Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grand Cherokee "Excursion" Edition

Not really new, but I thought it was neat. You thought Niners were rare? Nah. 14,000 rolled out of the factory. 5 speeds? Please. More than 2,000 of them are cluttering up the roads. Less than 200 of these $44,000 beauties ever rolled out of the factory.

Real wood trim, a tv in the headliner, a 6 disk changer, the list goes on and on...

And I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned on this site. I know it hasn't since I joined, but I'm still the new kid on the block. Sorry if its old news.

Oh wow. I'm not really sure what to say about that one lol. However that would make one hell of a trail rig.

I have seen it somewhere else but I still have to look at it and say "what the hell were they thinking" but then it kind of grows on you.

It's kind of growing on me like the black mold in my bathroom.

Wow that's... different. It does slowly grow on ya tho, would be an awesome trail/camper rig with a rooftop tent and some lift. I wonder where that is in mass..

Ima call foul here.

First off - amazing how hard it is to find info on them. All google found was the articles from that same guy and another owner or two on JF and NAGCA, LOL
    Wiki and allpar etc don't even mention it as one of the ZJ variants.

Anyway - I'm going to say that while it may (or may not?...) have been sold through Jeep dealers, I highly doubt that was built by Jeep. It just screams 'built by a conversion van company'

We now return you to your scheduled program. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    It's kind of growing on me like the black mold in my bathroom.
    I've been sick as a dog the last two days. Summer colds suck so bad.

On that note - I found some suspicious black stuff, possibly mold, on one of my walls and after the usual health horror stories from my ex I looked into black mold toxicity. That is some SERIOUS, SERIOUS, NASTY SHIT!!!

But - being as it's in the bathroom it's most likely just a dark mildew, which is a whole 'nother thing than black mold

Bathrooms are the main source of moisture, obviously, that mold needs. And there are some nasty ones out there. If it is visible, just imagine what you cant see. I crawled around doing mold abatement for a few years and seen some nasty stuff that would almost bark at you it was so hairy and oozing...

When I worked in remodeling and flipping houses in MD we were one of the few companies in the area licensed to remove asbestos and some of the nastier molds. Homeowners could either pay us to fix it or face having the house condemned. Nothing like doing construction in MOPP gear... The guy who owned the company was a retired biochemist--he'd tell us all about how dangerous the stuff was. After listening to him for two years I'm sure I'm going to have cancer or something by the time I'm 25. We got into some real nasty shit.

Z, I would at least pop out the patch of wall you saw and blast some Kilz back there. I lived in an apartment once with black mold and it gave me tremors and weird mental shit took about 2 years after I left to feel normal again. I would never risk it EVER.

Also that jeep is a straight up Vatozone special. Its a Mark III conversion with a bunch of CRAP added
    Last edited by lilbullie5.9; 07-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Black Pearl" totaled
    '98 Grand 5.9 "Eleanoir"
    "No Officer, all four tire tracks are mine, it WAS all wheel drive......yes ma'am Im aware this structure is normally used to 'park' cars"

The black mold comparison I made was just a figure of speech although I'm guessing you intelligent chaps knew that. Based on the last few posts I apperantly chose well as that's exactly how I feel about that Grand Cherokee abomination. If I look at those photos one more time I'll probably get cancer in the next 30 days. And yes camper conversion company sounds about right. If Chrysler was responsible for that "build" they would be out of business for that reason alone. A bit later I'll tell y'all how I really feel.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post

Anyone else see the ghost tweeter? Or is that just me being delirious. Haha

Believe it or not this is something that Mother Mopar authorized. My dad purchased a Slate one brand new in 1997. It's in the machine shed gathering dust now but they took it all over the country and had 150k on it by 2000. The OP is right in that there were fewer than 200 produced, and for good reason .... it really is nothing like anything else Jeep has ever done. UGLY and handles like a top-heavy brick. I drove it in high school for a while until the VC went out and it's been there ever since. I put some cheap ass American Racing rims on it, it came with Canyons.

It has a very interesting rear tire carrier that I'm still intruiged by. I remember quite fondly the trip we took to the Black Hills and how it was unthinkable that we got to watch movies while we were driving ! !

I'm not sure if it was a dealer installed package or an aftermarket thing but this one was purchased brand new locally here in Albany with 8 miles on it. Some of the "craftsmanship" really does look like it was factory done, things are put together very nicely.

The only pics I have are of the tire carrier as a buddy wanted some to model one after for his trail rig. He wisely didn't want the whole Jeep, just pictures.

'98 5.9l

Passes everything but gas stations.

I don't see what's so wrong with it - looks like a Subaru for men if Subaru's were exclusive to women.

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    Believe it or not this is something that Mother Mopar authorized.

The only pics I have are of the tire carrier as a buddy wanted some to model one after for his trail rig. He wisely didn't want the whole Jeep, just pictures....

I believe the part about it being authorized, I'm just saying that I'm pretty sure it went to a conversion company for that package.

I can't see Jeep tooling up for making the changes you see here for such a limited run, or interrupting the regular ZJ production for these.

Wasn't that the extremely rare factory spare tire carrier though? I thought I read somewhere that they made one but there aren't many out there. ...or does the Excusion have it's own model of carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullivan* View Post
    I don't see what's so wrong with it - looks like a Subaru for men if Subaru's were exclusive to women.
    Nice! LOL

That's the factory carrier.

Believe it or not this is something that Mother Mopar authorized. My dad purchased a Slate one brand new in 1997. It's in the machine shed gathering dust now but they took it all over the country and had 150k on it by 2000. The OP is right in that there were fewer than 200 produced, and for good reason .... it really is nothing like anything else Jeep has ever done. UGLY and handles like a top-heavy brick. I drove it in high school for a while until the VC went out and it's been there ever since. I put some cheap ass American Racing rims on it, it came with Canyons.

It has a very interesting rear tire carrier that I'm still intruiged by. I remember quite fondly the trip we took to the Black Hills and how it was unthinkable that we got to watch movies while we were driving ! !

I'm not sure if it was a dealer installed package or an aftermarket thing but this one was purchased brand new locally here in Albany with 8 miles on it. Some of the "craftsmanship" really does look like it was factory done, things are put together very nicely.

The only pics I have are of the tire carrier as a buddy wanted some to model one after for his trail rig. He wisely didn't want the whole Jeep, just pictures.

maybe i want it.....
    Resident speeding ticket whore

If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one.

Sorry, while a tire carrier would be nice, that this is just plain ugly and the way it mounts looks like one bad excursion and it will be ripped off.

That buddy of mine ended up making a really nice carrior that mounts in the reciever hitch. Removable for when he has to do some mall crawling and get groceries and whatever else his whipped ass is told to do.
    '98 5.9l

Quote Originally Posted by x10radsponge View Post
    .... and the way it mounts looks like one bad excursion and it will be ripped off.
    The mounting is kind of weird now that you mention it.

It's got a bracket that goes to the bumper - but it looks like where it hits the bumper is above the metal bumper frame. There's nothing there but plastic.

I'm guessing there's some kind of bracket added there, but I wonder if it's added to the bumper frame or goes all the way through to the body? If it goes through those are some long mofo bolts.

,,,and you said "one bad excursion"

I want it! Do your parents want to sell it?
    96 Orvis w/slate leather ... Long Arms, 35" LTB's, 231 swap, front LockRight.. Finishing up the built 5.9 install and I have a Klune sitting in the garage waiting its turn to go in...

Post Disclaimer: I dont live on planet Love-A-Lot and I dont sit in circles holding hands singing Kum Ba Ya. If you dont like my opinion just take it with a grain of salt, like I did yours, and simply move on. The sun will still rise, and it will be ok......

Quote Originally Posted by Dmntxn77 View Post
    I want it! Do your parents want to sell it?
    I purchased it a few years back with intentions of swapping to a 242 but lost steam when I found my niner. I'll have to think about selling it, I'm not really sure what it's worth. I fired it up and drove it around a bit a few days back as this thread was bringing back some memories and it ran great and hopped and jumped as bad as ever whilst turning. It's got 187k with very few cosmetic issues and I'm not really even sure what it's worth ..... or if it's for sale ...
    '98 5.9l

Ok...
    96 Orvis w/slate leather ... Long Arms, 35" LTB's, 231 swap, front LockRight.. Finishing up the built 5.9 install and I have a Klune sitting in the garage waiting its turn to go in...

Post Disclaimer: I dont live on planet Love-A-Lot and I dont sit in circles holding hands singing Kum Ba Ya. If you dont like my opinion just take it with a grain of salt, like I did yours, and simply move on. The sun will still rise, and it will be ok......

Steve Jobs Residential Teabagger Redsand's Avatar
    i want the seats
    -Chris-

I have a Jeep

RallyJeep GO
    I purchased it a few years back with intentions of swapping to a 242 but lost steam when I found my niner. I'll have to think about selling it, I'm not really sure what it's worth. I fired it up and drove it around a bit a few days back as this thread was bringing back some memories and it ran great and hopped and jumped as bad as ever whilst turning. It's got 187k with very few cosmetic issues and I'm not really even sure what it's worth ..... or if it's for sale ...
    If you want to fix it, I've got a spare (working) 249 that I'd be willing to give up for free (plus the cost of transport) if a friend locally doesn't want it.
    1998 ZJ 5.9 Limited - Deep Slate
    Mods: Big trans cooler, 231 swap, Indy MA-X heads prepped by IMM, Comp 20-744-9 cam, 1.7 HS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Airgap manifold, DT headers and full 3" exhaust, SCT tune homebrewed by me, Martin Saine valve body, B&M tranny pan, magic suspension made from unicorn tears, power steering cooler, lots of lighting mods