Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: My beater

This is very interesting. My hatch developed a rattle that's annoying the hell out of me. My struts are new and I replaced the bumper stops, even put some washers inside them to move them up a bit. The hatch hinges are tight. The hatch still rattles. Grrrrrr! Is the latch itself adjustable? I can't think of any other place the rattle could exist.

Quote Originally Posted by MexiJeeper View Post
    ... Is the latch itself adjustable? I can't think of any other place the rattle could exist.
    If you go way under the bumper and look up, you'll see the two studs with nuts that hold the striker (the latch is the mechanical part that does the grasping, the part it catches on the body I always referred to as the striker)

I can't remember how easy it is to see or work on if the Jeep has gas tank skid and tow bar, but I'm pretty sure there's some front to back slotting of the mounting holes - that's your adjustment.

They're petty susceptible to rust though on northern ZJs and they might snap Either way - penetrating oil is your friend!

Also, Kraig and Tony...

Remember there's the two hidden screws that are behind the carpeted section of the hatch trim panel towards the bottom outside areas of the carpeting.

The holes aren't really covered by the carpet, but the 'fuzz' of the carpet's pile hides the holes. Feel for them, stick a Philips through there. The fuzz usually keeps the screw inside there when the panel is removed.

If you took the trim off a stock ZJ you already know about those screws, but if the trim has ever been taken off by the PO or for repair, or in a case like Kraig's where the hatch has been replaced, the person doing the repair might have forgot (or been too lazy) to reinstall them.
    Or if they were impatient or thought it was just panel clips holding it there - they might even have broken the trim panel and that point, leaving the screw and a broken piece of panel on the hatch.

^ that middle area of the panel where those two screws go is a big open area of plastic on body panel. If it wasn't secured at those points I'm sure it would lead to some form of noise or rattle.

Other than that - if you look at the pic I put in Kraig's hatch thread - there's isn't a whole lot to rattle inside the hatches.

The lock motor/solenoid could be loose. It's behind the panel to the passenger side of the latch. You can't see it but you can see the screws. Easy enough to check.

Other than that there's just the wiper motor and latch and striker for the window, or maybe the linkage on the latch mechanism.

I suppose if the seal around that license plate surround was missing, rotted, etc it could lead to some noise but I've never heard of that happening

I need a cover asap , this thing is falling apart smh
    Attached Images Attached Images

[url]http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=190920353148[/u
    Ordered
    Last edited by CLEAN AND SLAMMED; 06-13-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Got some things to do this weekend , got the rest of my LEDs in mail to finish up my interior and running lights and headlights thanks to Max .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got my new headlights in , now just waiting for my HIDS to come in ,new on right ,old on left

So, you going to p-dip those wheels? The fog's look good by the way. Think will grab a set of those bulbs myself.

You won't be disappointed with those fogs and no I'm not gonna pdip em ,ima paint them eventually

Sounds good