but whatever.

I think he bought it new. I'll be sure to ask. Since then that shouldn't be an issue if the vehicle I'm buying was one of the 3 or so vehicles. Also, I'm already getting a good deal on the Niner. Picking it up for $2,600. Runs fine, interior is in good condition, muffler/tailpipe leak, and a small rust looking spot on the fender.

Derek - Facebook

I would. I am hoping that it is for the jeep you are buying. That would be a good deal.

Definitely. Someone on another forum paid $200 for a locked used one and a guy said that even with the unlock fee, you're still saving money, since it's like $380 without tunes, right?

Derek - Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNiner View Post
    Definitely. Someone on another forum paid $200 for a locked used one and a guy said that even with the unlock fee, you're still saving money, since it's like $380 without tunes, right?
    Pretty much.

The old ones have been discontinued and the new model isn't out yet. That leaves used ones as the only alternative.

If it's only been used on yours, you're good.

In case you weren't familiar with the SCT thing, if you have it on your vehicle and want to use it on another vehicle you have to download the stock tune back into that first vehicle. The way it was explained to me, the SCT actually keeps the stock tune it replaces.

So you can use it on three vehicles, but only one at a time. After three it locks up and has to go back for unlocking.

I think it might actually go by a serial number rather than a VIN, but not too sure on that.

Not sure, you'd have to ask FlyinRyan this but: I think once it's locked up it probably won't work on your vehicle even if yours was one of the original three.

Also, if you tuned your ZJ with SCT and then put the PCM in another vehicle - that counts as one, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    Pretty much.

The old ones have been discontinued and the new model isn't out yet. That leaves used ones as the only alternative.

If it's only been used on yours, you're good.

In case you weren't familiar with the SCT thing, if you have it on your vehicle and want to use it on another vehicle you have to download the stock tune back into that first vehicle. The way it was explained to me, the SCT actually keeps the stock tune it replaces.

So you can use it on three vehicles, but only one at a time. After three it locks up and has to go back for unlocking.

I think it might actually go by a serial number rather than a VIN, but not too sure on that.

Not sure, you'd have to ask FlyinRyan this but: I think once it's locked up it probably won't work on your vehicle even if yours was one of the original three.

Also, if you tuned your ZJ with SCT and then put the PCM in another vehicle - that counts as one, LOL

I'll just have the guy show me how it works before I buy it.

Derek - Facebook

Assuming he even knows wtf he's talking about

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post

He's said he used it on the ZJ. I'll learn about it myself, I figure I could have him attempt to show me, that way we'll see if it's locked or not. But I guess even if it is locked, I should still get it, since it'd be cheaper?

Derek - Facebook

Hell ya.. buy the tuner and get a jeep for free. WTD man....

- - - Updated - - -

I have one sitting on my dresser. It is locked, but I got it for 100 so I am not complaining.

He's said he used it on the ZJ. I'll learn about it myself, I figure I could have him attempt to show me, that way we'll see if it's locked or not. But I guess even if it is locked, I should still get it, since it'd be cheaper? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    .....I have one sitting on my dresser. It is locked, but I got it for 100 so I am not complaining.

All of the above ^

Ask him how many vehicles it's been used on, but more importantly - have him prove it (that it's good, unlocked, etc.) by loading the tune onto the ZJ.

If it turns out to be locked, complain about how much it's going to cost to have it unlocked and see if you can get him to come down on the price $200 'might' be a lot for a locked one - or might not considering how hard they are to find right now) - but $200 for a good one seems like a pretty good deal considering they're going like hot cakes now!

Captain - in the meantime, check out this thread by Ryan himself. It might answer a few questions for you.

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...NGC-PCM-tuning

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar
    This guy sounds like he has no idea what he is talking about. I would tell him you want it included in the price of the Jeep. The tuner will work on the WJ also, but only to read and clear codes and thats about it, maybe thats what he meant?
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

It's possible. So what makes the tuner only able to clear codes on the WJ? Like it'll tune th ZJ and improve the performance, and it'll only clear codes for the WJ?

Derek - Facebook

It doubles as a code reader. So, for example the unit in question is most likely VIN locked to the 5.9, however it can be used to read/clear codes on his WJ. Being VIN locked only locks the handheld from tuning multiple vehicles. I had the same handheld when I had my 5.9, I used it all the time to check codes on other vehicles.
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

It DOES NOT double as a code reader. It makes an attempt to but fails miserably. The codes will not be correct but you can clear them.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Get an UltraGauge. Aside from giving you lots of info on performance it reads and clears codes. Less than $70.00

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    Get an UltraGauge. Aside from giving you lots of info on performance it reads and clears codes. Less than $70.00
    Yup. The ultra gauges are the tits. I really liked the ability to set alarms. Mine went off if coolant temp hit 215, if the RPMs hit 5k, if the speed hit 80mph, etc.

So is the guy mistaken then when he said there's a horsepower gain when using the tune that lets you use mid grade?

Also, I see people saying they messaged like Hemilover or someone. Will I have to message someone to get tunes?

Derek - Facebook

It DOES NOT double as a code reader. It makes an attempt to but fails miserably. The codes will not be correct but you can clear them.
    Maybe you have just had bad luck with yours, but mine always read them correctly
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

Quote Originally Posted by Redsand View Post
    Maybe you have just had bad luck with yours, but mine always read them correctly
    From everything I've ever heard - multiple times, lol - LB is right, SCT should not be used for reading codes on a ZJ.

It will show codes, but they'll correspond to like Ford codes or other models of Chryslers with systems we don't even have.

So is the guy mistaken then when he said there's a horsepower gain when using the tune that lets you use mid grade?

Also, I see people saying they messaged like Hemilover or someone. Will I have to message someone to get tunes?

Possibly but it doesn't sound right. Doesn't make that much sense to be tuning for power while trying to use a mid grade of gas, it's kinda like going in two different directions.

ummmm... I'm gonna say FlyinRyan in our vendor section.

He has some contact info in his vendor thread - but pms are NOT one of his approved methods of contact, LOL.

I'd see if the SCT even works or not (isn't locked) before you get into it too deep. If it's locked it might still be worth getting but I'd either do what Chris said ^ and talk him into throwing it in with the ZJ sale, or try to get him down on the price of the SCT.
    Also - Ryan won't tune without datalogs so you'd want to be set up for datalogging. I know that goes for any custom tuning but I think it applies to 'canned' tunes too

Also - Ryan does have a few SCTs available right now, so if that one is locked you might not want to bother with it.

IIRC I think it's $150 for the unlock and you have to pay for the handheld and tuning too - so unless his price plus $150 for the unlock is better than Ryan's price, why bother?

lol - LB is right
    As if this was something new?
    Also - Ryan won't tune without datalogs so you'd want to be set up for datalogging. I know that goes for any custom tuning but I think it applies to 'canned' tunes too
    From my understanding, canned tunes are just that, canned. They are for bolt on trucks with stock injectors. These do not REQUIRE data for Ryan to do them. Anything beyond basic bolt ons or having aftermarket injectors absolutely does require data or he WILL NOT touch it. Also you must have the plenum plate or an intake that negates the need for it.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

As if this was something new?

From my understanding, canned tunes are just that, canned. They are for bolt on trucks with stock injectors. These do not REQUIRE data for Ryan to do them. Anything beyond basic bolt ons or having aftermarket injectors absolutely does require data or he WILL NOT touch it. Also you must have the plenum plate or an intake that negates the need for it.
    Ya just beat me to it Tex. That's the correct answer.