Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pinging only with SCT

Stock 91 octane tune runs great, but I am having massive ping with both 91 and 93 octane tunes from the SCT. I am running 93 octane BP premium and still it pings with a 91 tune. I have a 180 T stat, cooling fan works great. Any ideas? This thing is worthless to me like this.

Who tuned it?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

Quote Originally Posted by lilbullie5.9 View Post
    Who tuned it?
    Sean at Hemifever

OK without getting into that. Have you replaced the plenum gasket?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

OK without getting into that. Have you replaced the plenum gasket?
    No I havent. But wouldnt it be pinging with the stock premium fuel tune if it was leaking?

you know I dont know for sure but I think Ive heard of tunes being pickier.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Pulled a bunch of air bubbles out of the cooling system left over from a previous repair, and noticed a vacuum leak at the driver side valve cover grommet. Ive heard both of these things can cause pinging. It doesnt burn any oil but Im not ruling out a small plenum leak either. I'll just keep chipping away at this beast till it runs perfect.
    Last edited by StPaul59; 08-08-2013 at 06:20 PM.

Vacuum lies kit sure also improper temps. What I didn't want to get at before was it could be that you used hemifever......
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Are they canned tunes or are you data logging and getting custom tunes?

How are your plugs and are they stock heat range or a step colder?
    04 WJ 4.7ho Ltd
    98 ZJ 5.2 Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Are they canned tunes or are you data logging and getting custom tunes?

How are your plugs and are they stock heat range or a step colder?
    Im just using the canned tunes. Plugs are new. I have NGK 7252 copper core plugs that are about 1/8" longer. Everyone seems to say they are a little colder. I could just put the champion coppers back in and see what happens.

SCT Tuning Guru
    The problem ain't the plugs......

I especially liked Ryan's last post on that thread

07-11-2013, 10:14 PM
    FlyinRyan
    DRTC Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 98ibccr/t
    just for my knowledge....when are you locked into a tuner? right from when you order your sct with canned tunes? or once you go all out and start going custom...

You are never "locked into" using any one person for tuning. Of course it is most cost effective to pick the tuner you feel will perform the best, the first time around.

Find a tuner that is as excited as you are to tune your truck, and go from there.

I thought I'd try the tunes with the cooler weather.. I tried the SCT 91 tune again last night, drove it around today and its amazingly quiet. No pinging. A big w t f ?? All Ive done since I last had the tune in was put the 195 stat back in and made sure to get all of the bubbles out of the coolant with a funnel kit. Also I relocated the intake air sensor to the air filter area.
    Last edited by StPaul59; 11-15-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
    I thought I'd try the tunes with the cooler weather.. I tried the SCT 91 tune again last night, drove it around today and its amazingly quiet. No pinging. A big w t f ?? All Ive done since I last had the tune in was put the 195 stat back in and made sure to get all of the bubbles out of the coolant with a funnel kit. Also I relocated the intake air sensor to the air filter area.
    could be the IAT relocate richening the mixture a slight bit. Maybe you were running just slightly lean. I'm not sure if it works entirely like that but I think it does.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

could be the IAT relocate richening the mixture a slight bit. Maybe you were running just slightly lean. I'm not sure if it works entirely like that but I think it does.

I put the IAT back to its original spot and the pinging returned. What the hell.

I was really wondering if the iat relocate does more damage than good..not that that's your problem obviously if your still lean..
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 11-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.

I put the IAT back to its original spot and the pinging returned. What the hell.
    Well its weird but I think you've figured it out. I prefer the IAT relocate but thats just me.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

Quote Originally Posted by CLEAN AND SLAMMED View Post
    I was really wondering if the iat relocate does more damage than good..not that that's your problem obviously if your still lean..

I am only too lean with the SCT. No pinging on stock tune. Should I keep the IAT relocate and run the 93 tune on 91 octane?? I am kinda stumped. If I had that bad of a plenum I would be pinging with the stock setup.

I am only too lean with the SCT. No pinging on stock tune. Should I keep the IAT relocate and run the 93 tune on 91 octane?? I am kinda stumped. If I had that bad of a plenum I would be pinging with the stock setup.
    So, to start its a 93 tune for a reason not a 91. I'm not sure how north you are but your tuner should be tuning for that. As far as the plenum, its not a "that bad" thing. IMO, you buy a magnum motor, you replace the plenum gasket with the upgrade. That's that. Any oil will severely effect your tune. I run a catch can with the upgraded plenum and am very happy I do. What plugs are you running?
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

So, to start its a 93 tune for a reason not a 91. I'm not sure how north you are but your tuner should be tuning for that. As far as the plenum, its not a "that bad" thing. IMO, you buy a magnum motor, you replace the plenum gasket with the upgrade. That's that. Any oil will severely effect your tune. I run a catch can with the upgraded plenum and am very happy I do. What plugs are you running?
    Yeah I hear ya. Im just not looking forward to doing the plenum.. Theres only one station around here that has 93 that I know of. Everything else is 91. Im running NGK 7252 copper core plugs that are slightly longer than the champions. I could put the champions back in and see what happens I guess.

Yeah I hear ya. Im just not looking forward to doing the plenum.. Theres only one station around here that has 93 that I know of. Everything else is 91. Im running NGK 7252 copper core plugs that are slightly longer than the champions. I could put the champions back in and see what happens I guess.
    Try NGK BKR6E. Helped me quite a bit from autolite 3923s. The plenum is not too bad. Drain some coolant, iirc there's like 6 bolts in the accessory bracket and the whole thing can swing out of the way with accessories attached. Should take about 15 min. to get to that spot then you unbolt the plenum and take care of biz.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"

SCT Tuning Guru
    OK.

The IAT has two functions. To retard timing (if that function is still intact- in most trucks I've retuned from other tuners it is not), and to modify fueling as needed. relocating will result in a richer condition across the board. How much richer, that depends on the temp difference between stock location and the new location, and if your tune has this table modified (from what I gather most do not use it).

Not to put down the OP but it's examples like this why I will not tune any truck without a plenum plate , oil contamination will cause issues with any tune. And just because you don't hear the pinging, does not mean that there isn't sub-audible detonation.

My .02
    Last edited by FlyinRyan; 11-19-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    Always outmanned...Never outgunned

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinRyan View Post
    OK.

The IAT has two functions. To retard timing (if that function is still intact- in most trucks I've retuned from other tuners it is not), and to modify fueling as needed. relocating will result in a richer condition across the board. How much richer, that depends on the temp difference between stock location and the new location, and if your tune has this table modified (from what I gather most do not use it).

Not to put down the OP but it's examples like this why I will not tune any truck without a plenum plate , oil contamination will cause issues with any tune. And just because you don't hear the pinging, does not mean that there isn't sub-audible detonation.

My .02
    I finally got the plenum done. IAT back to stock location. I stayed with the 195 stat with winter coming, but added a couple 1/8'' holes in the stat as well. I dont like the idea of starting the engine at -15 degrees and then the 180 or 195 degree coolant shooting into the radiator at once.. Anyway, drove it with the 93 octane tune and there is a slight bit of pinging still. I believe there was still some air in coolant, so we'll see what happens as the bubbles get pushed out.

Drove it today and it was considerbly warmer temp in the 80s and had the ac on. Now I could not get it to ping.