Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by apstang50 View Post
    Accel coil, Summit 8mm wires, Autolite plugs, Car Quest blue cap/rotor there brass contact line. My red top Optima crapped out on me so I put the Car Quest bat in that was in the niner when I bought it, it was brand new.
    put the redtop on a battery tender.
    Captain of the Nine

West Yarmouth, Massachusetts, United States
    I have and it still won't hold a charge, it will be fine for a week or so and than out of no where be dead. I've been told that it probably has a bad cell in it. At one point I had it on a slow charge for a week.
    98 Platimum GC 5.9 Limited Flowmaster, relocated intake temp sensor, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, white face gauges, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8MM wires, 100w fog lights w/new housings, Mopar tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, Summit Racing drilled/slotted rotors w/ EBC pads, K&N FIPK

SOLD 90 Mustang LX notchback: cobra intake, 70mm TB and spacer, fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4" long tube headers, 2 1/2" offroad h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, cobra r glass hood, glass decklid, 5-spd, cobra rims, underdrive pullys, e-fan, Steeda short through shifter

Performance Distributors Ignition Upgrade:
    Screamin Demon Coil
    10mm Live Wires
    Brass Terminal Cap and rotor
    Autolite 3923s gapped to .045''

Optima Red Top

Quote Originally Posted by country_boy454 View Post
    Performance Distributors Ignition Upgrade:
    Screamin Demon Coil
    10mm Live Wires
    Brass Terminal Cap and rotor
    Autolite 3923s gapped to .045''

Optima Red Top
    where did you get the Brass terminal cap and rotor?
    No replacement for displacement!

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ
    360 Stroker, 408c.i.

borg warner makes a nice one.... as does accel
    Rarely Active, in case you are looking for me on here.....
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

i have the summit wires and cap and rotor kit i believe it has bras termianls
    "20 year old "Masshole"

96 Limited5.2 MODIFICATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by JGC403 View Post
    where did you get the Brass terminal cap and rotor?
    came with the ignition upgrade kit.

West Yarmouth, Massachusetts, United States
    The cap/rotor I got from Car Quest and it has brass terminals.
    98 Platimum GC 5.9 Limited Flowmaster, relocated intake temp sensor, clear corners, 35% front tint, 5% sunroof tint, white face gauges, Accel coil, Summit Racing 8MM wires, 100w fog lights w/new housings, Mopar tow hooks, Mopar Performance PCM, Summit Racing drilled/slotted rotors w/ EBC pads, K&N FIPK

SOLD 90 Mustang LX notchback: cobra intake, 70mm TB and spacer, fender mounted CAI, 1 3/4" long tube headers, 2 1/2" offroad h-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, 3.73s, subframe connecters, cobra r glass hood, glass decklid, 5-spd, cobra rims, underdrive pullys, e-fan, Steeda short through shifter

Quote Originally Posted by apstang50 View Post
    The cap/rotor I got from Car Quest and it has brass terminals.
    i get them from Hughes.............
    Captain of the Nine

Accel coil
    Accel wires
    E3 plugs
    Accel cap
    Accel rotor

My summit ignition box failed on me. Solidifying my hatred for ignition boxes.
    Ross
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    MPP Headers - Thunderbolt Metallic Cat - 3" Mag catback - EBC Brakes w/ drilled Rotors - 4bbl M1 - Vortech 12psi - Built trans & 2900 stall - Ford 8.8 - Addco & Hellwig Sways - Poly Bushings - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - FX-R BiXenon Retrofit

I'm running an MSD6AL2...mounted under the dash on passenger side, love it so far.
    Where was yours mounted at?
    Past: 92 MJ --> 89 XJ --> 99 WJ --> 92 YJ [RIP] --> 98 ZJ [RIP] --> 05 LJ --> 98 ZJ
    Last: Stroker - 410Cu In, SuperCharged '98 ZJ (500hp+) @12.2 - 1/4mile.... she was a blast!!
    Click here for my build thread....Project Fireheadman 6.7L SuperCharged and Stroked

What would you guys suggest for a 408 stroker w/stock heads and a KRC 210 cam? Autolite 3923's, NGK's? Any suggestion on plugs and gaps for stroker applications would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mrtosh; 10-27-2010 at 11:43 PM.

are you racing it or just cruising?
    3923s are good choice.
    I am running NGK 2 copper plus 2 steps colder

Quote Originally Posted by 5.9_Racer View Post
    are you racing it or just cruising?
    3923s are good choice.
    I am running NGK 2 copper plus 2 steps colder
    You could say I'm a spirited driver. I'm very familiar w/LSX motors and the 4.0's. This is needless to say my first 5.9(6.7). On my GTO I run TR55's for the Heads and cam. I talked to Nick @ Kolak today and he mentioned running some iridium tipped 5224's. Wondering if I should run the stock 5224's like he mentioned or if I should run one cooler with the 3923's.... Decisions... Bah! lol.

I'd say the iridiums for longevity IF!!!!.... IF you do not plan on modding the crap out of your engine. Because when you start tuning and modding, especially if you go the SC route, you will end up sticking with coppers for their heat range flexibility and value.... Plats are ok choice, but copper have been my #1

Damn! Not looking to spend $60+on plugs. Lol. Just checked the price of the iridium ones. Should I just run some 5224's and see what happens or go the safe route with the 3923's?

I'm running the 3923s on my 5.2. I have had them in for about 1.5 yrs and no problems with them at all. Was recommended to go one heat range cooler with the Screamin Demon Coil.

accel cap and rotor with brass terminals
    msd 8.5mm wires
    ngk 5858 plugs .045 gap
    msd blaster coil

i'm a little young and dumb when it comes to the nitty gritty of the ignition on my 5.2 so someone please school me...

If the spark timing is controlled by the ecu, how does the dist not shorten (or hinder in any other way) the "window" for timing advance/retard?

I heard somewhere on here that turning the dist will advance the injectors not the spark, my instinct tells me this has to do with a cam/crank sensor, is this true? Any potential gains from this on my stock 5.2?

Is an ignition box (msd 6A or equivalent) worth the money? Would I see better response, low end increase or anything?

Would my stock 5.2 benefit in any way from a spark timing advancement? if so should i go SCT or something like an msd timing controller?

Sorry for the flood of questions, trying to learn as much as I can about these engines. Open to anyone's opinion about anything (im capable of confirming with another source so no need to argue over anything lol) Thanks in advance for the lessons!

Not sure if I'm answering the right question here, but the distributor itself can't affect the timing, that's all in the PCM.
    It has no vacc advance or centrifugal weights of any kind. In fact, nothing inside but the CPS and the only moving part in there is the shaft and rotor.

You are right, the CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor) is in there and that would affect injector timing if you moved the distirbutor - but that's not the right way to go about it.
    In fact, if the dizzy is moved/removed etc it's best to have it adjusted to restore fuel sync settings back to stock. That takes a DRB at the dealership to do, but several high end scanners by Snap-On scanners and other makers that you'll find in regular repair shops can do it too.
    (NOTE: quite a few people have kept their stock fuel sync by very carefully marking the diz and putting it back in the exact location, so it can be done if you're careful)

The rest of it is a bit beyond my pay grade LOL.

There are many others here who have a lot better handle on this than I do so hopefully they'll weigh in on the subject, but for basic info - SCT is your best bet.

You'll see some benefit from it's adjusted timing curve - possibly at the expense of an mpg or two, although some people report better mpgs with some tunes and builds.
    Plus, the tune will take care of fueling etc all in one package, ignigs won't.

The ignig boxes can be used to affect timing - but it's not gonna touch you're fueling.

Like I said, hopefully you'll hear more and better info on this.

(if it hasn't generated much response here by the end of the day I may move this thread to tech questions)

Ok cool, that answers a lot of my questions. I'll keep researching on ignig boxes as im sure the topic has been covered in here somewhere lol. perhaps tech q:'s might be a more appropriate location. Thanks for the help!

Is anyone here running Kolaks ignition upgrade? Comes with:

-Magnecor KV85 ignition wires
    -MSD high output replacement coil
    -Coil adapter pigtail harness for '98 Jeep
    -Heavy duty US made brass terminal distributor cap with rotor
    -Autolite platinum plugs (one heat range colder than stock)

Just wondering how this set-up is...?

I've got Nicks upgrade on my 93. Like it a LOT!

I'm planning on getting it for the 98s too

Quote Originally Posted by Z88Z View Post
    I've got Nicks upgrade on my 93. Like it a LOT!

I'm planning on getting it for the 98s too
    Sweet thanks! So I take it you recommend it? I'm looking to upgrade the niner pretty soon and get better throttle response.